Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 12:53   #1

pirate The Perfect Atlantic Intracoastal Vacation Boat

So after many years of boating the Long Island Sound, my wife and I are looking to expand our horizons. We are looking for a boat that we would be comfortable in for a week at a time with our 2 sons and 3 dogs. We would primarily use it as our "house" at the marina vs. Cruising the waterways. However, we will be cruising the Atlantic Intracoastal moving from Virginia Beach, VA down to Florida and even perhaps further around the panhandle. From what I undertand, that passage would consist of all protected waters no?

And finally to my point:
Best Option?

A. Trawler
B. 36' Plus Flybridge
C. Houseboat

Thanks for helping !!!!
NY GIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 13:22   #2

Re: The Perfect Atlantic Intracoastal Vaca Boat

All protected waters..well not exactly not open ocean but possible rough water none the less I have done the icw 6 times on a 34' trawler, mostly alone I would guess a houseboat would not be the best hull inspite of the room advantage
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 13:36   #3

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Not all of it is truly protected waters...but waiting for the right weather would make transit by a "rough water" houseboat possible....

Depends on the bow of the houseboat whether I would venture out in more than 3-4's.

Also, most houseboats aren't really powered for long distance cruising and therefore are not as efficient as a trwler...but they certainly could be repowered to be very efficient as they are nearly flat bottomed.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 13:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
All protected waters..well not exactly not open ocean but possible rough water none the less I have done the icw 6 times on a 34' trawler, mostly alone I would guess a houseboat would not be the best hull inspite of the room advantage
In a perfect world I would have something that I can have in Port Jefferson, LI, my home port, from May ~ Sept them cruise down the Intracoastal to the GA area for the rest of the aseson. For sure that would not be good with a houseboat. Then I can sell ortrade my 29' and 27' cabin cruisers for one larger boat. Hummmm
Old 22-02-2011, 13:41   #5

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

For your use I would take a look at the PDQ "power" catamaran. I forget if it is 32' or 34' long, but it has WAY more comfort and space than most boats considerably longer.

Being a cat, it gets really good mileage, without having to get on plane, and with twin engines you not only have a backup, but incredible close quarter maneuverability. Great visibility too.

If you wish, you can run most of this route without doing marinas, because the boat's shallow draft will allow you to just pull over somewhere safe, and if you judge the tide wrong, as we did once, you just sit there until the next tide floats you off. This is a huge advantage on the ICW.

I have run this a number of times, and it is mostly protected. The Chesapeake and NC Sounds can get nasty in a storm, as can the Sounds in Ga and N Florida. From there there is a bit of open water in the Keys and Florida Bay, then, after Cape Sable on the West coast of Fl, you go ICW all the way to Tarpon Springs. From here you pick calm weather, and do ONE overnighter to the panhandle, because the "arm pit" is very shallow and best avoided. If you watch your weather, you can avoid the drama almost entirely.

Good luck in your search... Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	258.JPG
Views:	785
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	24071  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 14:29   #6

Re: The Perfect Atlantic Intracoastal Vacation Boat

Very interesting. We don't see those around my part of the world. Seems like they would be pricey and not so roomy inside???
Old 22-02-2011, 14:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY GIN View Post
Very interesting. We don't see those around my part of the world. Seems like they would be pricey and not so roomy inside???
They are around, they are pricey, they have lot's of room in some ways but some of the room in the hulls is space some people don't like.
Old 22-02-2011, 14:42   #8

I need large open spaces for my active family. Small enclosed spaces are an absolute no no ....
Old 22-02-2011, 14:48   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

here is a perfect choice:
48' DeFever will consider Real Estate, cash, small boat - eBay (item 220738232642 end time Feb-18-11 11:44:52 PST)
Old 22-02-2011, 15:20   #10

7 years ago would have been fine. After closing my business and weathering this economic "down turn" no chance in hell!!
Old 22-02-2011, 15:37   #11

Maybe a older trawler then Something around 40' with aftcabin there should be many to choose from Any sort of planning hull will be prohibitive from a fuel cost stand point My single 120 lehman went fron the upper chesapeake to s. fl on 400 gal of fuel
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 15:43   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Have a look at our new to us trawler. Click on our Beach House link on my signature line. We switched from our 40 foot sailboat to this trawler for the purpose of cruising inland lakes and rivers as well as the Bahamas. If the 34 is too small for you, there is a 40 and there are many on the market at some pretty good prices. As with any older boat, you need to look carefully and get a good survey by a qualified surveyor before finalizing a purchase, even if it were a Defever. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 11:48   #13

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Maybe a older trawler then Something around 40' with aftcabin there should be many to choose from Any sort of planning hull will be prohibitive from a fuel cost stand point My single 120 lehman went fron the upper chesapeake to s. fl on 400 gal of fuel
Don't reject planing hulls out of hand. We just made some timed runs from New Smyrna Beach to St. Augustine and back at various rpms using a known quantity of fuel to make up some consumption charts. One amazing thing we found that was we can cruise at 6 knots on 3.4 gph diesel (this is two engines, we haven't calculated burn on just one). We did not calculate at 5 knots, which we will do in the future. While this certainly is still not as good as a single FL120 in a displacement hull, having twins and the ability to make 18 knots if needed is something we like a lot and are willing to pay a small price for.
Old 23-02-2011, 12:05   #14

I would say 80% of the time will be a nice relaxed cruise between 6 and 9 knots. However the option of being able to drop the hammer and get-er up to 17 - 19 knots is appealing to us. I have a possible trade on the table. My 1987 Thompson Daytona 290 for a 1972 Egg Harbor 38. She has twin gas guzzlers but if the deal went through I would trade my other boat in for a pair of diesels.
Old 23-02-2011, 12:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY GIN View Post
I would say 80% of the time will be a nice relaxed cruise between 6 and 9 knots. However the option of being able to drop the hammer and get-er up to 17 - 19 knots is appealing to us. I have a possible trade on the table. My 1987 Thompson Daytona 290 for a 1972 Egg Harbor 38. She has twin gas guzzlers but if the deal went through I would trade my other boat in for a pair of diesels.

Having looked at Eggs when I bought my last liveaboard boat (37 Silverton with factory installed 3208 Cats)....one....most of the pre-90 Eggs were pretty rotten throughout unless they were the few higher priced ones...putting small diesels in her would help but would just take a mediocre boat and take her farther from her original design use...big diesels and even at slow speeds the best you will see is around 2 nmpg.

Tags
vacation