Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 16:42   #1

The new guy wants to buy a boat in the Caribbean.

I like this forum, folks seem nice. So, I thought I would ask for some friendly advice. I plan to buy a boat and leave it on island to use for the four weeks per year that me and my family are down there. I am looking at 36-40 ft, outboards, sleeps 4. Used mostly for overnight use at marina or on the hook. My first question is, should I buy in US and ship down or buy down there? I know people that have done both. My second question, what is the least amount of length I can get away with and still be comfortable with Mom, Dad, daughter and friend?

Just getting the conversation going. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.
AXAboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 16:50   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: The new guy wants to buy a boat in the Caribbean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXAboatguy View Post
I like this forum, folks seem nice. So, I thought I would ask for some friendly advice. I plan to buy a boat and leave it on island to use for the four weeks per year that me and my family are down there. I am looking at 36-40 ft, outboards, sleeps 4. Used mostly for overnight use at marina or on the hook. My first question is, should I buy in US and ship down or buy down there? I know people that have done both. My second question, what is the least amount of length I can get away with and still be comfortable with Mom, Dad, daughter and friend?

Just getting the conversation going. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.
Charter?
Old 19-02-2013, 16:39   #3

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
My first question is, should I buy in US and ship down or buy down there? I know people that have done both. My second question, what is the least amount of length I can get away with and still be comfortable with Mom, Dad, daughter and friend?
Better selection stateside, I would buy there and motor, sail or ship down.

For four people go for at least 35 foot, the bigger the better.

I sailed it in a 32 foot sail boat which was cramped with three people.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 04:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, AXAboatguy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 09:31   #5

No charter for us. Thanks for the advice on length. I have an opportunity to purchase a used boat that was built on island and can be serviced by the builder, Rebel Marine. however, I pay a premium because the boat is already in the Caribbean. next two questions, what type of marine head do you think is the best? what type of anchor do you recommend for Caribbean?
Old 24-02-2013, 09:44   #6

another question...what would be a good operating speed for a 40 foot twin outboard? the boat I am looking at has twin Yamaha 225 four strokes with about 500 hrs on them. owner says he gets 18 knots cruise and 25-27 knot top speed with 23 knots in a good chop.
Old 24-02-2013, 09:50   #7

Boat: too many

Welcome to CF. Where is your home base? Which island is your vacation spot. If only being used 4 weeks per year I would leave it on the hard for your non use time.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 10:00   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Anchor: many types will work for you, ask what the locals are using. also, go big, if you think it is too big then you are in the ballpark don't forget that the anchor is just one link in your safety arsenal, be sure to take a hard look at whole system from chain, shackles, anchor roller, attachment, windlass, snubber etc.
Head is a whole nother animal, search threads you will find many heated debates we use a manual PhII but we are sail, electric may be an option for you.
Happy boating.
Erika
Old 24-02-2013, 10:05   #9

Quote:
another question...what would be a good operating speed for a 40 foot twin outboard? the boat I am looking at has twin Yamaha 225 four strokes with about 500 hrs on them. owner says he gets 18 knots cruise and 25-27 knot top speed with 23 knots in a good chop.
That seems a little underpowered to me. I'm more used to 2 x 250hp on a 30 footer. Frankly though, for a 40 footer, you should be going to diesels. Also, it seems to me the sailboat ads I see are not a premium price but rather a lower price in the islands. I'd find my perfect boat stateside and ship or pilot her down.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 11:56   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I like it when someone says "the Caribbean" as if it were all one friendly small town, one government, one set of rules.

I'm sure it makes no difference where you plan to keep the boat. How crowded [read: expensive] drydock is there. What the import duties might be, or the title requirements. Maintenance and insurance expenses.

I cna't help thinking that if you are going to use a boat for one month and then pay for hauling, drydock, maintenance, and everything else all year, you'd be better off chartering, no matter which venue it was.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 16:02   #11

[QUOTE=deckofficer;1167287]Welcome to CF. Where is your home base? Which island is your vacation spot. If only being used 4 weeks per year I would leave it on the hard for your non use time.[/QUOTE)

Thanks for asking. I tried to make it obvious with the AXA reference...I like to call Anguilla, BWI my home base, but I have a few more years before that becomes a reality. So for now it is my home away from home, which is Minneapolis, MN. When I pull the trigger, I will have it hauled in and out.
Old 26-02-2013, 16:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I like it when someone says "the Caribbean" as if it were all one friendly small town, one government, one set of rules.

I'm sure it makes no difference where you plan to keep the boat. How crowded [read: expensive] drydock is there. What the import duties might be, or the title requirements. Maintenance and insurance expenses.

I can't help thinking that if you are going to use a boat for one month and then pay for hauling, drydock, maintenance, and everything else all year, you'd be better off chartering, no matter which venue it was.
Whether I buy on SXM (Saint Martin) or haul down from US to SXM, it is duty free. Anguilla requires that I register boat for nominal fee. Dry dock is someones front yard close to shore. No formal marina on the island, several marine mechanics and one boat builder, Rebel Marine (which makes great boats). You point is well made regarding charter vs. ownership until I am down there long term. But, we are looking for no more than overnight excursions to St. Barth or St. Martin for right now. There is minimal chartering available from Anguilla, but there are boats for sale!
Old 26-02-2013, 16:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Anchor: many types will work for you, ask what the locals are using. also, go big, if you think it is too big then you are in the ballpark don't forget that the anchor is just one link in your safety arsenal, be sure to take a hard look at whole system from chain, shackles, anchor roller, attachment, windlass, snubber etc.
Head is a whole nother animal, search threads you will find many heated debates we use a manual PhII but we are sail, electric may be an option for you.
Happy boating.
Erika
Thansk for advice. I agree, bigger is better. Glad to hear I am thinking in line with you folks!
Old 26-02-2013, 16:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That seems a little underpowered to me. I'm more used to 2 x 250hp on a 30 footer. Frankly though, for a 40 footer, you should be going to diesels. Also, it seems to me the sailboat ads I see are not a premium price but rather a lower price in the islands. I'd find my perfect boat stateside and ship or pilot her down.

I thought so too, but then again I'm in no hurry out there on the water and I am still waiting to find out the the dry weight of this vessel. I am familiart with the builder (Rebel Marine) and I know the current owner used the vessel for fishing offshore. Most boats under 45 ft in AXA/SXM/STB are outboard powered because of utility and ability to "swap out" if necessary so they are gas. I hear no complaints and Yamaha four strokes are preferred. However, the new, larger Mercury (300+) are staring to pop up. Thanks for responding, because it validates my concerns and forces me think through this stuff.

Tags
Caribbean