Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2016, 09:29   #16

Boat: 42 Krogen #61
Re: Trawler VS Catamaran

I'll give you a monohull sailboat for sure, but a proper trawler able to withstand a 85 degree knockdown and self right vs. a sailing cat, don't think so. Not to mention you need to be very experienced and physically able to deal with the on deck conditions on the cat. On the trawler u can pretty much curl up into a ball in the wheelhouse. Maybe one with a very high tunnel clearance to prevent the god awful slamming....

In many other situations yes, heavy weather give me a monohull anything anyday.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:37   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
I'll give you a monohull sailboat for sure, but a proper trawler able to withstand a 85 degree knockdown and self right vs. a sailing cat, don't think so. Not to mention you need to be very experienced and physically able to deal with the on deck conditions on the cat. On the trawler u can pretty much curl up into a ball in the wheelhouse. Maybe one with a very high tunnel clearance to prevent the god awful slamming....

In many other situations yes, heavy weather give me a monohull anything anyday.
A trawler can survive an 85 degree knockdown? That's new information for me, and I'll be grateful to you if this expands my horizon. I would not have thought that to be possible.

What is the AVS of a typical heavy trawler?

Old 25-09-2016, 10:00   #18

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

Kadey Krogen, Nordhavn, Elling, Willard, just to name a few trawlers. I'm in Panama currently with crappy internet, so researching all the above would be tedious. Mine BTW is the 85degree I mentioned. m/v Diorona a Nordhavn recorded his roll to 69degrees, I believe coming in an inlet in Australia during their circumnavigation. Jim Leisman of PAE (Nordhavn) had some interesting things to say about the N40 in a complete rollover, and I believe Elling actually has video of them rolling a boat over.

Storm plates on windows, slack tanks, deck gear, etc. obviously matters

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 10:09   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
Kadey Krogen, Nordhavn, Elling, Willard, just to name a few trawlers. I'm in Panama currently with crappy internet, so researching all the above would be tedious. Mine BTW is the 85degree I mentioned. m/v Diorona a Nordhavn recorded his roll to 69degrees, I believe coming in an inlet in Australia during their circumnavigation. Jim Leisman of PAE (Nordhavn) had some interesting things to say about the N40 in a complete rollover, and I believe Elling actually has video of them rolling a boat over.

Storm plates on windows, slack tanks, deck gear, etc. obviously matters
The Nordhaven 46 AVS varies between around 75 and 85 depending on the state of her tanks. Empty tanks lower the AVS.

But power boats don't need as high an AVS because they don't have mases of sails trying to roll the boat over.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, trawler

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: