Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2015, 07:28   #1

Boat: 1998 27' Rinker
Volvo Diesel's

What's everybody's opinion on them?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Robbie430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 07:28   #2

Boat: 1998 27' Rinker
Re: Volvo Diesel's

14 years old with 700 hours.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Robbie430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 07:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think that is way to broad a question as Volvo is not the manufacturer of all their Diesels I don't believe.
I wouldn't have one myself, but then I don't like Fords either
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 08:00   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

That question is non-sensical without specifying at least a model range.

It is like asking "Volkswagons, what is everyone's opinion about them?" and expecting answers ranging from 1960's beetles, Vanagones, commercial trucks, rabbits, etc to be meaningful in any specific sense.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 08:11   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Generally good, with some lemons. Parts prices are atrocious, at least in the United States. Some of their electrical systems are notoriously sketchy, as is dealer support (in my experience). Over-engineering seems a problem with some of their subsystems sometimes...

Maybe not a good choice for the budget minded, though there are workarounds to anything. I have auxiliary and a main propulsion diesel and after ironing out the problems with them, like them both. One is based on a Perkins/ISM, the other is a Volvo original.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 08:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It's parts prices / availability as much as anything that I dislike, although to be fair, I just paid $73 for a Yanmar thermostat, a part that would cost $5 for an automobile, but it was in stock
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 08:45   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Regarding parts pricing, I posted a long list of commonly needed replacement Volvo/Yanmar prices for the same components from similar engines.

There were no difference in prices. Yes, specific individual items could vary sometimes significantly (for example you DO NOT want your Yanmar injection pump to go bad, while a Volvo will just hurt a bit), but overall, there is no difference.

It is a perception only. It may have been true in the past, but it hasn't been true in many years.

I know, I know - now I will get everyone with Yanmars pointing out that their oil filter costs less, or something like that. These can all be countered with an equal number of Volvo parts that are cheaper.

Really, just go to Marine Parts Express or similar and price a bunch of stuff. It isn't hard to get real data on this. No need to stay comfortable in a belief.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 09:04   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

Ours was installed in the boat in 1985 and still starts and runs when asked. Raw water cooled, a few exhaust elbow replacements, but other than that just oil changes and injector servicing. Unknown hours (the instrument panel is a separate question). Has been abused by use as a battery charging system for a decade or two before solar/wind got installed.

Others I know don't get nearly the mileage out of theirs, so YMMV.

Of course, you can no longer buy the engine we have, so that experience only counts for so much, there have been more than a few changes to Volvo's engine line in the last 30 years.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 09:06   #9

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Mark speaks the truth. I am rebuilding an engine and yes, the parts are pricey. However, they aren't any worse than Yanmar or anybody else. Stuff costs money.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 16:46   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk View Post
Mark speaks the truth. I am rebuilding an engine and yes, the parts are pricey. However, they aren't any worse than Yanmar or anybody else. Stuff costs money.
The annoying thing about Volvo pricing (and likely same for others) is they build nothing...just spray it green and mark it up 300%. You can find many of the EXACT same parts for a fraction of the green ones.

Case in point: Volvo MD2020 uses a Mitsubishi starter. Volvo price $850 (for a stadard starter!). Local auto parts store, same make/model, minus green paint job: $85.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 17:18   #11

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Just an FYI, the MD20 line of motors are based on shibaura engine block.

I have had some success finding cross reference parts. However Volvo and Perkins have done a very good job controlling shibaura parts in North America.

So far, I have been very happy with my MD2030s.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 17:24   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=belizesailor;1989508]. You can find many of the EXACT same parts for a fraction of the green ones.

That holds true for many engine parts. An engine machine shop doesn't buy valves from Perkins, they buy them from a generic engine parts supply. Same for bearings, liners, gaskets sets, etc. etc. Often you just need to know what size something is.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 17:30   #13

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I have an old 2003T (circa 1987). Many hate them. They have some quirks. It has 9700 Hours, and had one rebuild. It's smoky at startup, but fine once warm. It's been economical and reliable. It has regular oil changes, and any other maintenance that is required...

You will find detractors and haters of all the brands out there.
Old 16-12-2015, 18:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Just an FYI, the MD20 line of motors are based on shibaura engine block.

I have had some success finding cross reference parts. However Volvo and Perkins have done a very good job controlling shibaura parts in North America.

So far, I have been very happy with my MD2030s.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
My MD2020's have been good too. Just a few minor annoying things I dont like about the design, but no major/unusual problems in 14 years. Volvo's pricing annoys me, but they are hardly alone in the "marine" market. Their tight control of parts info/specs are part of that annoyance. It really delights me when I work around it.
Old 16-12-2015, 18:15   #15

[QUOTE=Guy;1989544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
. You can find many of the EXACT same parts for a fraction of the green ones.

That holds true for many engine parts. An engine machine shop doesn't buy valves from Perkins, they buy them from a generic engine parts supply. Same for bearings, liners, gaskets sets, etc. etc. Often you just need to know what size something is.
Yes, a good set of calipers will pay for themselves many times over.

Especially in remote places where waiting for "official" parts could take weeks or months and cost dearly (adding insult to injury by paying duty on those over priced parts)...when standard stuff like bearings and seals abound locally.

Tags
diesel, volvo