Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 14:36   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Waverunners

How are they on the ocean? I am thinking this may be the quickest way for me to get on the water.

I am one the northeast coast of Florida. I could use the Matanzas Inlet if I had a waverunner. I am thinking one of the larger ones.

I could scoot out and see dolphins or on rare occasion see manatee. Maybe even fish off one.

It could be cleaned easily and also fit in the garage. Anyone ever ride one on the ocean? If so, please give me the good, bad and ugly....thanks
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 16:03   #2

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35
Re: Waverunners

We were in Bimini a few weeks in some pretty bad weather. Amazingly, several groups of wave runners came over from Miami!!! Also a collection of "lake boats".
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 16:31   #3

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I'm casually shopping for one. If the right deal pops up, I'll buy. I've looked at some new ones

Some of them now have closed cooling systems, I think that would be a must have feature for salt water use, and I don't think all of them do.
Old 23-07-2017, 17:10   #4
JKP

Boat: In 15 years hopefully a Lagoon 44

They are fine depending on the frequency and height of waves along with the respective direction of travel. If the waves are confused and high frequency then it will not be a pleasant ride. However, four foot waves at ten second intervals is quite a relaxing ride.
JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 17:51   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Waverunners

A pontoon boat is a whole lot more useable, carry lots of beer, friends and grill out etc. have a Bimini or even a hard top to stay out of the shade, can fish all day and not be blistered.
If you have kids mount a slide on it, kids love that.

Those bigger jet ski things burn a lot of fuel as I think most are over 100HP?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 17:59   #6

Waverunners

I've been on a ski in 6-8 seas on the SW FL gulf. Quite manageable with constant attention but honestly we had no real plan if there was a mechanical. Onshore setting waves ok but not much of a plan. They can apparently flip and fill. Suggest you take a friend on a second ski in rough conditions if you have to go ski. Or go with a64's good advice.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 04:26   #7

Yikes, they make these things with 300HP. Seems some of these things can go 85mph. I really have no interest in those but it is eye opening.

I have been on my friends wave runner a long time ago on a lake. I remember it was ok at best. Waves hitting from the side made the ride uncomfortable. I am hoping in 25 years they have improved the hull designs to ride much better.

Now reading about the closed cooling systems.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.
Old 24-07-2017, 06:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
They are fine depending on the frequency and height of waves along with the respective direction of travel. If the waves are confused and high frequency then it will not be a pleasant ride. However, four foot waves at ten second intervals is quite a relaxing ride.

JKP is right on that direction of travel bit. It's almost reminiscent of "can't sail directly upwind" when you can't ski directly "upwave" but you can "tack" your ski there more easily in some sea states.

There are extreme "tow in" surf blogs and ski-surf rescue blogs that explain the handling techniques.

http://www.firefighternation.com/art...er-rescue.html
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 09:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am hoping in 25 years they have improved the hull designs to ride much better.
The hulls nowadays are not significantly different from the hulls of 25 years ago, except that they are designed to go yet even faster. They are not designed for handling rough seas any better, for the simple reason that these things are not designed for handling rough seas at all. They are designed to go fast, turn on a dime, and be thrilling to ride.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 13:45   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

These things are not jet skis, they are boats.
Way back when I had a jet ski, built it with performance jet ski parts and it was quite fast, but the real jet skis are just that. You stand up on them with your knees being the shock absorbers, they require skill and balance to ride. Your average overweight out of shape half drunk renter couldn't handle them at all. They were 6' long and 2' wide.
So they are now boats, climb aboard and sit, it's not going to tip over. Of course it's not very maneuverable and you can't do much with it, except ride.
Things probably weigh a half a ton now.

For a whole lot less money you can get a real boat, that is way more useful.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 07:23   #11

Agree, a jet ski actually takes skill to ride.

How dry can you stay on a wave runner? Obviously I love the water but now wondering in is can be riden in the ocean during January when the ocean water is cold(ish). Can the rider stay comfortably dry?
Old 25-07-2017, 08:14   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

There is a current cable TV show (I think it's called Dangerous Waters but I'm not sure) about a group of people on the ocean in PWCs (personal watercraft, which is the correct generic name). I think the idea of the show is something about going around the world on them but the last one I saw, they were in Alaska.

You can take a PWC into the ocean on a calm day. I wouldn't recommend it in a storm and I would suggest heading for shore if a storm comes up. You would be safer if you go in a group or at least with one other PWC along. Have a VHF radio (in addition to any cell phone) and other safety equipment.
Old 25-07-2017, 08:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Agree, a jet ski actually takes skill to ride.

How dry can you stay on a wave runner? Obviously I love the water but now wondering in is can be riden in the ocean during January when the ocean water is cold(ish). Can the rider stay comfortably dry?
The realistic answer is no - you will not reliably stay dry under varying conditions while retaining reasonable authority over the watercraft's speed and direction. Probably the best advice is to find somewhere relatively local and rent a PWC for a couple of hours.

Even on a severe calm day, you'll still be subject to interaction with other boater's wake. Any condition with short periods -- even the most benign chop -- will quickly approach a fairly full immersion experience at planing speed.

You absolutely can remain comfortably dry in varying conditions-- you just won't do it on a typical Point A to Point B in a reasonable amount of time-type mission.
Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 09:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
These things are not jet skis, they are boats.
Well, technically, they are personal watercraft. "WaveRunner" is a trademarked name used by Yamaha for their PWCs.

Yamaha does not make a stand-up PWC anymore, but back when they did, they still called it a "WaveRunner." In fact, I'm not sure if anyone sells a stand-up PWC in the United States anymore. I suspect the OP was using the term "waverunner" simply as a generic name for a PWC, and didn't specifically intend to refer to a Yamaha WaveRunner.

I guess the bottom line for the OP is that these things are available for rent pretty much anywhere there is enough water to operate them in. If you're interested, go rent one for a few hours and find out for yourself what the newer ones are like.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 10:04   #15

Boat: Various

Another way of getting on the water cheaply but with power is to look at RIB's. Amazing what a 14' RIB can handle.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote