Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 04:35   #1

Start up and shut down procedures cabin cruiser

My father recently purchased a 2015 four Winn’s vista v335. We love the boat and he’s been kind enough to allow me to use it on occasion. The latest thing we’ve been debating is how to properly leave the boat when shutting down from an afternoon cruise. We know all the general stuff like hosing down, cleaning up, lower drives, power down electronics, etc. but the question for the forum is how do you leave the electric panel? I.e connect to shore power and shut down the main? Connect to shore power and turn off batteries and main? Connect to shore power, turn off batteries and turn off whatever 12v circuits like water pump and toilet you might have turned on? There is no good documentation in the owners manual. Sorry for the lengthy post but trying to learn the basics! Going to use this to create a proper checklist he and I can both follow and not argue over. Thank you!
cocopuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:41   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Start up and shut down procedures cabin cruiser

A lot of this answer will depend on how your boat was wired up. If Four Winns is still around, I would ask them.

On my boat the "electrical end of the day" is simply turning the main battery switch to "off" to ensure there are no phantom loads on the battery. However my boat is wired so that the bilge pumps and VHF are wired directly to the main house bank so that no one can endanger the boat by turning the battery switch off. (bilge will always pump and you can always make an emergency VHF call)

You need to know if turning the battery switch(s) off disables the bilge pumps before including that as part of your end of day routine.

Part of my end of day when leaving the boat is to close ALL seacocks except for the cockpit scuppers. This ensures me that any leak is unlikely due to a below the waterline issue. and at the same time "excercises" the seacocks regularly to prevent them from seizing in any one position.

I do connect my shore power as soon as the engine is stopped and the boat is secured to the dock.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:03   #3

Boat: Pearson 303

If there's a switch on the 110v for mains and the charger, make sure that's left on so it'll charge.
I'm same as pcmm, everything off and battery off for 12v circuit, 110v main and "110v accessories" (which is my battery charger) on.
All depends on your wiring. Turn everything off and see if your bilge pump works, mine is directly to the battery with a fuse, they all have some way to test operation on the pump itself. You can test the battery charger being on by seeing occasional higher voltage.
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:53   #4

Boat: Islander 36

I have a sailboat, usually in a slip at the marina.

I turn off all 12vdc except fridge and bilge pump; I leave on all 120vac except the 120vac water heater.

This basically leaves on the fridge, bilge pump and AC outlets, battery charger, everything else off.
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:22   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

Also turn off the water pressure pump and de-pressurise the system(just open a tap until the water flow stops). Some water systems have a pressure accumulator and you shorten it's life by leaving it pressurised.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:39   #6

Boat: Gulf 32

For us it's:
* battery switch to "All"
* 120v main "on"
* battery charger "on"

That makes it so if the bilge pump starts to run, and draws on the battery, the battery charger (off shore power) can try to keep up with it.

Everything else is off, specifically:
* water pump (if there's a leak it might drain regardless, but if there's pressure it will drain for sure and burn out the pump while you're not there)

* water heater
* 120v outlets
* all instruments (autopilot, depth etc)
Old 12-07-2018, 04:23   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuffs View Post
My father recently purchased a 2015 four Winn’s vista v335. We love the boat and he’s been kind enough to allow me to use it on occasion. The latest thing we’ve been debating is how to properly leave the boat when shutting down from an afternoon cruise. We know all the general stuff like hosing down, cleaning up, lower drives, power down electronics, etc. but the question for the forum is how do you leave the electric panel? I.e connect to shore power and shut down the main? Connect to shore power and turn off batteries and main? Connect to shore power, turn off batteries and turn off whatever 12v circuits like water pump and toilet you might have turned on? There is no good documentation in the owners manual. Sorry for the lengthy post but trying to learn the basics! Going to use this to create a proper checklist he and I can both follow and not argue over. Thank you!

Depends, but I assume since you ask about remaining connected to shorepower... that the boat is in a wet slip?

FWIW, in our wet slip, connected to shorepower.... we leave main shorepower breakers and battery switches on, AC and DC mains on (AC fridges, battery chargers, and outlets; DC CO detectors and shower sump, etc.), and so forth. Aircon thermostats set to high/continuous fan in summer.

The only thing we turn off when we leave the boat for a while is the AC water heater and the DC freshwater pump, and DC electric toilet.

Shorewater never left connected and unattended.

Not a recommendation; just an observation, and YMMV.

-Chris
Old 12-07-2018, 07:40   #8

Boat: bruce roberts mauritius 44

My prior boat caught fire and burned to a total loss while at the dock hooked up to shore power with everything on the 12v panel turned off. The fire was started somewhere between the shore power and the battery charger. So now I disconnect the shore power too and just have a solar panel that keeps the battery topped up.
Aguabago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:00   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Some close seacocks, others don't. If you do make sure the owner knows that otherwise they might burn out impeller before they figure it out.
Some clean raw water filter but make sure it's sealed correctly if you do that.
Batteries are important to keep charged otherwise they can be damaged if left too long.
Plus what is said above.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:14   #10

Many power boats are wired with the bilge pump directly to the battery, not through the battery switch, so you need to know that. But generally, I would have:
-battery switch on
-charger on
-shore power connected.
-Main panel switch off, unless that stops the bilge pump. Then most accessories turned off and BP switch on.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 10:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
Some close seacocks, others don't. If you do make sure the owner knows that otherwise they might burn out impeller before they figure it out.
Some clean raw water filter but make sure it's sealed correctly if you do that.
Batteries are important to keep charged otherwise they can be damaged if left too long.
Plus what is said above.
I have tags that I hang on the throttles or the valves depending on if they're open or closed. It helps me remember to open them since I've forgotten them before. I also had neighbor's boat almost sink from leaky hose connected to a seacock so I prefer them closed when not in use. The tags are remove before flight tags available from places like aircraft spruce etc.

I know you're concerned about shutting it down and you may know it already. But I'm going to mention it just in case. A lot of newer boaters underestimate the importance of running the blowers prior to starting the engines.I've seen 3 boats go up in flames over the years that could've been prevented. So I always pop a hatch if there isn't a alarm and give it a sniff and run the blowers prior to starting. Its cheap insurance against a fire.
Almost-There is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, cruise, cruiser