Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2012, 08:42   #1

Boat: Labelle 43
Starting Over need advice

My wife and I had planned to cruise caribbean in the next five years and semi retire. We are in our late forties. My wife died 8 months ago from massive stroke. After a lot of sole searching I decided continue the plan but instead of sail boat I decided on a trawler. So today I sitting on my 1984 Marine Trader
in Boston. I would like to move her to Jacksonville Fl and make that my home port. I would appreciate any advice or recommendation on delivery captains
(I would like to accompany on the delivery and learn). I am not new to boating
just most of my experience is sailing mountain lakes in Colorado. If any one has a recommendations on marinas and insurance or anything would be greatly
appreciated. Thank You
Me and the dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 08:57   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Starting Over need advice

My condolences on your loss, my kudos on your decision to carry on with your plans! I admire and respect your decision.

I can't offer you any of the info that you are seeking, I am still fairly new to sailing and so far, have been limited to the Great Lakes.

Good luck in attaining your goal, you will receive tons of help here on this forum.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 09:36   #3

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Welcome aboard and sorry for your loss as well. This is a great place to pick up information. The forum folks seem to be better at answering specific questions and yours are pretty broad. Try to narrow it down a bit for better results. Try searching the archives as well. There was a recent thread on delivery captains. Also lots of threads on insurance and marinas.

I applaud your decision to carry on. I've thought about what I would do in similar circumstances. I'd like to think that I would do the same as you. We've run into single handers along the way. Most cruising folks are very sociable and I'm sure that you'll find no trouble in meeting folks where ever you end up.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 09:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Very sorry for your loss but glad to see you are carrying on.

Where to stay in Jacksonville depends on whether you want to stay right in town, closer to the beach, closer to the ICW, cheaper slip, liveaboard community, etc.

There have been a lot of cheap slips advertised at Harbourtown. Check craigslist Jacksonville and search for "slip" in the boat category and you will find several. They are by Atlantic Blvd at the ICW a few miles east of downtown Jax. Know nothing about the place.

You can also find slips up the St Johns River. With a trawler you can easily make it under the Shands Bridge at Green Cove Springs up to Palatka and further. A couple of marinas up that far. Much quieter, fresh water river and not expensive.

If you want to stay closer to the ocean St Augustine also has some nice spots.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 10:04   #5

Thanks for suggestion, I found one on a site called Lambs? they got some good reviews Not sure where in Jacksonville maybe closer to downtown only because I will be flying in.
Old 24-09-2012, 10:11   #6

For me part of the fun was doing the trip myself. If you have boating experience You can do it without a captain .I was fearful on my first icw trip but found it was really no big deal. Get the chart books and guides, a good gps and depth finder Maybe you have friends that can accompany you for all or part of the trip On one trip south , I found a great crew right here on cruisers forum
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 10:13   #7

By the way, you need captain bobs anchor and marina guides
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 10:59   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and the dogs View Post
Thanks for suggestion, I found one on a site called Lambs? they got some good reviews Not sure where in Jacksonville maybe closer to downtown only because I will be flying in.
Lambs is west of Jacksonville, there are quite a few marinas along this stretch. If you like informality and lots of cruisers Green Cove Springs is the spot but you'll have to take a mooring there. The docks are shot. All the marinas are a ways from the airport which is on the other side of Jacksonville, closer to I95.

If you are not really set on Jacksonville there are lots of more convenient spots along the ICW. Vero Beach is nice with a free bus service and a well run city marina. Fly into West Palm. Maybe for your first trip keep going south in FL until you find a spot you like. Jacksonville is a bit out of the way and a hard slog up the St. Johns River.
Old 24-09-2012, 12:43   #9

Not totally set on anything or any where I just know that I want to go south for now. I have until the end of Oct before I must decide wether to stay in boston till spring or head south.
Old 24-09-2012, 12:51   #10

I do 20 years of boating experience but most on lakes , but you have giving something to think about . Maybe I could hire a captain to help me go part of the way and get comfortable with this boat and gain some experience then go the rest solo. Now you got my mind really working Thanks
Old 24-09-2012, 13:03   #11

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

My advice would be to get a captain to help you bring it down to southern Virginia. First, it's about to start getting cold up there! Second, once you get down to Hampton, you can run in mostly protected water to Florida. That should make it easier to single hand and get comfortable with the boat. There are plenty of good inlets from NC down to FL so that if you get good weather you can run outside and hop back in to anchor, otherwise take your time and enjoy the ride down the ditch.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 19:34   #12

Boat: 43' Hatteras CPMY

Flying to Falmouth Mass this Thursday to bring a boat back to Jacksonville... I stayed at Cedar Point Marina for 11 years before moving here to Fernandina Beach a year ago..
You have Lambs, Cedar Point and Huckins on the Ortega River on the west side of the RR tracks, Ortega Landing now has new management and is a very nice place, along with Sadler Point (not quite as nice) on the east side of the tracks.
Ortega River is a nice place to stay, your in walking distance to everything you need and only 30 mins from downtown by boat...
A trip up the St Johns River is a super trip and you can make it to Sanford if you want to go that far...
Send me an email if you need a captain...
jaxfishgyd is offline   Reply With Quote