Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2017, 13:57   #46

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Waverunners

Three Sisters - what is the best weight for a PWC? Is over 800 lbs. an issue? Is a lighter PWC going to be used more because it is more fun?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 15:03   #47

Couldn't say the best weight for a jet ski. When you have beached her to collect shells and return to find her high and dry you might want Sea Tow. Of course you are not taking a blind approach in your selection. I'll be looking forward to the possibility of a few videos.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 15:44   #48

This is true...I do worry about getting it highand land dry or worse yet, having it float away from me. I have owned small boats but on in-land lakes where I could jump from the boat to cool off, tread water for a bit then swim back to the boat.

I was at Matanzas Inlet today at extra low tide. Wow, the sand bars from the river to out in the ocean. I will have to develop a method to keep the ski with me while I look for shells. It will allow me to get to areas that typical shell hunters can't get to.

The best time to shell hunt is during near low tide. That will be my initial plan. Beach the ski at near low tide and be done shell hunting by the time the tide turns. Wait until the tide rises if my ski gets stuck. A typical outing is 2 - 3 hours now. With the ski this whole experience will be enhanced and much more enjoyable. It will probably turn 2 - 3 hours into 4 - 6 hours out on the water.
Old 17-08-2017, 11:23   #49

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
This is true...I do worry about getting it highand land dry or worse yet, having it float away from me. I have owned small boats but on in-land lakes where I could jump from the boat to cool off, tread water for a bit then swim back to the boat.

I was at Matanzas Inlet today at extra low tide. Wow, the sand bars from the river to out in the ocean. I will have to develop a method to keep the ski with me while I look for shells. It will allow me to get to areas that typical shell hunters can't get to.

The best time to shell hunt is during near low tide. That will be my initial plan. Beach the ski at near low tide and be done shell hunting by the time the tide turns. Wait until the tide rises if my ski gets stuck. A typical outing is 2 - 3 hours now. With the ski this whole experience will be enhanced and much more enjoyable. It will probably turn 2 - 3 hours into 4 - 6 hours out on the water.
You'll also need to be very careful about running it in shallow sandy areas. Sand will ultimately lead to problems with the jet propulsion system.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 12:18   #50

Agree 100%. My current plan would be to be up current. Shut off the engine and drift over the sand bar. Once over the sandbar anchor the ski. Look for shells, come back to the ski and either drift it or push a little until it is back in deeper water before starting the engine.

During near low tide there are multiple sand bars. I will only be able to explore / search 2 or maybe 3 before the currents get too strong as the tide shifts.

I tried to attach a YouTube video without luck. But if you search YouTube for Matanzas Inlet sand bars you can kinda see what I am talking about. One video shows 3 boats and one pontoon boat on the Atlantic side one one of these sand bars. The shells I like to collect are the larger spotted cockle shells like these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170517_113932.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	154281
Old 19-08-2017, 07:37   #51

Ok...a slight change in my mindset. I will be using the ski on the ICW. As many as 15, maybe 20 miles one way.

I have owned many boats. Each one was faster than the previous one. On a lake I never liked being passed and eating another wake.

How important is it to have a fast PWC?

I can see me cruising at 30mph on the ICW and a Center Console boat doing 35 mph that is going to pass me. I would normally speed up to 40mph to 1. Not be in their way at all. 2. Keep the ski in smooth water.

Not sure what I would do if a 'go fast' boat was passing me but I probably would try to keep them from passing me.
Or stop, let the water settle down then continue...ugh.

How fast is fast enough traveling 15 miles on the ICW?
Old 19-08-2017, 11:40   #52

Quote:
Ok...a slight change in my mindset. I will be using the ski on the ICW. As many as 15, maybe 20 miles one way.

I have owned many boats. Each one was faster than the previous one. On a lake I never liked being passed and eating another wake.

How important is it to have a fast PWC?

I can see me cruising at 30mph on the ICW and a Center Console boat doing 35 mph that is going to pass me. I would normally speed up to 40mph to 1. Not be in their way at all. 2. Keep the ski in smooth water.

Not sure what I would do if a 'go fast' boat was passing me but I probably would try to keep them from passing me.
Or stop, let the water settle down then continue...ugh.

How fast is fast enough traveling 15 miles on the ICW?
It depends where you are on the ICW. Are there speed zones, no wake zones? Is there much traffic? On a PWC you're as responsible for your wakes as any boat. Is there a no PWC area?
Old 19-08-2017, 12:41   #53

Boat: Valiant 42

Be aware that PWCs drink a considerable amount of fuel at cruising speed. You have to be mindful of the next refueling point.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 18:08   #54

Seems most people tweak their ski. I talked to 3 people today at a boat ramp on the ICW about their PWC. All 3 talked about something or other they did to make the ski faster. And more odd, saw 8 different skis. All were Sea Doo's!!! No Yamaha and no Kawasaki. One person said he has owned all 3. Said his current Sea Doo was by far the least amount of trouble. I will go to a different ramp tomorrow and maybe log what I see. I know I have seen Yamaha because of the spray up in the air.

Wow, the water in the ICW is sure murky.

Anyway...I plan to leave my ski alone, no tweaking to increase speed. I guess I will be the slow poke.
Old 20-08-2017, 15:15   #55

Today saw a mix of PWC's. Also learned that the Kawasaki is called 'Jet Ski'. Even if it is a sit down PWC.

4 Sea Doo's, 3 Yamaha, and 3 Kawasaki.
Old 20-08-2017, 15:28   #56

Quote:
Today saw a mix of PWC's. Also learned that the Kawasaki is called 'Jet Ski'. Even if it is a sit down PWC.

4 Sea Doo's, 3 Yamaha, and 3 Kawasaki.
There was a lot of battling over names. Bombardier was first with Sea-Doo. Kawasaki was next and registered the term Jet Ski. In the early days the term PWC wasn't used much and others called theirs Jet Ski's but the manufacturers and dealers had to be careful not to do so. Yamaha was quick to protect the term Waverunners then. That left Honda with Aquatrax and then Polaris with Seation and Arctic Cat with Tigershark. There were likely others I missed. The term PWC came into use when a term was needed to group all of them and to establish regulations for their use.
Old 20-08-2017, 16:06   #57

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Unless you want to race any engine modification is pointless, it will make the difference of parts of a boat length from stop start to flat out and not much change in response.

Top speed - most skis do between 60 and 70mph, cruising at 30-35mph or more is fine.

Two other changes can be good depending what you want to gain.

The grate (where the boat draws the water in) some of the aftermarket ones are better by drawing in less air in the rough.

Sponsons (the fins on the side at the rear of the ski that drag in the water when turning) adjustable ones are good to customize the cornering characteristics by having the back bite more or slide more. You can achieve this to a lesser extent by moving your weight forwards or backwards on the ski. I prefer the smooth seats for this not the ones that hug your bum and keep you in one spot.

Getting out through the surf.... Its no problem for the ski, unbroken waves are straight forward you can cross them at almost any angle unless they are just about to break then fairly straight is best. Broken waves take straight on, have more speed than you think you should and accelerate through. The turbulent frothy water wont give you much drive and the boat isn't as buoyant so it is smoother than you think going through but don't go slow.
Old 20-08-2017, 17:11   #58

Tow-in-surfing-
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 17:33   #59

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Ha
He thought he had it, the lip just fell away too quick.
Old 28-08-2017, 05:27   #60

Interesting, if I were to buy a small(ish) boat I would not expect anything to go wrong with it. The 4 cycle outboards are bullet proof.

Now if I buy a PWC I am thinking it will be a matter of time before something breaks.

Is that thinking correct. Are boat engines / electronics more reliable than PWC engines / electronics? If so, do you know why?