Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-05-2016, 22:05   #211

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Toilet paper and head clog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Ok a composting head is approved for use in a no discharge area. But once you dump it overboard, you are discharging affluent and not legal in a no discharge zone.

Can't argue with that logic. Which is why I don't dump overboard in a no discharge area. I still pee overboard since urine is sterile, but I would never dump.

Composting heads are USCG approved b/c they're considered to be the same as a holding tank, which is exactly what they are. The benefits of a CH is the simplicity, safety and capacity. Two of us can go for 5-6 weeks full time before having to empty. And there's the added benefit of not worrying about tp use.

Old 29-05-2016, 22:15   #212

Boat: islandpacket

Thats all well and good. I'm just trying to make the point that just because its dried you can't just dump it anywhere. And people are not stating that.

Old 29-05-2016, 22:32   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Thats all well and good. I'm just trying to make the point that just because its dried you can't just dump it anywhere. And people are not stating that.

Who said a composting head could be dumped anywhere? I don't recall that ever being suggested in all the various ch discussions. It can be dumped in any place that allows effluent discharge, like out at sea. Simple.
Old 29-05-2016, 23:35   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
...I still pee overboard since urine is sterile...
Think about that one for a minute and then tell me you believe it. This is one of the million urban legends that gets repeated on the internet as fact and it is nonsense. Think about the production and delivery of urine and it should be obvious that it is not close to sterile. So please don't pee overboard when you are anchored upcurrent of me.

Thank you and please carry on.
Old 30-05-2016, 07:01   #215

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin driver View Post
Think about that one for a minute and then tell me you believe it. This is one of the million urban legends that gets repeated on the internet as fact and it is nonsense. Think about the production and delivery of urine and it should be obvious that it is not close to sterile. So please don't pee overboard when you are anchored upcurrent of me.

I would agree with your thought that the human body from which the urine is expelled is not sterile. This concern might cause you to not swim at locations where other people are swimming, but then the water and air are teeming with microbes from many sources and we remain breathing the air among others too.

It's not an urban myth that urine is typically sterile. The urea itself is a combination of carbon-dioxide and ammonia. The greatest volume is water and the remaining contents are salts and minerals.

Mike OReilly is correct in identifying the minimal impact and risk of urine though it is important to note that the regulations regarding the sanitation devices on board vessels in the US do not discriminate between the treatment of urine and feces.
Old 30-05-2016, 07:09   #216
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I would agree with your thought that the human body from which the urine is expelled is not sterile. This concern might cause you to not swim at locations where other people are swimming, but then the water and air are teeming with microbes from many sources and we remain breathing the air among others too.

It's not an urban myth that urine is typically sterile. The urea itself is a combination of carbon-dioxide and ammonia. The greatest volume is water and the remaining contents are salts and minerals.

Mike OReilly is correct in identifying the minimal impact and risk of urine though it is important to note that the regulations regarding the sanitation devices on board vessels in the US do not discriminate between the treatment of urine and feces.
I agree.
If you think about the thought of someone peeing up current of you is gross, you should see our Florida beaches on a summer day like today. There will be literally hundreds of thousands of people up and down the coast in the water all day. And guess what practically everyone of them will do when they first get in???

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 07:16   #217
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

And Least I forget.

It is with solemn and thankful gratitude that I recognize this day and thank those that are not here that have paid the ultimate sacrifice that I and my family might be.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 07:35   #218

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

You are completely correct in that urine is definately NOT sterile. That silly Bear Gizzley, or whatever his name, is responsible for the new surge nice in this myth.

But, whilst it's not sterile, it's a million to one chance of ever catching anything from someone that just happens to have an infectious disease from peeing over board.
Old 30-05-2016, 07:37   #219

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

It is a myth.
Old 30-05-2016, 07:41   #220
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Speaking of the military and TP in the heads; when I was in the Navy serving on submarines after the TP was used to wipe our ass ............... it went into the bowl to go into the holding tank. With 130 people using it daily it never clogged.
Old 30-05-2016, 07:42   #221

Quote:

You're right, it's not 100%, absolutely sterile. But unless you've got a bladder infection, or some other issue going on, it's more sterile than just about any other part of the body; like skin for example.

So please don't swim anywhere near me when anchored up current. Heck, don't even breathe

And please, carry on.
Old 30-05-2016, 07:45   #222
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It is a myth.
yes it is a myth and a difficult internet search confirms it:

"Urine is not sterile, even before it comes out of you and gets contaminated by your skin. Bacteria are present at low levels in the urine of healthy people not suffering from a urinary tract infection, Evann Hilt of Loyola University of Chicago reported May 18 at a conference of the American Society for Microbiology"

If you are going to put your pee overboard just do it, don't make up stories to yourself and spread it around.
Old 30-05-2016, 08:15   #223

Bacteria from Mars found inside ancient meteorite

Mars is peeing on us

Look, I don't enjoy this kind of thread drift. The only reason composting heads came up here is in response to the OP's query about TP and head clogs. Someone pointed out one way to deal with this problem is to use a composter.

Those who dislike composting heads don't have to install one. They function very well, but so do standard marine heads. Use what works for you.
Old 30-05-2016, 10:00   #224
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Standards for municipal secondary treatment plants ecoli output: 40 PPM max.

ElectroScan: 2PPM.

In Raritan's patented new system, sewage is pumped, on a flush-by-flush basis, into the first of two treatment chambers, and macerated into fine particles. Electricity (from rare-earth titanium electrodes with a proprietary coating) is introduced into the salt water, which separates the sodium from the chloride, creating free-standing chlorine ions, which neutralizes and disinfects the waste. At the end of the electric charge, the sodium and chloride recombine naturally within the unit so no chemicals are discharged. The particles then move into the second chamber during the next flush where the process is repeated. When discharged, the effluent particulate can best be described as light dust and, in extensive testing, the fecal coliform (FCU) content was found to be only 2.43FCU/100mL; by comparison, 14FCU/100mL is the shell-fishing-approved standard. (The current standard for Type I MSDs is less than 1000FCU/100mL.)
These new results were established in extensive testing conducted by the EPA in 2007, and announced in 2010. The EPA Executive Summary of that test determined: "... The Electro Scan device removed almost all pathogen indicators (99.99% or greater)." This is the first time an independent and thoroughly conducted test, sponsored by the EPA, has validated the results of this technology. Raritan, too, has had the product independently tested periodically for recertification, but the EPA-sponsored test was the most thorough. To see a table of results, and the EPA Executive Summary, visit www.BoatUS.com/Magazine.

[snipped]

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/...f-business.asp
Old 30-05-2016, 10:06   #225

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
It's not an urban myth that urine is typically sterile. The urea itself is a combination of carbon-dioxide and ammonia. The greatest volume is water and the remaining contents are salts and minerals. ..........
These concerns about the presence of bacteria are unfounded. Yes, urine does not "typically" represent a source of bacteria. Certainly, researchers have found bacteria in urine, but it's easier to find a higher bacteria count in tap water.

There are so many misconceptions about microbes that are associated with the "euw" or "yuck" impressions that people associate with body functions.

Hands are far more commonly carrying pathogens than toilet seats.
Toothbrushes usually have higher microbial populations than toilet cleaning brushes. I spent thirty two years annually collecting bacteria counts with such samples as part of my work before retiring. 'not all I did, but an annual event.

Sure, it's wise to avoid harmful bacteria, but the source to the risks are often misunderstood. Most misconceptions are due to some specific diseases that historically have been cycled through populations by the lack of proper sewage treatment and hygiene.

...'ah well, back to the clog!

Tags
head, oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: