Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2013, 06:47   #16

Re: Steel boats and rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Most rust repair tends to involve some grinding/brushing/needle gun prepping, primer and top coat painting so is something you might do one or two times a year on deck. Any internal work maybe every few years or when installing new equipment. Minor external scrapes get brushed and primed and wait till next time.
Geez, that doesn't sound too bad. Thanks.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 07:42   #17

Boat: Valiant 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Sprayed on insulation is a no good. ?...Do you think that is ok, spary anywhere is bad?

Thank you for taking the time to respond!!! Very good info and advice.
I cannot say that it is no good 100% of the time. There will always be an example somewhere, where I can be proved wrong.

But on the balance of probabilities, avoid a hull with sprayed on foam. The reason I say this is that you cannot check the hull to see if any rust is occurring and you cannot see the quality of the build if 75% of the interior of the hull is buried under foam.

If you can check the hull periodically, you can remove and repair surface rust really easily. And you can also stop the cause of the rust.. A leak and/or an accumulation of water for whatever reason.

Don't be spooked by steel - it's as good a boat building material as anything else. It has its problems and issues, same as every other material. There is no single perfect boatbuilding material....except maybe for Copper-Nickel.

Your best bet is to employ a reputed steel boatbuilder to survey the hull to ensure its been built and finished to a good standard, and to offer a measured opinion on the issue sprayed on insulation.
Old 23-03-2013, 07:52   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

Isn't there cathodic protection units that you can get to protect a steel boat?
Old 23-03-2013, 19:45   #19

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Isn't there cathodic protection units that you can get to protect a steel boat?
If that worked, why not then do that for cars?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:33   #20

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As long as the insulation is down to the water line it great ! but not below the waterline as the condensation from the different temps ya need for the water to go to the bilge, not be behind the insulation, cus then ya got a place for rust to start ya can't see! We did it that way on our colvin when we bilt her ! we just eyeballed the bilge area every once in a while, and fix it when they showed up, never a problem for us! We bilt her in 1970 launched in early 1971. Shes still sailing ! But she was bilt of Core 10 steel which is much better on rust then mild steel ! Steel is work to keep right, but if bilt right it is less work then a wooden boat ! Just my 2 cents
Old 23-03-2013, 22:02   #21

Quote:
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone would mind sharing their knowledge of steel boats. Specifically, I wanted to know about how many years it takes for rust to start to show on a brand new boat. - A couple of years or more like 5 or 10? or does it depend on how well it was built?

I am considering a boat that is about 10 years old and it is obvious that the owner has had some rust touch-ups here and there and wondering if this is typical of a boat this young.

Thanks.
Take a look at this one.

http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/boats.../United-States
jrambo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 22:50   #22

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
As long as the insulation is down to the water line it great ! but not below the waterline as the condensation from the different temps ya need for the water to go to the bilge, not be behind the insulation, cus then ya got a place for rust to start ya can't see! ...
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 23:32   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Is rust care/maintenance something that can be taken care of as needed while at your dock on weekends, let's say, or would you have to bring the boat to a yard every time that you you want to do some rust work? Just talking small areas here and there that pop up.
I have built a few steel boats and repaired a few. Believe me...if you plan on weekends at a boat chasing rust....where is the enjoyment in that? There is a reason 99% of boats are FG. People like the ease of maintenance towards them. Save your money and by the best quality smallest size you can live with boat.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 14:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
As long as the insulation is down to the water line it great ! but not below the waterline as the condensation from the different temps ya need for the water to go to the bilge, not be behind the insulation, cus then ya got a place for rust to start ya can't see! We did it that way on our colvin when we bilt her ! we just eyeballed the bilge area every once in a while, and fix it when they showed up, never a problem for us! We bilt her in 1970 launched in early 1971. Shes still sailing ! But she was bilt of Core 10 steel which is much better on rust then mild steel ! Steel is work to keep right, but if bilt right it is less work then a wooden boat ! Just my 2 cents
Thanks.
I see. The insulation is ok, but keep it above the waterline.
What about rust behind areas that you can't see? Like behind wall paneling in the salon and cabins? Does it not form there because those areas are always dry? Also does condensation not get there because the wall panel keeps the moist air from getting behind there???
Old 24-03-2013, 14:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have built a few steel boats and repaired a few. Believe me...if you plan on weekends at a boat chasing rust....where is the enjoyment in that? There is a reason 99% of boats are FG. People like the ease of maintenance towards them. Save your money and by the best quality smallest size you can live with boat.
Very good point.
I wish some of the boats that I am drawn to were FG. I don't know why all of my favorites are steel.
Old 24-03-2013, 17:50   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We have two steel boats. Never had a glass or wooden

To get a very practical base line reference guide, start here....

Metal boat maintenance-A do it yourself guide

From there there are all kinds of variations and opinions.

Also there are various threads here on CF where this topic has been worked over.

You have gotten much good advice concerning the origional build quality and access.

It is very hard to find a good metal boat surveyor. I feel you have to thoroughly educate yourself to make the decision.

Depending upon the designer or builder they may be a good source of info. Ted Brewer consults for a very reasonable fee, or did. I think Bruce Roberts may do the same, not sure.

It would be helpful if you could tell us more about the sepecific boat. If you are not comfortable posting details, then maybe you can PM. I've got two steelies, damn sure don't need three.

Good luck.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 19:01   #27

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

You can take a look on Ebay right now at a 54' steel sailboat hull that has been somewhat neglected since it's build in 1975. It's still floating, but I personally would not want to take on the project at this point.
Old 24-03-2013, 19:16   #28

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Once you find the right boat, just set up a schedule for inspection. Divide boat up in segments and inspect each segment on a revolving schedule between haul outs or major maintenance. You should do this anyway regardless of type of hull material to catch anything going awry. If anything is found it can be touched up and monitored until next haul.
Old 24-03-2013, 19:27   #29

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
I have had GRP, alloy, steel. All have problems. Steel is a very predictable task if it is well done in the first instance.

I have another 66' steel yacht approaching the water which has been done perfectly and should require little more than touch ups. Just to make life interesting I have recently acquired a second 60' steel project boat of same design (pic attached). Looks crap on first viewing BUT built by the same craftsman and I know is fundamentally sound despite being 40 years old. I guess that states my support for steel!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-178747775.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	57808   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2067882109.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	57809  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4080517712.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	57810  
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 19:41   #30

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well so far you have been shown a couple of great Fiberglass boats ! But it seems they are not shippy enough for you! You seem to be stuck with those look alike so called Sea Boats!That mostly are bilt with steel! if your gonna buy steel you are gonna have rust period! no way around it !!! if maybe you might listen to some of the folks on here, you might find a boat !! Some of us have had and cruised steel boats and have told you they require constant maintaince. My Lady and I were capable of doing the work needed to keep our steel vessel afloat and looking fair to middlin. If you are going to have full time crew, than maybe a steel boat would work for you ! but if not maybe ya need to go back to looking at Glass boats !! just my idea on your questions.