Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you prefer steel or fiberglass?
Steel 7 24.14%
Fiberglass 22 75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 07:54   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Steel vs. Fiberglass

Fibreglass is wayyy more PO proof.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Fibreglass is wayyy more PO proof.
What is "PO proof"?
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:20   #18

Boat: Roberts 434 pilothouse

OK here's my own personel view.. A steel boat most often shows her feelings in that she cries on occasion and little brown tear stained streaks may appear. In order to take care of her discomfort one would sand down the little wound to bare metal put a dab or two of two part epoxy and paint over to match the deck. These sore spots happen more often in areas of traffic and for me is something I would address in the spring taking a couple days to hunt for and mend any spots. So in a way I guess that is chasing rust.
There are always trade offs on boats, what I like about steel is the robustness for example the 316L stainless bollards on our steel boat (two astern and one on the bow) are not only welded to the deck but protrude through the hull and are welded to the frame so you could pretty much suspend the boat in the air from these attachments (think sea anchor or drouge). And there are many other examples in how the standing rigging is attached to the deck and what not. I like what I have but I can well understand having seen some deralic steel boats why they have a bad wrap. If she is built and protected properly with no areas for standing water to collect a steel boat can take you anywhere in safety and comfort. Just my rambling bias thoughts,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deck view 1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	55487  
Iskoteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 15:13   #19

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
I have had GRP, alloy and steel. All OK provided the material is handled well. Presently have a new build steel about to hit the water and an older steel project boat. Both built by first class tradesmen with impeccable attention to detail. It is the detail which is often overlooked by poor builders in any material. And they all need care/maintenance. Less chance of catastrophe in steel and much more forgiving of injury. Done well there is no reason for a larger vessel to be heavier in steel.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 01:05   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
What is "PO proof"?
PO = Previous Owner.

They come in all shapes and sizes , budgets (and lack of!), knowledge (and ignorance!) and sometimes with a laziness and wishful thinking factor.......and of course some with an addiction to "novel" fixes.

Broad rule is that the more PO's a boat has the more likely one (or more!) will have been broke or a numpty (or both!).......and that always gets reflected in the maintanence budget - yours!

My comment was that steel is not as much of a zero maintanence material as Fibreglass - nothing wrong with a well built (and designed) steel boat that has been maintained with some thought, but plenty of stories around about folk who bought steel boats that looked all shiney but over time revealed lots of nasties in hidden places - and sometimes that involves a trip to the knackers yard.......or a can of paint and a resale .

Not to say that fibreglass cannot have it's own problems (Osmosis & wet core), but as long as the PO has not done anything stupid (like drilling holes for fixings to start the core getting wet - or simply hitting stuff!) then doing nothing won't have any effect (Osmosis aside!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 06:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
PO = Previous Owner.

They come in all shapes and sizes , budgets (and lack of!), knowledge (and ignorance!) and sometimes with a laziness and wishful thinking factor.......and of course some with an addiction to "novel" fixes.

Broad rule is that the more PO's a boat has the more likely one (or more!) will have been broke or a numpty (or both!).......and that always gets reflected in the maintanence budget - yours!

My comment was that steel is not as much of a zero maintanence material as Fibreglass - nothing wrong with a well built (and designed) steel boat that has been maintained with some thought, but plenty of stories around about folk who bought steel boats that looked all shiney but over time revealed lots of nasties in hidden places - and sometimes that involves a trip to the knackers yard.......or a can of paint and a resale .

Not to say that fibreglass cannot have it's own problems (Osmosis & wet core), but as long as the PO has not done anything stupid (like drilling holes for fixings to start the core getting wet - or simply hitting stuff!) then doing nothing won't have any effect (Osmosis aside!).
Good info!!!

So another words, it would probably be fairly easy for a PO to hide neglect from a survey with paint. So when your purchasing a steel boat, it's kind of a crap shoot?
Old 23-02-2013, 06:29   #22

Would all of you steel boat owners and previous steel boat owners say that rust chasing is a daily task, weekly, monthy, bi-annually task, if let's say, the boat was in fairly good condition to begin with?

Also, do steel boats get painted with a different kind of paint then fiberglass boats?
Old 23-02-2013, 06:31   #23

Thought GG was committed to buying a steel Seahorse trawler??? My understanding is that steel boats have a number of benefits but do not hold their price near as well as FG vessels. So could be better bargain used provided maintenance is good.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 06:48   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

For those new to the material, it's not the rust chasing on the outside of the boat that is the biggest problem, but the unseen hidden places on the inside of the boat: below the fuel or water tanks, behind furniture, inside structural pieces. I know it was a long time ago and coatings have improved, but I remember reading about all the issues Eric Hiscock had with his Dutch steel boat custom built for him and always maintained by him. He swore off steel after that, and he is about as experienced a boater as you can get. I think it is a great material for the person who knows exactly what he/she is getting and how to maintain it--not for the average sailor.
Old 23-02-2013, 07:19   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

It is a weird choice. I would rather think alloys might be an alternative.

Steel boats are for areas where steel is required. Plastics are easy to build in any form, size and easy to maintain. Steel Optis are rare. Etc.. Apples vs. Oranges.

So I voted for a plastic hull with steel standing rigging. Again plastic for sails but bronze for rudder stock and hull fittings. Steel again for the stove and stanchions. Really, hard choices.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 07:47   #26

What about aluminum?

Best regards,

Mike
mbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 11:14   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckner View Post
What about aluminum?
What about it?

Material like any other. Masts are often made from it.

I think alloy vs. steel discussion is like grp vs. cre discusion. Fairer.

I think I have seen fewer poorly built alloy boats than poorly built steel boats. Perhaps aluminum intimidates the home builder. Perhaps it is more expensive.

Fine alloy boats are very fine. I like the new Cigale. I like the Bougainvillea. If one day we can afford one, they will be definitely amongst the choices.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 11:31   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Would all of you steel boat owners and previous steel boat owners say that rust chasing is a daily task, weekly, monthy, bi-annually task, if let's say, the boat was in fairly good condition to begin with?

Also, do steel boats get painted with a different kind of paint then fiberglass boats?
Lots of answers here..
Metal boat maintenance-A do it yourself guide - Scott Fratcher - Google Books
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 16:46   #29

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Fiberglass.
Why? I don't know how to weld but I do know how to fix fiberglass.

Tags
fiberglass