Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-05-2016, 18:14   #166

Boat: youngquist viking 34
Re: Toilet paper and head clog

In theory you are supposed to empty the poop from the diaper down the toilet then put the diaper in the trash in a sealed bag.
Yeah,right, like anyone does that. I mean besides that one lady..

Old 13-05-2016, 19:17   #167

Boat: Catalina 30

Dirty diapers went into the trash. So does litter. The trash guys around here don't care - a landfill is a landfill.

"poop-intolerance" sounds like a good name for a rock band.

Old 13-05-2016, 19:56   #168

HOT POO... uhmm..hot SCOOP off tonite's CTV Noos!

City of Vancouver, B.C. (not that other one!) reports that she spends a quarter of a million bux a year on clearing "non-flushables" from filtering screens at her "waste water" treatment plant on Iona Island. Wonder what Beothoc thinks of that! City spokesMAN was ever so delicate in defining "non-flushables". The "visuals" not so much.

A tax on young women sez I :-0)!

TrentePieds
Old 13-05-2016, 23:35   #169

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Anyone sell a bidet style "toilet seat"?

That and a nice hand towel might be about perfect. The water cleans the area that needs cleaning, and then you just dry yourself. Or another idea is an air dryer based system.
Old 13-05-2016, 23:48   #170
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "Pit' toilets in our Parks are banned for the very opposite reason. They are considered neither environmentally positive or healthy. Pit toilets leak into water catchment area's which then can harm that environment and flies which are commonly seen around pit toilets here spread sickness".

From what I understand VAST areas of Oz are quite barren. Under-fertilized, no doubt ;-0)!
In much of mainland OZ, pit toilets are standard fare, even still in a lot of national parks.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 09:46   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
Anyone sell a bidet style "toilet seat"?

That and a nice hand towel might be about perfect. The water cleans the area that needs cleaning, and then you just dry yourself. Or another idea is an air dryer based system.
We don't have one of these on the boat, but the master bathroom does.

Swash 1000 Advanced Bidet Toilet Seat | Brondell
Old 14-05-2016, 13:37   #172

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
In much of mainland OZ, pit toilets are standard fare, even still in a lot of national parks.
And generally do not cause problems because they are made as a big poly tank with a seat and lid on top which is buried in the ground unlike the old ones which were just an unsealed hole in the ground with a shack on top.
Old 14-05-2016, 16:15   #173

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
And generally do not cause problems because they are made as a big poly tank with a seat and lid on top which is buried in the ground unlike the old ones which were just an unsealed hole in the ground with a shack on top.
Why (and where) do they make pit toilets with Poly tanks?

What do they do when they fill up? Just bury the whole thing and start again else where?
Old 14-05-2016, 16:18   #174

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I had assumed Tassie was following the mainland. Usually we are a decade behind the mainland in just about everything. Tassie banned traditional pit toilets in our parks in the 90's.
Old 14-05-2016, 16:47   #175

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
If you dump it at sea what is the point of having a compost toilet

I thought the whole idea of having such a toilet was so that you didn't put things in the ocean if not, what is the purpose?

now don't take offence, I'm asking a genuine question. I've missed something in other discussions on compost toilets.

Having said that, it would have been handy recently where I spent a week in a Marina where I had to pump out every couple of days.
The reason is so you can stay in a lovely enclose anchorage nearly indefinitely without fouling the local waters with your poop. Dumping out at sea, or in areas with good flow: no problem . Dumping in an enclosed anchorage/marina is just bad form .
Old 14-05-2016, 17:40   #176

Quote: "Why (and where) do they make pit toilets with Poly tanks?"

Appearances can be deceiving :-) The poly-jobs are standard fare around here and known as "renta-potties" or "porta-potties". Absolutely spiffing for building sites, fairgrounds and other short term uses. At appropriate intervals a "vacuum truck", generally used to service septic tanks, comes around, slurps up the contents and takes them to a "sani-station", such ours here in our little piece of Heaven-on- Earth that I've already mention in a prior post. To paraphrase: "Waste - and want not!"

I'm tickled by one local "service organization" specializing in Porta-Potties: It bears the Corporate name "TidyTanks, Ltd." and its trucks are emblazoned with "Tanks a lot!"

The pit-loo remains indeed just what the name sez. But if you get desperate and their hose can reach, I'm sure TidyTanks would oblige you :-)!

TrentePieds
Old 14-05-2016, 18:32   #177

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Toilet paper and head cog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It appears that TP makes some people crazy!
Nahhh, clogged heads make people crazy. It's a matter of enlightened self interest. Contemplating the poo bag while on the throne gives me great ideas for world peace and environmental justice.
Old 14-05-2016, 19:26   #178
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "Why (and where) do they make pit toilets with Poly tanks?"

Appearances can be deceiving :-) The poly-jobs are standard fare around here and known as "renta-potties" or "porta-potties". Absolutely spiffing for building sites, fairgrounds and other short term uses. At appropriate intervals a "vacuum truck", generally used to service septic tanks, ..................................
That truck is referred to as a "honey Wagon".
Old 14-05-2016, 22:03   #179

True story:

In my mother's youth, 200 yards from her mother's house in a little town in Darkest Jutland, there was a chap who grew the lushest strawberries you have ever seen. In season, on market day, he would load up his hand cart with boxes and boxes of these lovely berries and take them off by train to the market town some twenty miles away, as he did with other produce in its season. His goods sold at a brisk pace. To my mother's annoyance and chagrin she was never permitted to have any.

Jack also had a steady, year round job in town emptying the “honey pots” that were then a standard appurtenance to every moderately well-to-do-house, flush-toilets being only for the rich. The night soil was, of course, put to good use in Jack's garden.

Going his appointed rounds through town day after day pushing the laden cart was no doubt a trial for the man, and he fortified himself by means of bottles of the local “burnt wine” (akvavit – form of vodka - “screech” if you speak Newfie) stashed within suitable out-houses here and there.

As an evil fortune would have it, the vicar, having come into an inheritance, had a flush-toilet installed in his house, and when the one-holer was torn down, a bottle was discovered. The vicar's wife, driven by true Christian charity, made it known to all the matrons in town that Jack was a boozer. Emotion and umbrage ran high. Social position had to be protected. Jack lost a great number of his “contracts”.

Jack fell on hard times, became embittered, hit the bottle for solace rather than for fortification and lost his house and garden for want of income. But the matrons, smuggly, held the high moral ground in the sure and certain knowledge that the Lord would reward them for their righteousness.

Granny, I'm pleased to be able to report, was not among that lot!

TrentePieds
Old 14-05-2016, 22:03   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
If you dump it at sea what is the point of having a compost toilet

I thought the whole idea of having such a toilet was so that you didn't put things in the ocean if not, what is the purpose?
-can't clog
-can't leak
-easier to install/repair
-less frequent "pump outs"
-no flooding risk

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: