Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 14:50   #1

Angry Sunken boat restoration

Hi hope for some help. We bought a carver 34 ft, it had sunk due to problem at marina water system. Restoration. Was good and engines work great, but when we turn air conditioning unit on we get strong smell of engine oil. What could we clean fins of air conditioning unit with that would remove oil but not damage aluminum fins?
Beauty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 14:56   #2

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Sunken boat restoration

It will mean a solvent. Please don't explode your boat or gas yourselves. Can you supply pictures or at least a description of the setup, including ducts and cover plates?
Old 14-08-2015, 15:15   #3

Right, thanks don't want to do that either, might be better to pull unit out and clean outside boat, but then we would have to recharge system with coolant right?
Beauty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 15:25   #4

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Hard to tell. We know nothing about the AC unit. Is it integrated into the boat - IOW, is there a compressor tied to the engine or a generator with cooling lines led to the evaporator? Or is it a stand alone system?

If the former, you will need to drain the coolant and disconnect the lines in order to remove the unit. If the latter - remove, clean and replace.
Old 14-08-2015, 15:38   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Liquid Tide laundry detergent should do it. It will even take off cosmoline when used with hot water. You can find all kinds of "eco friendly" solvents sold in auto parts stores that will say if they are safe for aluminum, but Liquid Tide should be readily available and it will clean off any other crud that is in there. You may need a bag of pipe cleaners or a pressure sprayer, the kind used to spray weed killer, to really get in between the fins.

Pulling a system apart means more than recharging it. You need to apply a high vacuum first to empty it out (illegal to just open it up and dump the gas), then also be concerned about proper seals, not just recharging it. And apply vacuum again before recharging. A project to be avoided at all costs if the system is working.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 17:46   #6

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

Either way you can buy cleaning foam made for cleaning fins,in can that you spray onto the cooling fins.It will expand and force out dirt and debris.Then you rinse clean with water.It will leave fins like brand new and santized.I think you can buy at Lowe's and Walmart.
The problem is you will need access to the blower also to clean.That can be a little more tricky.
You probably will not need to remove either system from your boat.The coil cleaning foam will serve you well.You will just need to rinse out and vacuum up.
Let me know if you cannot find it.I have a can.And I also have a bottle of acid cleaner that mixes with water that the pro's use.I will get you a name.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 02:43   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Beauty.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 00:13   #8

Talk to a regeneration company and see if you can order a bottle of this green chemical mix it with water and it will clean it like brand new can't remember the name but it is expensive 80 bucks for 1 bottle that is sort of big. I use it on car rims I got it free from a regeneration guy works great. You just was it with a rag. They use it on large store units cleans everything off it and you don't need gloves
haha49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restoration