Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 11:04   #16

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Spending the night on the ocean

I plan to equip the boat with a good chart plotter, AIS and fish finder...lol. Plus anything else that may be needed like the alarm of I start dragging.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 11:53   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

[QUOTE=Comix Bay;2102809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If I am stationary with coast guard approve anchor lites on all night to me that should be enough.

You gotta be joking, not even in the day light hours is it safe out on the water. You have to be aware of your surroundings, and keep a watch out, you have drunks, other boats, other ships and very large mammals to contend with. Not everyone has a complete array of electronics on board. And even those that do, some don't watch them. Look up and read (about 5-10 yrs ago) when a Chilean Navy submarine rammed and sank a sailboat in the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Never stopped, "Not US" they claimed!
May have been a diesel boat sold to Chile years ago. The US boats can probable spot a floating beer can when submerged.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 12:23   #18

Boat: 31 Contender

Tuffr please do yourself a favor and heed what A64Pilot said about cuddy cabins, fishing boats and FL. I'd go so far as to say cuddy cabins, fishing boats and ANY location. IMHO Cuddys are for first time fish boat buyers who do not know better. If you're fishing overnight w/ buddies on a center console simply get yourself a pair of oversized marine bean bags. Those who can't continue to fish b/c they're tired can catch a few hours on the bags. Those fishing stand watch. When you're done w/ the bags they get bungied to the TTop and you're back to 360 degree fishability. When it comes time to run to the Bahamas to chase hoo & yellowfin, put a pair of life jackets on two of your crew, have them sleep on the bags on deck behind the leaning post as you're running. Win, win and win.
Bird Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 12:28   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I still have two of these, in blue and white. Teardrop style worked well for us

E~SeaRider, Highest Quality Marine Bean Bags for Boats

Oh, and one of these for behind the T-top, it really saved our skin

http://www.t-topextender.com/

and this to hold tanks in, they were great and folded out of the way, and get a good Dive-N-Dog ladder for climbing back aboard too

http://www.ecpdb.com/rollcontrol.htm
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 12:32   #20

Too funny A64 - I have two EZ Riders as well - mine are all white.
Old 21-04-2016, 12:33   #21

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Bird Dog - an old man that has fished the ocean as a young man said the same thing. I plan to talk to him in a few days. But until then can you enlighten me as to a cuddy cabin boat downside. I love to spend nights on the small cuddy cabin 19' in-land lake boat that I had.

Again...I am trying to understand. Thanks

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 12:33   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

From Wiki...

Quote:
On 9 February 2001, while conducting an emergency main ballast tank blow off the coast of Oahu while hosting several civilian "distinguished visitors", mainly donors to the Battleship Missouri Memorial, the Greeneville struck the 191-foot (58 m) Japanese fishery high school training ship Ehime Maru (えひめ丸), causing the fishing boat to sink in less than ten minutes with the death of nine crew members, including four high school students.[3] The commander of the Greeneville, Commander Scott Waddle, accepted full responsibility for the incident. However, after he faced a court of inquiry, it was decided a full court-martial would be unnecessary and Commander Waddle's request to retire was approved for 1 October 2001 with an honorable discharge.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 12:38   #23

Boat: Baltic 52

If you anchor, then lights and a good watch. Offshore, a sea anchor to keep the boat headed up into the swell and a good watch. Decent sea anchor is always a good investment, and you'll find yourself using more than you expected.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 12:41   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I plan to equip the boat with a good chart plotter, AIS and fish finder...lol. Plus anything else that may be needed like the alarm of I start dragging.

Add a good radar it's a proximity detector alarm.

AIS is required for 65' and IIRC.

But really that's NOT the issue. The issue is other boaters pure and simple.

Look, I've nearly run into a shrimper during the middle of the day with perfect visibility and screaming along at 6 knots. This was transiting from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia, not exactly a busy route.

Any one of us who has spent some time on the water can tell you tales of all the stupid idiotic things we have seen folks do, not to mention what we have done ourselves. Lest you think your safe sitting at the Tiki Bar sucking a Corona, think again....

Boat captain charged after hitting restaurant
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 12:48   #25

Tuffr - a cuddy cabin = the punishment sweat box from a WWII concentration camp in FL in particular. Even in colder climates they simply serve as a locker. No one ever uses the cuddy over time other than for collecting stuff that should be in a locker. It becomes a moldy collection area that takes up valuable fishing space. A64 is 100% correct. If you're looking for a fish wagon to sleep on you need a real sportfish and you're probably looking at something 50 feet or more to successfully scratch that itch. The sporty needs a generator + AC. It is truly a different class of boat than what you're thinking about. Nothing beats a center console for fishing, particularly in FL. Treat yourself and go fishing on a CC in FL and then do the same on a boat w/ the cuddy. You'll answer your own Q immediately. If you're truly brave go ahead and catch a 2 hour nap in the cuddy while you're out. When you wake up soaked it won't be because you were mistaken for a urinal in a 3d world prison - it will just feel that way. Best of luck
Old 21-04-2016, 13:01   #26

The cuddy is a great place to store stuff and have a porta potty. I would rather have a 5gal. bucket, with a garbage bag in it, on deck if not having a real head.
Old 21-04-2016, 13:01   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Around here, less than 1% of boats have AIS...just the ferries and CG boats.

Around here, at least 50% of boaters are drunk...the other 50% are getting drunk, but not drunk yet. Apparently, drinking is what you do on boats.
Reminded me of something a friend, who was a first mate on a freighter, told me years ago. He rarely saw the captain out of his cabin and if he did he was not sober. It was his opinion this was very common. I don't mean to indict all crew of freighters and tankers, but as a result now I don't assume anything about what is going on on the bridge of an approaching ship. AIS at least gives one more possible alarm to go off on the bridge to make someone take a look!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 13:14   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
How did we survive 100 years ago :-)
We didn't, we are flapping our wings up in the clouds looking down on the new kids on the blockand wondering WTF!
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 13:23   #29

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
If I am stationary with coast guard approve anchor lites on all night to me that should be enough.
Quote:
How do you guys put up with the idiots?
A few years ago in my area, a tanker collided with a trawler in full daylight because the officer of the watch thought he was the stand-on vessel: he could not see clearly the day marks on the trawler. Both fishermen were eating in the crew quarters and not keeping watch.

Two years ago, I avoided being rammed in a channel at night by a yacht under power and autopilot that was overtaking me without anybody at the helm. I had to alter course sharply when it became obvious the other yacht would not move.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 13:45   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Reminded me of something a friend, who was a first mate on a freighter, told me years ago. He rarely saw the captain out of his cabin and if he did he was not sober. It was his opinion this was very common. I don't mean to indict all crew of freighters and tankers, but as a result now I don't assume anything about what is going on on the bridge of an approaching ship. AIS at least gives one more possible alarm to go off on the bridge to make someone take a look!
Going to college I worked summers on a tug, as oiler. The first mate and engineer were to only thing keeping us afloat. The Captain did his best to sink Staten Island and Manhattan. But the OP isn't speaking of that environment.

The only thing I might be concerned about is a crab/lobster boat in a torrential rain or fog at O-dark thirty in the AM in the Keys. Commercial fisherman bust their nuts making a living.