Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 17:27   #1

What cruiser fo the Florida Gulf?

Hi all:
My wife and I will be moving from Michigan to the Naples, Florida area .... Marco Island, where we are purchasing a home that features a 80 foot dock in a protected area with direct, no bridge access to the Gulf. I have experience cruising the Great Lakes, but have never cruised the Gulf or ocean. Any recommendations on what size and make of powerboat would work well for my wife and I for day trips and occasional longer trips going up and around the Florida coastline.
I need a sea worthy craft that can be handled by just myself and my wife. I am not a fisherman so I am looking for a fishing boat.., I am seeking a new craft that is well equipped with electronics, radar etc., and one that is comfortable and handles well. I have up to a one million budget for the perfect craft. Any recommendations on what new craft would work for us?
I look forward to guidance from fellow sailors and not just yacht salesmen.
Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
SaltLife36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 18:40   #2

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: What cruiser fo the Florida Gulf?

I would look at the Beneteau Swift Trawlers to start. You will see small 21' boats on the Gulf on calm days but not on small craft advisory days.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 18:41   #3

A few thoughts:

Sounds like you are only planning on sleeping the two of you when you go for more than day trips? Or maybe at most one more couple?

If so, I think the best all around boats are the "lobster" or "Downeast" style boats, for example, Sabre 45 Salon Express | Sabre Yachts.

They are comfortable, versatile, fast, and attractive. Great all around boat in any weather. Easily handled by a couple.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 18:52   #4

Yes, we are retiring to Florida and will have family anf friends coming down for visits... So, yes we at times will do overnight cruises with them.
I will most definitely be looking into your recommendations. Thank you very much.
Old 28-09-2016, 18:54   #5

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Also look at power catamarans. They will be easier to beach and would be great for the Florida Keys because they have a shallow draft.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 18:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would look at the Beneteau Swift Trawlers to start. You will see small 21' boats on the Gulf on calm days but not on small craft advisory days.

Thank you for the information. You are correct that storms can form quickly, so I do need boat that can weather the storm when it comes up, and I know it's not if, but when we eill be caught in one
I will check out your recommendation.
Old 28-09-2016, 19:34   #7

Thank you...
Yes, the Keys was a trip I had in mind also.
Old 29-09-2016, 08:37   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife36 View Post
I have experience cruising the Great Lakes, but have never cruised the Gulf or ocean. Any recommendations on what size and make of powerboat would work well for my wife and I for day trips and occasional longer trips going up and around the Florida coastline.
I need a sea worthy craft that can be handled by just myself and my wife. I am not a fisherman so I am looking for a fishing boat.., I am seeking a new craft that is well equipped with electronics, radar etc., and one that is comfortable and handles well. I have up to a one million budget for the perfect craft. Any recommendations on what new craft would work for us?

Respectfully, this is close to "how long is a piece of string?"

Much depends on your more specific requirements -- like how much space do you need, how do you need it laid out, how many levels are you comfortable with -- and then also on your sense of style ("Italian" versus "Down East"?) and so forth.

Might be useful if you do three things, semi-simultaneously:
1) Flesh out for yourselves more about how you will really use the boat (occasional runs to the Bahamas? how many days aboard for most trips? how many common and how many occasional pax? etc.),
2) begin capturing your list of needs, wants, nice to haves (along with the reasoning behind each), and
3) rummage through yachtworld.com to see what kind of boats catch your collective eye (meaning wife's opinion may count for more than yours).

Maybe also hum a few bars about what boat(s) you've used (have now?) on the Great Lakes... and why you think it might not be fine for FL coast?

Then come back with your thoughts so everyone here isn't just throwing darts at open air.

-Chris
Old 29-09-2016, 08:58   #9

Call Rob McCarthy at SkipperBuds in Harrison Township . The Tiara 44 and 50 are great looking boats. Should fufill your wish list no problem! Rob knows these boats very well. Wish the 50 was in our budget!! They are Michigan made boats and very nicely made.
deedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Respectfully, this is close to "how long is a piece of string?"

Much depends on your more specific requirements -- like how much space do you need, how do you need it laid out, how many levels are you comfortable with -- and then also on your sense of style ("Italian" versus "Down East"?) and so forth.

Might be useful if you do three things, semi-simultaneously:
1) Flesh out for yourselves more about how you will really use the boat (occasional runs to the Bahamas? how many days aboard for most trips? how many common and how many occasional pax? etc.),
2) begin capturing your list of needs, wants, nice to haves (along with the reasoning behind each), and
3) rummage through yachtworld.com to see what kind of boats catch your collective eye (meaning wife's opinion may count for more than yours).

Maybe also hum a few bars about what boat(s) you've used (have now?) on the Great Lakes... and why you think it might not be fine for FL coast?

Then come back with your thoughts so everyone here isn't just throwing darts at open air.

-Chris
Thanks Chris for your reply.
Actually other than your sarcasm, I have received some very good advice from others.
Using this advice, I did some more research and
am pursuing checking out a new ArrowCat 42 Flybridge Catamaran.... As being in south Florida, we will be taking trips to surrounding islands and to the shallow waters around the keys. This Cat from the video's and reviews I have seen online seems to fit our needs and is definitely worth pursuing.
Old 29-09-2016, 10:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedc View Post
Call Rob McCarthy at SkipperBuds in Harrison Township . The Tiara 44 and 50 are great looking boats. Should fufill your wish list no problem! Rob knows these boats very well. Wish the 50 was in our budget!! They are Michigan made boats and very nicely made.
Thanks Rob...but we have all ready made the move to South Florida and are staying in a motorcoach until we close on our home.
We are going to miss the Michigan fall colors but definitely will not miss what comes next.
Old 29-09-2016, 10:48   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife36 View Post
Hi all:
My wife and I will be moving from Michigan to the Naples, Florida area .... Marco Island, where we are purchasing a home that features a 80 foot dock in a protected area with direct, no bridge access to the Gulf. I have experience cruising the Great Lakes, but have never cruised the Gulf or ocean. Any recommendations on what size and make of powerboat would work well for my wife and I for day trips and occasional longer trips going up and around the Florida coastline.
I look forward to guidance from fellow sailors and not just yacht salesmen.
Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
You may wish to look into EndeavourCat. Made in that area, Tampa. I was impressed with the one a friend I made had. It was a TrawlerCat 36, which I don't think they make any longer.They make sail also. Just a thought. Some of what I see them advertise I wouldn't sail in a mud puddle.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:03   #13

Boat: Scout 30

Be sure to check out the St Petersburg Boat Show & the Miami Boat Show. I'm also partial to Down Easters but there's a lot to be said for cats. Try to keep the draft down to save yourself a headache & stick with diesels.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:07   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lagoon Powercat.

Here is a link to the 44' model.
Show the master stateroom to your wife.
Look at the deck space and flybridge and cockpit for entertaining and lounging.

Before 2006 the similar model was a 43 foot boat. Still nice.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:13   #15

Thank you for the reply...
I will check it out

Tags
cruise, cruiser, florida