Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 11:56   #16

Re: Veggies and Meat to/from Bahamas

My recollection is that there was no meat worth buying in the Bahamas (except for lobster) . We actually took all our meat from Florida and returned months later with some left over. Never saw any meat that looked at all tasty while cruising the Bahamas.
My guess is that with very few exceptions any produce/meat for sale in Bahamas originated in the US but meat was generally well frozen and aged.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 12:28   #17

Boat: pearson 32

just got back from bahamas,like capt force says you gotta be the cop cause frankly on a 32 foot boat there s not much room to smuggle anything,keep your moth shut and dont bring many smokes or a lot of alcohol,all thats cheaper in the bahamas anyway
norsearayder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 14:55   #18

Come back from the Abacos every year and never do anything but call the Customs office and generally just leave a message on the answering phone. Never here back just leave names/passport inf on recording. Always bring food we didn't eat back with us although don't bring Bahama vegetables back.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 15:17   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

One year, returning from the Bahamas, I opened up one of my sails and a Curly Tailed Lizard popped out and took off for shore in the Indian River. When I grew up in South Florida we never saw Curly Tails and now there are all over the place. Do as we can, we'll still be moving invasive species about. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 22-04-2012, 11:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Skip R View Post
Come back from the Abacos every year and never do anything but call the Customs office and generally just leave a message on the answering phone. Never here back just leave names/passport inf on recording. Always bring food we didn't eat back with us although don't bring Bahama vegetables back.
Yeah.... did that once about 10 years ago..... a couple of years later I got a nasty letter telling me I was a bad boy and didnt check in.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 12:25   #21

Last week in Beaufort, NC, USDA came on board with Customs, went through the frozen meat, anything that did hot have a US butcher's label on it was taken, as were the eggs, even though the carton said Florida, "don't know where the eggs came from," and went through all the canned goods to be sure any with meat in them were processed in an approved cannery. Corned beef from Argentina was OK.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:41   #22

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We've never had any trouble bringing any stores into the Bahamas. We left the US with a chest freezer, Waco refer/fridge, and a Norcold filled to capacity. Everything is expensive here. The other day we spent $7.40 for a 15 oz bag of chips and $4.60 for a pint of sour cream.
Old 25-04-2012, 15:00   #23

Thanks everyone for the great info! We cruised a lot in Australia/NZ and they were pretty strict about meat and produce. Sounds like not such a problem here if you know what to say. Will let y'all know in a couple months if we had any problem.

Reason I ask is that we bought a half cow at a charity auction, but when we contacted the farm to collect, they told us it was a WHOLE cow. So our freezers are pretty full right now! Plus the freezers of some friends and family! Would hate to lose Bessie!
trawlercruisers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas