Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-03-2015, 13:37   #16

Re: what to do after 3 years in bahamas?

Clearing in at Long Island last year gave us 1 year without any special request (for $300 for 44' boat); and renewal was also routine, at $500 for another year (that's all we've done so far).

Thought about leaving and coming back to save the $200 for new entry vs. renewal, but round trip fees entering/leaving T&C would have been nearly that much. I near FL that would seem easy, but we weren't...

Old 05-03-2015, 15:14   #17

You can also import the boat into the Bahamas and it will cost you the duty. Depending on how many years you plan to keep your boat in the Bahamas and what it's assessed value is this can be reasonable alternative. It saves you the cruising permit cost and you do not have to remove the boat every three years.

One thing that some here are confused about is the time for you and the time for your boat are different. Your cruising permit is for one year. Your length of stay varies and that seems to depend on where you check in. I've heard that some cruisers are told that the maximum is 90 days while I have gotten 180 days.

Old 05-03-2015, 16:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
You can also import the boat into the Bahamas and it will cost you the duty. Depending on how many years you plan to keep your boat in the Bahamas and what it's assessed value is this can be reasonable alternative. It saves you the cruising permit cost and you do not have to remove the boat every three years.

One thing that some here are confused about is the time for you and the time for your boat are different. Your cruising permit is for one year. Your length of stay varies and that seems to depend on where you check in. I've heard that some cruisers are told that the maximum is 90 days while I have gotten 180 days.
interesting. So what is the best place to reg the vessel in this location so the usa can not kill you with there big scary drones and guns. The most humane and safe way so that you can also live humane and do cool things like create and invent.
Old 05-03-2015, 17:08   #19

When i arrived in the Bahamas it was my first time here. I went to the customs and immigration offices at Cat Cay. Unless you enjoy being legally robbed stay away from this friggin place. The moment you touch the dock you are using a very exclusive yacht club dock. These slime balls charge $100.00 American plus VAt to tie up. Only you do not know this until it is to late. When I asked can I leave to save $100.00 and go to Bimini I was informed I could leave but since I had landed here first I would be sent back to this location. After you have cleared customs & immigration here the club harbour master or his flunky pushes hard for you to stay and enjoy their facilities for $2.00 a foot more plus of course VAT.
This yacht club harbour probably has 75 slips and only 2 were occupied. No wonder they pull this crap on unsuspecting boaters. Go to Bimini and avoid this hole. Oh, and yes I am bitter about my first hour in the Bahamas. :dead horsebeat:
Old 06-03-2015, 06:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseSavior View Post
interesting. So what is the best place to reg the vessel in this location so the usa can not kill you with there big scary drones and guns. The most humane and safe way so that you can also live humane and do cool things like create and invent.
There is no place where you are safe from killer drones.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you.

Tags
Bahamas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: