Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2009, 07:33   #1

Tall Guy Cabin Cruiser < 30'

Hello,

This is my first post! I was wondering if any of you can provide suggestions for a good manufacturer that has cabin headroom for someone who is 6'2"?

I looked at the Rinker 280, and it had plenty of head clearance on the 2009 model. I am not sure if there are other manufactuers that are similar (and perferably a couple years old).

Can anyone provide some suggestions? This is my first cruiser, and so I want to be sure I make the right decision!

Thanks.

David
davidtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 08:14   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Welcome aboard David.

I think most mfgr's design for 6'2" so you might want to look at Doral's, Four Winns, Sea Rays etc. You might find info on cabin clearance on the mfgr's web sites but I highly recommend going out and looking at as many boats as possible. Areas where you're going to have problems is companionways, v-berth's & the head. If it's an express cruiser you're after most good canvas shops can raise the bimini or enclosure to suit your needs.

It's kind of like buying a nice pair of shoes, ya' gotta go try them on. Walk the docks, if you spot a boat you like, ask the owner nicely if you can have a look and explain why. Most will oblige.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 10:17   #3

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Hi there Dave. I am kind of impartial to Carvers. I'm 6' and my 30 footer has plenty of headroom. I have a flybridge though, which helps out alot with cabin space. That's something you might want to look in to.

Besides Carvers, I do like Four Winns and some Sea Rays.

Cheers

Bill
Old 16-01-2009, 12:20   #4

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
PS: My feet do not hang off the end of my mattress like they do in many V-berths.

IMHO Carver has the best interior layouts in the 30 foot range, meaning that they use the space available extremely efficiently. My 30 foot has more interior room than many 34's I've been in.

Bill
Old 25-04-2009, 19:47   #5

Boat: Carver Mariner 28'
Carver 28 mariner gets my thumbs up
reefpointbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 21:08   #6

Boat: Pearson 323
Looking and trying 27 -28 but stuck on a 24

I know the feeling of looking and researching boats. I am looking myself but no matter what I look at there is this Columbia Challenger 24 I cannot get out of my head. It is an old boat small with nil for headroom and a few problems with a bit of water washing up into the outboard well when sailing but I like the boat. I single and plan to stay that way so creature comfort is not all that important. Hell, I spent a year living in a homemade Weto or Indian dwelling. Everyone told I couldn't but I did and comfortably with only 5 foot headroom. There is room for a bimini over the companion way and will add some head room.
Won't know exactly what I will get until I get my retirement straightened out. Seems the company misused retirement funds and now trying to give everyone half of what we were supposed to get. So, that means taking retirement before 65 you get half of the half.

I plan on coastal and Island hopping and not transatlantic sailing away.
Rayallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 13:48   #7

Boat: Banjer 37 motorsailer
I am over 6' and so is my beautiful lady. Finding something to stand up in was easy. Finding something to sleep in was not. Even at near 40' of boat, we can't sleep in the same berth, any of the three, because all berths are too small.

We did find one boat, and Alaskan 46, with a custom rebuild in the fore cabin that worked, too bad the rest of the boat was junk.
meuritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 18:45   #8

Boat: 36' Carver Aft Cabin---River Rats
Send a message via AIM to USFREIGHT
I'm 6'0 and have plenty of headroom in my 36' Carver aft cabin.
USFREIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 19:31   #9

I'm 6'2 and have a Rinker 270 - I've plenty of room in the mid cabin berth and find no problems on the port side of the V berth - plenty of head room in the cabin although I do have to duck a bit when using head. Same goes for the cockpit with canvas up - plenty of room.

RichM
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 19:51   #10

Boat: Carver Santego 27 - Chops Ahoy!
Also 6' 2". I looked for a trailerable powerboat which had a full width swim platform and some sleeping accommodation. I bought a 1989 Carver Santego 27. This sleeps six tall people, and has 6" 3" headroom - except the vee berth. Because of the flybridge and by using the full 10" beam the inside seems very large. It also has a cockpit area, enough for three people to fish from. Boat is actually about 31' LOA.

In my opinion this is an excellent lake boat and a fair weather ocean boat. It is big enough to go to the Bahamas (from SE Florida) but since it is on a trailer dets around many of the problems of boats kept in the water.

These boats are very cheap, but do need maintenance.
pasogrande is offline   Reply With Quote