Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2011, 23:06   #1

Towing a Big Dinghy ...

Really just wondering whether this is feasible at all.. and if so how it should be done...

I sort of wish I didnt buy it now but I splurged on this brand new 15'5" tinny about a year ago on a loan so I'll be stuck with it for sometime unless I want to lose a fair bit of money on it...

It is a great boat that I enjoy using with the kids etc however... so its not all bad..

Its just that I'm thinking of getting something like a PDQ 34' motorcat in a year or two.. and I'd love to have this with me cruising the Northern Territory (Australia) coast to do a bit of fishing/crabbing etc... just wanting to get opinions on whether I'm kidding myself if I think I can take this with me? (which I suspect I am)

I'd expect I wouldn't want to be in seas away from the coast with more than 15-20knot winds and even these could be interesting. I'd only drag it with me if I was fairly confident that I had the time to wait on the weather and keep out of bad stuff.

Here are some reasons why I'd love to have it with me;
1. Barramundi/crabbing is always around large saltwater crocodiles.. I've seen them chewing on many a foam buoy etc.. it would be too exciting for me to be near them in a blowup zodiac!
2. Would love to do a bit of blue water trolling if conditions suit over remote reefs etc - and I'd expect any boat that I could carry on the back of a 34' cat to be too small for this unless the water is glass?

I guess apart from the normal disadvantages of towing (ropes around props, losing boats etc) one problem would that such a boat wouldn't be great for getting on shore as I couldnt drag it around with the tide etc?

Any thoughts appreciated. I should mention I would only be doing about 7 knots in the PDQ when towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	27939  
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 00:27   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Towing a big dinghy...

If the boat could tow the tinny comfortably, I can't see any real reasons why this is not possible for a coastal cruise in reasonably sheltered norther waters. Reef fisherman tow and use dories about the same size all the time inside the reef in all kinds of weather. You might want to look at how they prep their dories - they usually install a bumper around the motor (probably only because they tow in a daisy chain and this stops bumping damage) and perhaps have additional floatation foam. Getting to shore is easy in a bigger boat, either work the tide or just use two anchors - throw one out on the way in and use the second to connect the boat to the shore. If you want to be inventive, I'm sure some sort of block or other arrangement could be rigged to allow you to pull the boat further into the water and back again as needed.

To protect the boat bumping into the cat at anchor fenders and pool noodles should do the trick and this is where the bumper around the outboard will help too.

Other things to consider would be anti fouling, installing an automatic bilge pump and maybe even splash guards or tonneau style cover to help keep the water out.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 00:45   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by djambalawa View Post
I sort of wish I didnt buy it now but I splurged on this brand new 15'5" tinny about a year ago on a loan so I'll be stuck with it for sometime unless I want to lose a fair bit of money on it...
Bummer eh
They are so cheap second hand

Quote:
Its just that I'm thinking of getting something like a PDQ 34' motorcat in a year or two.. and I'd love to have this with me cruising the Northern Territory (Australia) coast
Your in Australia right?
The PDQ is not the boat for you

Personally, I think if you can afford a several hundred thousand dollar powercat and associated running costs, surely you can afford to get the right dinghy and take a small loss on what you have.
Or just buy a cat that suits the dinghy, which is not the pdq
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19   #4

Thanks Reef/Cat just a few notes/questions in reply Catman;

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post

Your in Australia right?
The PDQ is not the boat for you
I really like the look of the 34' PDQ motorcat in my ignorance and all so am very keen to know why you think its no good for Australia? Not trying to be smart here I am geniunely ignorant - total newby to all this and just trying to learn

Do you think the style of boat is no good for tropical australia or the PDQ brand itself?

Quote:
Personally, I think if you can afford a several hundred thousand dollar powercat and associated running costs, surely you can afford to get the right dinghy and take a small loss on what you have.
Or just buy a cat that suits the dinghy, which is not the pdq

Don't get me wrong I don't have this sort of money laying around. I might have $250k equity in my house etc in a couple of years and would be "selling up" pretty much everything to live-aboard. My wife and I are sick of rotting in the suburbs and are both looking for a real change - getting back to basics etc. We have pretty average wages but are sick of living right on the edge of our means (see above boat loan and 2 cars, mortgage and other toys that we want to get rid off) We'd continue working after living aboard in the short to medium term.

The average middle-class couple in Australia could do the same as I am doing if they were silly like me.

Looking at 2nd hand PDQs in the US they seem to range from $160k to $260k AUD so I'm hoping (and this depends on the real estate market here.. the aussie dollar strength.. the US market etc) in a couple of years I could get one to Australia for about $250k.

I cannot see any of these PDQs for sale in Australia (I wonder if thats related to your statement above that they are not the boat for Australia?) but would love to hear of any other alternatives.

For instance a Lagoon 43' powercat (which I think is a bit big for me anyway - even though I am living aboard - we really want to get back to basics and think we could live in a 34 footer) seems to average for about $600k in Australia and about $250k in the US! And the (probably dodgy) research I've done seems to indicate that the PDQs have a lot more respect than do the lagoons... the lagoons do seem to me to be a bit flashy and not as robust and practical as the PDQs...

And in regards to running costs I am talking about an economic trawler cat here - and from my reading on this site and others the general consensus is that the ongoing costs are pretty much the same for the same sized sailing boat?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56   #5

Quote:

Do you think the style of boat is no good for tropical australia or the PDQ brand itself?
Yeah, I hate powercats, they are not suited for tropical Australia (look at avatar)

Quote:
Looking at 2nd hand PDQs in the US they seem to range from $160k to $260k AUD so I'm hoping (and this depends on the real estate market here.. the aussie dollar strength.. the US market etc) in a couple of years I could get one to Australia for about $250k.
$250k seems to be closer to the number
Pdq boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com

And then there is delivery costs which get added on to final valuations and I believe it doesn't matter if you pay $100k for the boat, it is the val that customs put on the vessel that you are taxed on, plus delivery, but check that out for yourself.

Quote:
I cannot see any of these PDQs for sale in Australia (I wonder if thats related to your statement above that they are not the boat for Australia?) but would love to hear of any other alternatives.
Thats it exactly
Alternatives?
How about the scimitar 1010,
SCIMITAR 1010 boat details - BoatPoint Australia
looks like more room and similar dollars and could probably swing your dinghy off the back although I wouldnt be, I dont even have one that big planned on my 50 footer

Quote:
For instance a Lagoon 43' powercat (which I think is a bit big for me anyway - even though I am living aboard -
I found them quite small with a poor use of space

Quote:
we really want to get back to basics and think we could live in a 34 footer)
From experience and with many acquittance's doing similar, I think you will find it to small as a live a board

Quote:
And in regards to running costs I am talking about an economic trawler cat here
compared to some, yes

Quote:
- and from my reading on this site and others the general consensus is that the ongoing costs are pretty much the same for the same sized sailing boat?
I came to the same conclusion
Old 01-06-2011, 06:11   #6

Thanks for taking the time catman - that scimitar does look interesting thanks! In regards to the PDQs apart from the better use of space you mentioned is there any other reasons you'd not want one apart from cost?

I didnt realise that customs go on valuation and not paid price.. but there is one in that list you quoted from yachtworld for $170k AUD. If they valued it at $100k more this is still only $10k more GST (which is a lot but perhaps not in the scale of things). I know delivery charges etc will be taxed too... I have a rough quote of $40k for importing such a boat... I know there are other costs too but I thought for these boats there would be a chance of getting one here in a couple of years for $250k (if the market is still weak in the US etc) as they'll be a couple of years older etc... the boat you linked is 5 years older than these - although it does have 2005 engines it seems...

So yeah agreed there is some doubt about cost but just wondering if theres any other reasons you have for not thinking they are suitable for me in Australia if the price did add up?

I'll definately add the scimitars to my list to keep an eye on thanks.
Old 01-06-2011, 16:06   #7

Quote:
In regards to the PDQs apart from the better use of space you mentioned is there any other reasons you'd not want one apart from cost?
I havent been on one so no real reason, apart from Australia/NZ I would suggest are the world leaders in Multihull design both power and sail

Plus the scimitar, as an example , is a slightly bigger vessel
I think it is false economy to have "Too Short" a boat as a live-aboard as they just end up overloaded and non performing and the blame inadvertently being palmed off as poor design, when in reality, it was poor choice.
Thats why I am doing a 40foot on 50foot hulls, built on the requirements of 2 people.

Quote:
I didnt realise that customs go on valuation and not paid price.. but there is one in that list you quoted from yachtworld for $170k AUD
That vessel is only 32 ft
A weekender yes, a few months at a pinch, yes
A live-aboard, I just cant see it

Quote:
importing a yacht
Yachts are subject to a general rate of duty of 5% based on the customs value (basically the price paid) and 10% GST calculated on the customs value plus international transport and insurance plus the duty.

Privately imported yachts are generally valued using the transaction method of valuation when purchased overseas new or second-hand for export to Australia. Circumstances where Customs may use an alternative method of valuation include such situations as where: click link for more

importing a yacht
Do your homework, customs dept seem to be a law unto their own

Quote:
I thought for these boats there would be a chance of getting one here in a couple of years for $250k (if the market is still weak in the US etc)
Perhaps, if you think the AUD -USD will still be at parity and above in a couple of years (If so, Australia will be in much worse shape than it is now)
And if you think the USD will even exist in a couple of years time.
We live in interesting and uncertain times.
Old 01-06-2011, 16:19   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Towing a Big Dinghy ...

Quite a drift, but as to towing... I used to haul a 19' Nautica hard bottom inflatable with a 200 Merc behind a 28' Bertram with twin Yanmars... ON PLANE!
Old 01-06-2011, 16:59   #9

Having a quick look through the ads, I would have to be looking at these as well

VENTURER 3650 boat details - BoatPoint Australia

The one below seems to be well thought out with all the bells and whistles and is the larger version

38' Venturer trawler catamaran for sale
Old 01-06-2011, 18:11   #10

Quote:
Having a quick look through the ads, I would have to be looking at these as well
Thanks catman - looks very reasonable that one! I'd like a bigger flybridge as I think I'd spend a lot of time on it but that seems pretty damn good for a 2006 model... *doh* 2006 engines.. but yeah still seems good.

Tags
dinghy