Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-05-2016, 22:09   #181

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Toilet paper and head clog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
True story:

In my mother's youth, 200 yards from her mother's house in a little town in Darkest Jutland, there was a chap who grew the lushest strawberries you have ever seen. In season, on market day, he would load up his hand cart with boxes and boxes of these lovely berries and take them off by train to the market town some twenty miles away, as he did with other produce in its season. His goods sold at a brisk pace. To my mother's annoyance and chagrin she was never permitted to have any.

Jack also had a steady, year round job in town emptying the “honey pots” that were then a standard appurtenance to every moderately well-to-do-house, flush-toilets being only for the rich. The night soil was, of course, put to good use in Jack's garden.

Going his appointed rounds through town day after day pushing the laden cart was no doubt a trial for the man, and he fortified himself by means of bottles of the local “burnt wine” (akvavit – form of vodka - “screech” if you speak Newfie) stashed within suitable out-houses here and there.

As an evil fortune would have it, the vicar, having come into an inheritance, had a flush-toilet installed in his house, and when the one-holer was torn down, a bottle was discovered. The vicar's wife, driven by true Christian charity, made it known to all the matrons in town that Jack was a boozer. Emotion and umbrage ran high. Social position had to be protected. Jack lost a great number of his “contracts”.

Jack fell on hard times, became embittered, hit the bottle for solace rather than for fortification and lost his house and garden for want of income. But the matrons, smuggly, held the high moral ground in the sure and certain knowledge that the Lord would reward them for their righteousness.

Granny, I'm pleased to be able to report, was not among that lot!

TrentePieds
Very entertaining reading have no idea what it has to do with this thread, but I liked reading it. If you wrote it, I like your style of writing too.

Old 14-05-2016, 22:14   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The reason is so you can stay in a lovely enclose anchorage nearly indefinitely without fouling the local waters with your poop. Dumping out at sea, or in areas with good flow: no problem . Dumping in an enclosed anchorage/marina is just bad form .
okay, so I suppose a compost toilet just means you avoid the need to pump out. Or leave marina to go to see just to empty. Which makes sense to me now.

Old 14-05-2016, 22:21   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
-can't clog
-can't leak
-easier to install/repair
-less frequent "pump outs"
-no flooding risk
Can't clog fair enough. But a good electric shouldn't clog either. At least mine never has.

Can't leak hmmm, I would imagine you can 'spill' the contents.

Easier to install/repair hmmm I didn't find mine difficult to install, but I can see what you mean. No plumbing at all.

Less frequent pump outs none really. Big plus.

No flooding risk I don't think there is any risk of mine flooding as long as I turn the sea valve off as a standard practice when leaving the vessel.
Old 14-05-2016, 22:25   #184

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
okay, so I suppose a compost toilet just means you avoid the need to pump out. Or leave marina to go to see just to empty. Which makes sense to me now.
Now you are starting to understand the true nature of things! Enlightenment comes in time. No problem with TP blocking a composter.
Old 14-05-2016, 22:29   #185

Quote:
Can't leak hmmm, I would imagine you can 'spill' the contents.
Liquids and solids are separated in two compartments.

The solids get peat moss, cedar chips, etc added to them = very dry.

(more TP is actually helpful)

The liquids container gets taken out and tossed overboard regularly.

...even if the latter spilled somehow, nowhere near as bad as the contents of a holding tank.

:-O

Quote:
Easier to install/repair hmmm I didn't find mine difficult to install, but I can see what you mean. No plumbing at all.
Bingo

Quote:
No flooding risk I don't think there is any risk of mine flooding as long as I turn the sea valve off as a standard practice when leaving the vessel.
True, but no thru-hull means you don't even have to worry about it.

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 01:08   #186

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Why (and where) do they make pit toilets with Poly tanks?

What do they do when they fill up? Just bury the whole thing and start again else where?

Now we got poly pit toilet deniers on the forum.

I have used them here in Australia on islands in Western Australia and in national parks in Queensland and in the Semliki game park in Uganda.

I don't know how they keep them from filling up, maybe worms or compost them regularly and empty them.

I was surprised at how clean and odour free they were.
Old 15-05-2016, 01:30   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Now we got poly pit toilet deniers on the forum.

I have used them here in Australia on islands in Western Australia and in national parks in Queensland and in the Semliki game park in Uganda.

I don't know how they keep them from filling up, maybe worms or compost them regularly and empty them.

I was surprised at how clean and odour free they were.
I certainly have used 'pit' toilets too. But they are anything but clean and odour free.

I think your referring to composting toilets. Great idea. They are pretty much the same as the marine compost toilets we are talking about except you don't collect the liquids. Saw dust or other seed husks are used in them. Then at intervals one half is shovelled out. These toilets are usually off a bank or built up with steps to get to the top of the poly tank. All our national parks, that have toilets have these compost toilets.

A 'pit toilet' as I'm used to the expression being used, is just a hole dug in the ground of six feet deep or more. When it gets full you simply bury it and move the 'out house' to another location. You can't control the odour. If they are deep enough (at least six feet) they are meant to deter flies as it's said flies won't go down that deep.
Old 15-05-2016, 01:32   #188

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:

...even if the latter spilled somehow, nowhere near as bad as the contents of a holding tank.

Bingo

Having to look after you excrement like that just sounds totally disgusting

I'm happy to have a holding tank. I can spend quite a few days at anchor before I need to head out for a dumping and the only thing I ever need to do is switch the valve.
Old 15-05-2016, 01:40   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

I'm happy to have a holding tank. I can spend quite a few days at anchor before I need to head out for a dumping and the only thing I ever need to do is switch the valve.
Seems like 'work' to me too But I can see the point now. Unless you have a pretty big holding tank, then a compost toilet would certainly help in many places. Take Melbourne for example. The city marina provided a pump out so with my little 25ltr tank it wasn't too bad. But with over two hours to ge out in the bay far enough to discharge then a compost toilet would be a benefit.
Old 15-05-2016, 02:44   #190
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:

Bingo

I push a button.
Old 15-05-2016, 08:00   #191

Boat: Rafiki 37

Nice story TrentePieds. My grandfather drove the honey wagon in St. John's Newfoundland back in the 1930s (I think). He was certainly a heavy drinker as well. But I doubt anyone cared in NFLD.

BTW, I encountered akvavit while visiting Norway. Certainly an acquired taste . Screech is actually cheap Jamaican rum (today, not so cheap).
Old 15-05-2016, 10:03   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Not sure what you mean by "look after."

You use the composting head just like a traditional head (open lid, sit, do your business, close lid), except no pumping, and you can throw as much TP in it as you like, or anything else. No nasty bags or waste baskets for non-flushable items.

The only additional work is emptying the container from time to time. For a couple people, the solids container only needs emptying every 4 -6 weeks or so. This involves pulling the container, throwing the contents overboard (which by this point looks and smells like dirt), and putting the container back. Takes 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I push a button.
...and pray something happens, so you don't have to manually unclog the system.

P.S. Just to clarify something....

I get the impression that some folks, when they hear "composting toilet" envision this:

When actually it looks like this:

-- Seneca
Old 15-05-2016, 11:02   #193
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
...and pray something happens, so you don't have to manually unclog the system.

No praying. Only one issue in over four years of using macerating heads, when a guest flushed a tampon down the toilet. Even that didn't cause a clog, just 10 minutes to remove the motor and unwrap a string.

Some of you composters are obsessed.
Old 15-05-2016, 11:07   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No praying. Only one issue in over four years of using macerating heads, when a guest flushed a tampon down the toilet. Even that didn't cause a clog, just 10 minutes to remove the motor and unwrap a string.

Some of you composters are obsessed.
Hey, whatever floats your boat.

....or floods it with poo slurry.

-- Seneca
Old 15-05-2016, 11:18   #195

@ Mike O'Reilly

Scowegians will make an exorbitant display of “liking” akvavit, generally referred to as “snaps”, though few really do like it. One give-away is that it is always drunk with a beer chaser. And the reason for that is that swallowing the stuff feels like having a few feet of red-hot barbed wire drawn down your throat. Another give-away is that it is always drunk icy cold. And the reason for that is the anaesthetic effect of the cold.

But the social significance of snaps is enormous, as is the ritual surrounding the drinking of it. If you cannot drink it “like a man”, there are consequences. As I transisted from being a Scowegian to being a Canuck, I became somewhat of a pariah at family lunches – not quite “up to it” any more, doncha know?

A “good cup of coffee”, so said MySaintedFather, consists of a very strong brew of dark French Roast. This you pour into a cup, into the bottom of which you have placed a coin, until you cannot see the coin. Then you top it off with snaps till you can see the coin again.

Chacun à son goût :-)!

I had always been under the impression that screech is black-strap molasses, home stilled in a clandestine pot still just around the corner from that delightfully named "out-port", Dildo? Not that that's very different from Jamaican rum, of course!

As for what passes for screech these days, I suspect very strongly that the Marketing "Profession" has purloined the term in order to "gain market share" among people largely innocent of a sense of history. But the Newfie Liquor Control Board, or whatever you call it over there, is prolly not innocent :-)

Cheers!

TrentePieds

Tags
head, oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: