Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 17:49   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Using Only One Engine ?

On multihull sailboats, when motoring, one engine only is often used to save fuel. Is the same done on powerboats (ie Grand Banks trawlers) with twin engines?
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 17:58   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
On multihull sailboats, when motoring, one engine only is often used to save fuel. Is the same done on powerboats (ie Grand Banks trawlers) with twin engines?
Delivered a Monk 42 with twin Cummings 6's across the Trent-Severn system a few years back.
Can't remember the speeds now, but do remember that at 1800rpm we were only a 1/2 knot faster on two engines than on one.
Old 21-08-2010, 14:45   #3

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
I'm surprised to hear that's so common on Multihull Sailboats - considering they are likely saving what, maybe 1/2 a gallon per hour on a larger boat? Even less on a smaller one? Do people really do that? The only time I use one engine on a powerboat is in fairways in marinas or in idle speed/no wake zones when the boat I'm running creates a wake at idle. This is never the case in trawlers. At idle they are slow. at cruise, they aren't much faster but I love 'em. And the beauty is, if you shut one down, you're still only saving maybe 2gph... The speed lost will diminish the savings even more. The time you really see fuel burn is at the higher RPMs, when you'd lose even more efficiency by fighting one screw with the rudders...or, if it's a planing boat, you couldn't do it even if you wanted to. I don't see the benefit.
Old 22-08-2010, 09:43   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by robw_fl View Post
I'm surprised to hear that's so common on Multihull Sailboats - considering they are likely saving what, maybe 1/2 a gallon per hour on a larger boat? Even less on a smaller one? Do people really do that? ....
Yes they do, especially with folding props. In addition to the fuel savings engine run time is reduced 50%.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 11:45   #5

Hm. Interesting.
Old 22-08-2010, 12:36   #6

1700 rpm-2 eng 7.2 kts . 1 eng 1700rpm 5.3 kts. Fuel burn 120 lehmans 2 gal /hr per eng.
Old 22-08-2010, 12:57   #7

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Perhaps these one engine cats are actually boosting Sailing speed in light airs, not serious propulsion, just running closer to natural hull speed by using one engine at low power setting. Plus the bonus off battery charging for those that haven't got around to solar cells yet.
Old 22-08-2010, 13:09   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I run only 1 engine 90% of the time when I’m motoring - I save about 1 gph in fuel ,along with wear and tear, and maintenance, this adds up a lot when your paying $10 a gal for diesel and $10 a quart for oil and the longevity of the engines themselves- With 1 engine I cruise at 7.5 knots (or less) and with 2 engines 11 knots or less-
That 10% of the time I use both engines is usually going into a strong head wind
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 07:14   #9

Wow.. yeah, if I was paying $10/gal for diesel or the same for a quart of oil, I guess I'd be running with one engine too. I suppose it's safe to assume the hourly fuel burn does not get cut directly in half by cutting one engine, as you're creating a certain amount of inefficiency by running an offset engine - then you have the speed loss, in which case it obviously takes you longer/more fuel to get somewhere - however this does not get cut directly in half either - so there is some savings/benefit. I'm curious what the net benefit is. Ram - what do you normally burn per hour with both running? I'm assuming it's more than 2gph?
Old 25-08-2010, 07:31   #10
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by robw_fl View Post
Wow.. yeah, if I was paying $10/gal for diesel or the same for a quart of oil, I guess I'd be running with one engine too. I suppose it's safe to assume the hourly fuel burn does not get cut directly in half by cutting one engine, as you're creating a certain amount of inefficiency by running an offset engine - then you have the speed loss, in which case it obviously takes you longer/more fuel to get somewhere - however this does not get cut directly in half either - so there is some savings/benefit. I'm curious what the net benefit is. Ram - what do you normally burn per hour with both running? I'm assuming it's more than 2gph?
That’s hard to say in real life as the amount of fuel burned is different with changing wind/sea conditions- I would say about 40-50% less fuel is used- in that area- Can do 7.5 knots at 90% power on 1 engine and with 2 engines about 10-11 knots- 1gph each engine at those speeds- I normally run 1 engine at around 5/8 speed and get about ½ gal per hour-speed about 5.5 knots- this is on flat water-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 16:31   #11

Before you shut down one engine and run on the other, make sure the transmission can handle the freewheeling without being damaged. Some are designed to do that but others are not.
skipperjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 17:12   #12

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosstyla View Post
Yes they do, especially with folding props.
Unfortunately cost of efficient folding prop Vs fixed, on a powered vessel, could negate any savings made
Old 09-11-2010, 17:16   #13

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperjon View Post
Before you shut down one engine and run on the other, make sure the transmission can handle the freewheeling without being damaged. Some are designed to do that but others are not.
ZF reckon mine are OK to do that (ZF25) but I wonder about the shaft bearings without forced water lubrication?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:34   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Unfortunately cost of efficient folding prop Vs fixed, on a powered vessel, could negate any savings made
Go back and read post #4 - my response was to a question about sailing cats.

However, I actually am considering installing Autoprops on a power cat. Overall efficiency/performance improvement may prove to be worthwhile.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 17:10   #15

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Simple answer to the original question, NO!

A multihull sailboat maybe able to cope with only one engine running but on a monohull motorboat the rudders are MUCH smaller and so the helm would need to be almost hard over to maintain a straight line.

I personaly own a 57ft flybridge motoryacht fitted with twin Detroit Diesels and have tried running her on one engine just to see how she would handle should one fail at sea. Let me tell you that keeping on your desired course like that is almost impossible and you can pretty much only make a course correction in one dirrection, ie, to the opposite direction of the running engine.

These types of boats are not designed to be opperated in this way and usually have very small rudders that are only really effective at a reasonable speed. For example on mine, anything below 4-6 knots, the helm is pretty much useless and you can only steer by useing directional thrust from each engine in turn.
simonmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine