Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 15:48   #91

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Toilet paper and head cog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
This is not a joke, I am completely serious about this.

Your TP is no big thing, but everybodies TP is a big thing. TP is big business, I'm showing how it could be a little smaller business.
just one thin piece of paper away from some sort of infection.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 15:54   #92
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Toilet paper and head cog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchavei View Post
I would like to know on what God forsaken Portuguese mountain trail you were to have experienced this? [emoji14]

I only live here for like 30 years but I admit I'm not too fond of visiting forgotten villages in the deep northeast so my knowledge might be incomplete.

Same here. Not in Spain or Portugal.

Enviado do meu GT-I9195 através de Tapatalk
Obviously don't go out much...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 15:57   #93

Boat: Rafiki 37

Geesze, how did heads and TP get so political . Everything we do has an environmental impact. The idea that my little impact makes no difference, so it doesn't matter what I do, is how we keep getting into ecological problems.

But the question is: does TP clog up a marine head. The answer is: Not necessarily. It depends on your head, and how much TP you use. A decent marine head, used properly, with a modest amount of TP, will be fine. If you can't do that, then bag it. Either way, if it works for you, then it's all good .

Of course, the best option is to go for a composting head. But that opens up a whole new (well trod) battle line.

Doodo what works for you and yours. The rest is just noise.
Old 09-05-2016, 16:10   #94

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Maybe use TP 1st twice then use baby wipes and bag them. That is what we do in the RV. It works ok...not great but ok.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 16:30   #95

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

This is a new benchmark for CF: folks arguing passionately about how best to wipe their asses and save the world.

CF never fails to amaze and amuse me.

Jim
Old 09-05-2016, 17:08   #96

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>> Yes I do have a life. One of these gas saving conveyances will travel with me on the boat.

Your TP is no big thing, but everybodies TP is a big thing. TP is big business, I'm showing how it could be a little smaller business.
Care to share with us what engine you have on your steel boat?

Everyone has their opinions.

Your boat, your choice.

Remember, fellow forum members, there may NOT be only one right answer for all of us.

I'm, however, with Ron on this one.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 17:27   #97
cruiser

Quote:

I honestly thought you were joking. As a healthcare professional, I sincerely hope you find the help you obviously need. You're not going to save the planet by reusing your toilet paper multiple times, more likely... you're going to get very sick or at the very least, get one hell of an ass infection.

Good luck and fair winds.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 17:39   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Obviously don't go out much...
You have no idea of how much I go out. Actually it's easier to count the days in the year I stay at home and even easier to count the meals I have at home but yes, you're right. I don't visit 15th century villages often. Actually quite rare and I can't remember using somebody's toilet there.

Maybe there are TP bins out there but I'm glad I haven't found them. [emoji14]

Peace.

tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 17:50   #99
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Toilet paper and head cog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchavei View Post
You have no idea of how much I go out. Actually it's easier to count the days in the year I stay at home and even easier to count the meals I have at home but yes, you're right. I don't visit 15th century villages often. Actually quite rare and I can't remember using somebody's toilet there.

Maybe there are TP bins out there but I'm glad I haven't found them. [emoji14]

Peace.

Its funny that I've seen them in toilets from Viana do Castelo down to and all along the Algarve... if you ever bother to look

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 00:43   #100

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This is a new benchmark for CF: folks arguing passionately about how best to wipe their asses and save the world.

Jim
Very important subjects.

I recall when I was young being caught short out in the bush without paper and having to make a choice of which stick to use, correct OD, smooth but non slippery surface, no knots, preferably dry wood but definitely no splinters etc. (Wonder what Mexicans do in this situation)

There is big money in saving the world these days and you can bet that there is someone somewhere seeking a grant to study the effects of toilet paper on the marine environment.

I'm a wipe and throw sort of bloke myself and reusing toilet paper is a brand of zealotry completely beyond my comprehension.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 00:48   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
At least there has not been a survey to ask whether people prefer to inspect the TP or not look when bagging/binning it
Old 10-05-2016, 01:04   #102

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
m a wipe and throw sort of bloke myself and reusing toilet paper is a brand of zealotry completely beyond my comprehension.
Well, I sure agree with that!

Jim
Old 10-05-2016, 01:09   #103

Will this thread deteriorate into a mono ply verses multi ply war?

The mods better keep a close eye on it, just in case it needs to be locked
Old 10-05-2016, 03:16   #104

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

Just because you spent a lot of money on your boat does not make it OK to make waste of the world. I don't expect many to consider this, but I do offer it as a reasonable alternative. I do it and works great for me. And if you might not consider it reasonable to put your wad in a bag, or quite possibly let it dry and reuse it as a base for the next wad, then you are not welcome to **** on my boat. That's fine. Every little thing when multiplied by millions is no longer little, I'm sure the person that shot the last Dodo, figured it was no big deal. just like the thousands before him that had also killed them. It's no big deal to fill up my huge gas guzzling vehicle with fossil fuel, it's just a little thing, but when done millions if times a day, it's called air pollution. It's why I ride a Honda 90 motorcycle, and built a folding side car to transport a 4kw generator a couple hundred miles back to my boat. It's also why I designed and built a full size bicycle with full size wheels that folds up to airport carry on luggage, even the wheels disassemble. It's why I rode a weedwacker powered bicycle from Kansas to Florida on $22 of gas. I do this to save fuel, show it can be done, and also for the adventure. Yes I do have a life. One of these gas saving conveyances will travel with me on the boat.

Ok, you obviously are being serious. In which case can I recommend 'cloth' wipes. Hell of a lot more hygienic than your attempt at saving the world piece by piece. Using cloth wipes, though a bit extreem, is a bit more realistic and is centuries old, well before paper was invented.

Our Switch to Cloth Wipes (a.k.a. Cloth Toilet Paper)

Another option is what sailing ships used for centuries. I can't remember what it was called but, from the head a frayed knotted rope was dragged behind the ship. When somone went to the head and did number 2's, they would pull in this rope to wipe their backside with. Then throw it out the window again where it would be cleaned by the waves again ready for the next person.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:41   #105

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I honestly thought you were joking. As a healthcare professional, I sincerely hope you find the help you obviously need. You're not going to save the planet by reusing your toilet paper multiple times, more likely... you're going to get very sick or at the very least, get one hell of an ass infection.

Good luck and fair winds.
I've been doing it for months with absolutely no problems, If there is a slight discoloring on the last couple sheets, basically clean wipes and they come apart I'll unfold them and use them again, each wipe is with rather clean TP. The paper touching my hands is clean from the original wad and the paper touching my ass is almost or absolutely as clean as any normal wipe, the dried **** is inside the wad and always completely covered up. I'm using an average of 4 new sheets with each movement instead of 10 or more like most use, before coming up with and using this method I used to get by with probably an average of 7 sheets carefully folded. I still carefully fold the paper and get an average of 6 wipes out of the 4 new sheets.

I do not need help as you suggest, I am an extremely intelligent person that is willing to try interesting alternatives to problems. I've taught college engineering for most of my life, and have even worked on helping in designing the NASA space suit. NASA needs creative people.

To answer the other question asked, The engine in my boat is Yanmar 4 cylinder diesel, it doesn't have to run very often, that's what the sails are for, but an engine is necessary sometimes. I also will have the single cylinder 4kw Farryman Fisher Panda diesel generator, it will run more then the larger Yanmar. But solar, and Ferris wind and water generators will do their best to keep the Farryman quiet also. I have a full machine shop on board and even a full size welder.

Tags
head, oil