Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-03-2013, 20:49   #31

Re: Steel boats and rust

Just a suggestion for new construction of steel boats . When the hull is completed and upright, take a water hose and spray the heck out of the whole inside and mark every place that water puddles. Go back and make sure you put limber holes or drain holes in all of those spots, since puddling of water is what causes a lot of localized rust. Another thing to think about when the hull is done, but before the deck goes on is to weld the cap rail all of the way around while you can get to the inside weld without the deck in the way. My steel boat had about a 5 inch bulwark with a 1 inch SS pipe welded on top. The welding on the outside of the cap rail was fine, but the welding on the inside was done with only 5 inches of space and with the welder working almost upside down. There were many poor spots in the welding that lead to lots of rust running down the inside of the bulwark. Constant maintenance. If the cap rail had been welded before the deck went on, it would have been easy , with good visibility for the whole length of the weld. Another point is, if you are going to weld in integral tanks, have the tops sloped a little towards the centerline of the boat, so that any water leaking onto the top will drain off, rather than puddle against the hull. Another 2 cents worth____Grant.

gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 20:51   #32

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

I think what bobconnie said is true, honest and to the point. I have built a few steel boats and repair a few. The issue is not just rust but underwater corrosion from your neighbors stray currents. Not too many yards allow sand blasting anymore. This is really sealing the fate of steel boats everywhere. But suit yourself.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 21:35   #33
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

There are pros and cons in all materials
I like steel because it offers a better chance of survival if driven ashore in a Typhoon or a piloting error.
Why A Steel Boat - ALL AT SEA

Steel Hull also has better chance to survive a fire, once all the combustibles have burned off.
Video of Yachts on Fire

I still think it all boils down to personal choice and sometimes the decisions you make are just plain bad..
Two ¿untrained¿ sailors get lost and smash yacht bought on eBay for £3,000 into rocks (they only had to move it 700 metres) | Mail Online
Pelagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 08:41   #34

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Rust removal in hard nasty work. We just repainted our boat in Panama, $1000 for 30 gallons of paint and less for labor. Local guys get $20/day and chip with welding hammers. We do this every two years.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 08:57   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Now that is a GREAT reason to go to Panama.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 21:43   #36

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Many steel boats are problematic because they were not prepared correctly in the first place. If the interior was blasted, then had proper epoxy coatings applied to it it will give few problems. Foaming is less than desirable for a couple of reasons. First, when it burns most applications will give off cyanide gas. Second, it can hide improper steel preparation or welding technique. It does have the advantage that it will generally eliminate condensation, so no water, no corrosion.

Delfin has 13 years on her coatings and other than small exterior dings I fix with an airbrush the maintenance is significantly less than my FRP sailboat with a bit of wood.

Some Dutch boats, especially those built by yards like Vripak, have proper coatings, then balsa covered with tar to prevent condensation, then fiberglass batts over that. They will last longer than you will.

To accomplish the same effect on Delfin, we lined her with acoustical cork over Quietship, which is basically a sound deadening compound that goes on around 10 mils thick and provides additional protection from condensation. This was sprayed over a proper base of Ameron. Fiberglass batts over that and she is completely dry with zero condensation. Rust could occur, I suppose, but I just don't know how.

So my two cents is that if you can find a steel boat built by people who build steel boats, then verify how she was painted and what the plan was for elimination of condensation, you can cross fretting about internal corrosion off your list of probable worries. External maintenance is pretty simple, again assuming the people coating her knew what they were doing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Below decks.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	58270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cork.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	58271  

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine room starboard.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	58272  

When stupidity is a sufficient explanation, there is no need to appeal to another cause.
- Ulmann's Razor
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: