Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2015, 05:48   #1

Boat: Moody 37
What to do with old sails

I have my old main and genoa(dacron ) from my moody 37 taking up room in my garage. Any ideas on who might want them?
davewtsnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 06:04   #2
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: What to do with old sails

There is a group of people who gather these things and donate them to Haitian fishermen. The Haitian's are overjoyed to get sail material of any kind. I don't know the name of the group but hopefully someone on here will see this and have the info handy.
Old 14-12-2015, 06:25   #3

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Sea bags will cover the cost of shipping the sails to them, and then give you a free bag made from the sails.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 06:30   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Just wander around any big boatyard. You'll fine a couple of young sailors with small budgets and tired boats. Just gave the old main to a young guy yesterday. Thought I'd keep it as a spare but it takes up storage space on the boat. The genoa was spoken for when I got my new sails a couple of years ago. They're not worth keeping and consignment stores are a waste of time.
Old 14-12-2015, 06:53   #5
cruiser

Sails for Sustenance, here is the website

Sails for Sustenance | Donating Used Sails to Fishermen in Haiti
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 07:48   #6
IRG

Boat: Molenmaker, Custom ketch, 97'

sailsforsustenance.org are a very creditable organization. I've personally transported many sails for them to Haiti using two of our boats at International Rescue Group (International Rescue Group - Coastal disaster relief).
IRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 07:51   #7

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Sea bags will cover the cost of shipping the sails to them, and then give you a free bag made from the sails.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Everybody else beat me to the Haiti connection, but I also very much like this idea.

We've kept an old sail for making all sorts of stuff, but not a bag, as it happens.

However, for more than 30 years, I've had a Chicago Yacht Club duffel made from high-tech laminated material - courtesy of my soon to be second wife, whose father, who the admiral and I joined for a leg of his circumnav (to see if she thought she'd like living aboard a boat), helped me cut my teeth on his Bristol 40; we remained friends after XWB (not wifey, only wife b) left.

So, if you don't have sewing skills, and the sails are at least serviceable, send 'em off. We'd love to take a boatload of stuff there some day, but each time we've started toward doing that, life intruded, and so we've never been there, yet.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 07:56   #8

Boat: Douglas 32

Dave,

1/ You could list them in the "for sale" forum. You posted your message in the "Power Boats" forum, so some sailors will not find this thread.

2/ Contact your nearest Moody Owners Group administrator:
Association Contacts – Moody Owners Association
and offer the sails to their members.

3/ There are several sail brokerages that will sell them for you.
Example usedsales.com ( no relation )
Their policy:
"Do you have sails taking up space in your garage or v-berth? Atlantic Sail Traders can take your old sails in on trade toward a new or used sail, furling system, or sell them outright on a 50/50% split consignment basis. You will need to provide us with a complete description of the sails (age, condition, cloth, hank on or furling, type of sail, type of boat) for our determination. Our sailmaker will then contact you with the results; and if agreed, assist you in shipping us your sails. They then will be inspected and measured. We will decide on a fair value/selling price with your authorization. We will split the selling price of your sail 50/50 when it is sold. You don’t have to do any advertising or work to sell your sails. We do it all for you. Your check for the 50% will be issued two weeks after the sail is sold to allow some time in case of returns."

Good luck clearing your garage.
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 09:24   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

We donate to Sails for Sustinance. It is an incredibly positive program, and it has made a real difference in a lot of people's lives in Haitie. The smaller sails are often used by fishermen, while larger ones are turned into everything from roofs to cloths by the locals.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 10:10   #10

Boat: Beneteau 361

Don't know if this method is better or not, but there is an existing foundation that helps the folks on Il la Vache, Haiti...including getting used sails to the fishermen there:
goodsamaritanofhaiti.com
This is the foundation started many years ago by good ol' Michael "Beans" Gardner of the "Happy ARRR" show in the BVI. My wife and I were fortunate to help him deliver some supplies and sails to them last spring.
mtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 11:12   #11
Marine Service Provider

Sail donations also go to Micronesia and other western, central and south Pacific areas. I've donated mine through my YC. Don't know the name or direct contact for the organization who actually handles this.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 13:09   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

The donations for using the sails are a perfect solution. If you don't go with one of those, I know of a group that is setting up to make seabags and give the proceeds to a maritime museum. Sorry don't recall the specifics but you've reminded me of it! I'll gather it and get back.
Old 17-12-2015, 17:50   #13

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime

Quite a while ago, 40yrs+ ha ha, I took my sails, they had all come apart in Gail force winds off Newport and I took them to Hood Sails in Newport at the time. And they said all they needed was new thread. So they redid all the sails with new thread. I could not believe it, being a young guy and not much money. It was very cheap. The sails were fine. Also broke off my tiller to a stub and i got directed to an old guy in a small shack in Newport and he redid my tiller all laminated with nice wood. What a deal, what nice people in Newport.

Captain Chuck
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 18:17   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I am going to make awnings out of mine. There is a lot of cloth there.
Old 18-12-2015, 21:15   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When we bought our most recent mainsail, the sailmaker took the old one and sold it for us for a delivery sail. It was not a lot of money, but it helped defray the costs of the new main.

Ann

Tags
sail, sails