Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2013, 22:19   #16

Re: Volvo IPS claims

These were engine characteristics, in many ways universal and applicable to any boat.

1. The same suitable boat/hull and higher HP/torque engine will be more fuel efficient than lower HP/torque engine (rule of thumb).

2. Engines have different fuel efficiency across RPM range.

3. Just to show the complexity of the issue ... my example is as fuel efficient in displacement mode at 1.1-1.2k RPM as it is in planing mode at 3.2-3.5k RPM, and much less efficient when planing at 2.0-2.5k RPM ... happens to be a 40% difference in fuel efficiency while in same planing mode as expressed by MPG.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 08:59   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
What is the value of sailing around sideways?
I might pay more for a non Volvo natural aspirated diesel. Beta, john Deere or cummins .
Pretty cool for that brief docking moment. Otherwise I don't buy its value.
Someone has this and can tell us if they get better economy
Nothing wrong with turbos , mine had 3000 hours before they needed new cores €. 100 each

Been able to crab sideways is very useful

Dave
Old 15-12-2013, 09:00   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

Not quite "exactly the same". a few years ago I delivered a Regal 5560 with IPS from Toronto to Duluth MN. It was kinda fun to drive the boat around the harbour side ways. I don't think your sail drive can do that
Have you seen beneteau swivelling sail drive ! I do a nice job with a twin and a bow thruster

Dave
Old 21-12-2013, 01:21   #19

I think the low speed performance deficit for the pod type drives is related to the relatively small propellers they use. Smaller higher pitch propellers will ultimately drive the hull faster but there is quite a lot of slippage before they get there. Larger flatter propellers don't go as fast but screw through the water more efficiently at lower speeds.

In my view IPS, Zeus & other relatively exotic systems are for folks who want to travel fast most of the time, enjoy the joystick control system but trade before manufacturer's warranties expire. I think owners of these products in the secondary market will be exasperated by them. There will be no shopping around for the best deal on parts and maintenance for at least 17 years...
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 13:38   #20

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Bglad; I have come to the same conclusions. I have been particularly impressed with the poor and sometimes very poor fuel burn values of IPS boats in the 8-15K speed range as reported in multiple magazine sea trails. Considering the present cost of fuel and likely increases in the near future many owners of boats in the 36-55ft range appear to be slowing down for better economy and that is the very range in which IPS falls short. Meanwhile Volvo continues to advertise a 40% full savings over other drive systems not pointing out that if so it is probably in a very limited high speed range. I suppose if you don't use your boat much and high speed and joystick docking are what you want and need it might make sense. I don't expect too many people who bite for the IPS are likely to fess up as to performance limitations or maintenance issues such behavior would be against their self interests.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 19:48   #21

Boat: Corbin 39

Unfortunately they are here to stay. It use to be any idiot with money could by a boat and get out on the water. Buyers now have confidence to purchase larger boats because they think they will be able to handle them with the magic stick. So now any idiot with money can get out on the water with a bigger boat.

The resale value is much higher in boats equipped with IPS over conventional shafts. Most don't care that much about the fuel burn, but get one heck of a shock when they find out what the routine maintenance cost. Some go sideways nicely and some do not. It depends on how well the hull and unit were integrated by the manufacturer.

The only good thing I have to say about them is they are awfully smooth and vibration free, making for a much quieter ride.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 02:37   #22

Boat: Alberg 30
Tried to pm you wasn't able. Can you pm me your email or email me? Had a few points to consider about them.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 02:43   #23

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

Not quite "exactly the same". a few years ago I delivered a Regal 5560 with IPS from Toronto to Duluth MN. It was kinda fun to drive the boat around the harbour side ways. I don't think your sail drive can do that
It can be done with shaft drives. Once tuned properly I like it much better than pods, smoother direction change and far better control, with way less lag. Second owners of pod drive boats are going to have sad lessons. Just a drive plate is upwards of 15k for many. That's a lot of shafts. Not even counting their hunger for debris.

Should love pods. Really don't unless they're under warranty.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo