Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2008, 19:39   #1

SportFish Cruisers

Hello Cruisers: 1st post and I am hoping to join your ranks.
I am considering a change of lifestyle and investing in Tour Operating for SportFishing, Day Cruises and Special Events with a 2000 Luxury 37' Tiara Motor Yacht, fully equipped with safety in mind, and is compliant to US Safety standards with Liferaft, Jackets, VHS, Radar, GPS. Twin Caterpillar 3204 engines cruise at 23 knots with a top speed of 28 knots ! Fridge / Cooler / Microwave / Lounge / Cabins / A/C / Shower / WC / Sound / DVD.
I would like to hear comments about the boat mfg, its reputation, member experiences with this model format, seaworthiness because I will tend to cruise from St. Maartin mostly but may want to cruise through to Florida at some point. I'd appreciate hearing from any members in this type of business as well, whether in USA, DR & St.Maartin, etc. Could any members provide a reference to Surveyors in St. Maartin through a PM please? I am planning a trip out for an inspection, etc and need to work with a surveyor. I have always had a boat =/- than 20' fishing boats for inland waters and this will be my first SportFish Cruiser so I'm open to any advice.
This forum is very interesting, many educational posts, an excellant resource. Thank you very much! Ben
SportFishCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 20:20   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Welcome aboard Ben

Sound's incredibly thirsty

Dave
Old 17-07-2008, 05:41   #3
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Try browsing through the threads in http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f67/. There are several threads on chartering.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Try browsing through the threads in http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f67/. There are several threads on chartering.
-dan
Thanks Dan, as it turned out, I spent all of last night reading this part of the forum, 3 hrs worth! In particular, the thread entitled 'boat based business' was especially interesting and has given me ideas to help realize my dream is achievable. Thanks again!
Old 17-07-2008, 12:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Welcome aboard Ben
Sound's incredibly thirsty
Dave
Thanks for the welcome aboard Dave!
Funny thing that, but, boats without sails do tend to be a little more thirsty..... like me with beer!
Old 17-07-2008, 12:47   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Ben.

A friend and neighbor of mine when I lived in Virginia had a Tiara 37 Open. We'd go out fishing on the Chesapeake Bay in it. Nice boat! I'm no expert on power yachts, but it seemed to be a quality build, it handled the Chesapeake chop well, and was comfortable for 4-6 people on an all day fishing trip. He and his wife overnighted on it regularly, sometimes with another couple on board. He liked it so much that he sold it...and bought a Tiara 52 Express.

I don't know any surveyors on St. Maarten, but have used on on Antigua who I could recommend, if that would be any help. He was very good at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiara 37 Open.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	4372  
Old 17-07-2008, 17:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Hi, Ben.
A friend and neighbor of mine when I lived in Virginia had a Tiara 37 Open. We'd go out fishing on the Chesapeake Bay in it. Nice boat! I'm no expert on power yachts, but it seemed to be a quality build, it handled the Chesapeake chop well, and was comfortable for 4-6 people on an all day fishing trip. He and his wife overnighted on it regularly, sometimes with another couple on board. He liked it so much that he sold it...and bought a Tiara 52 Express.
I don't know any surveyors on St. Maarten, but have used on on Antigua who I could recommend, if that would be any help. He was very good at it.
Wow, isn't that a beautiful looking boat!! Nice pic Hud, it looks just like the one I am studying but add a Tuna tower . Thanks for providing your experiences onboard, that's great news. All my research shows this as a quality boat right up there with Harrattas. I fished Chesapeake Bay years ago with friends, nice water; I caught many 32" striper bass, 33" was the keeper limit and I caught 2 of those, good eating! I would actually like that reference in Antigua if you would PM it to me please. Any approx price for what your friend sold it for? If you could PM me that too, just for a reference point, I'd appreciate it (and push my luck asking its year and when sold).
Old 21-07-2008, 04:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Tiaras are generally highly respected (premium) express cruisers.
I’ve seen several with Marlin Towers; but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the higher Tuna tower on the smaller Tiaras.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 08:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Tiaras are generally highly respected (premium) express cruisers.
I’ve seen several with Marlin Towers; but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the higher Tuna tower on the smaller Tiaras.
You are correct. I just learned the differences myself. It is a Marlin Tower and not a Tuna Tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishing%20charters%20Tiara%2037%20luxury.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	4880  
Old 27-04-2009, 08:33   #10

We delivered a Tiara 3900 sportfish from Miami to Panama last month. We were impressed with the quality.

Good luck,
Barry
CaptBarry is offline   Reply With Quote