Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2014, 15:08   #1
Marine Service Provider

SPEED DOCKING a twin Engine 37 footer

Someone asked,,, "how fast can you leave the slip and come back to the dock." 45 seconds was the answer apparently.

Just having fun practicing - not one and no boats were endangered . Yes I know it wasn't windy but we were having fun in FFWD.
Boatnuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 04:46   #2

Re: SPEED DOCKING a twin Engine 37 footer

You seem pretty handy at that whole docking business. 12 months into 'big boat' ownership and I'm still not relaxed about docking. Don;t suppose you could do an instructional vid on how to 'walk' a twin sideways?
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 17:07   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
You seem pretty handy at that whole docking business. 12 months into 'big boat' ownership and I'm still not relaxed about docking. Don;t suppose you could do an instructional vid on how to 'walk' a twin sideways?
I am working on doing a series of different instructional vids... May even get a start tomorrow. I'm fortunate that I get to drive boats almost every day and love teaching folks as a perk while selling boats.

what kind of boat do you have? Knowing that will help with which type of controls I'm using///

Thanks for reaching out.

Kevin
815-403-8718
Boatnuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 18:53   #4

Captain Ron does it faster, but not as smoothly.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 21:44   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Piece of cake if your wheels turn inboard, iow the port prop is right hand and the starboard prop is left hand. If they turn outboard it might still be possible or it might not, depending on wheel size and pitch, hull, and rudder.

Let's say you are docking starboard side to. You are parallel to your dock, a boat length off. You don't want to go forward or aft, just sideways to starboard.

Start with your rudders hard left. Come ahead on the port shaft and astern on the starboard shaft at the same time. Start at half throttle and reduce if necessary. You may need more throttle on the reversed starboard screw to keep her from inching ahead, depending on your props. Don't be afraid of your throttles in this maneuver. It requires a bit of power.

Why it works... The port screw is ahead, pushing water over the port rudder, thrusting the stern to starboard. The starboard screw is backing, compensating for the ahead thrust of the port, and at the same time pivoting the bow to starboard so that both bow and stern are moving to starboard and the boat is not moving fore or aft. The right hand port screw is turning ahead so it is also helping the boat crab to starboard. The starboard prop, being left hand, in reverse is turning to the right, clockwise, so it, too, is helping to crab the boat to starboard. Setting up the props to turn outward makes the boat pivot more easily, but it makes this maneuver more difficult and on some boats impossible.

Obviously you will have to constantly adjust throttles and rudders to have the desired outcome but hard rudder to the opposite side you wish to go, and at least half throttle on both engines and the engine toward the desired direction of travel reversed, is a good starting point. Practice this around some derelict pilings before trying this in a crowded marina. With so many things going on at once it is common for a newbie at this to freeze up in a moment of indecision.

On crew boats and supply or utility boats in the oil patch, this maneuver is done routinely. The first time you see it done you will swear the guy MUST have a bow thruster. With a new guy doing this for the first time, you might see why they got all those tires all around the boat. You might not get it right the first time but as with all other close quarters maneuvering, practice helps.

Before you try this, do it on paper. Draw your boat and the props and rudders. Visualize. See in your mind how it works. Bow falling off? What would happen if you reduce rudder? Bow going in before the stern? What way to turn the wheel? Wrestle with it in your head so you got a plan.
Old 26-10-2014, 01:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnuck1 View Post
I am working on doing a series of different instructional vids... May even get a start tomorrow. I'm fortunate that I get to drive boats almost every day and love teaching folks as a perk while selling boats.

what kind of boat do you have? Knowing that will help with which type of controls I'm using///

Thanks for reaching out.

Kevin
815-403-8718

I look forward to seeing them. My boat is a 1988 35' Riviera flybridge with twin volvo tamd41's on shafts.
Old 26-10-2014, 01:39   #7

Growlymonster - thanks for that, I'll go back and re-read it later tonight when I'm not in the middle of cooking dinner.
Old 13-01-2015, 11:43   #8

Quote:
There a couple of ways to do it. Play around. The key is- wheel hard over away from the dock.
Next you will be working your throttles. It's interactive- not a set and forget operation. You can split the engines away from the dock until the boats attitude starts to shift, then a quick split the opposite way to check the swing then back to your reverse split.
Or, you can do the exact same thing with your outboard engine only. Pump it backwards and forwards controlling it will be apparent how to control the attitude while you're doing it.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 16:51   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

Here's how it's done!

Old 13-01-2015, 16:53   #10

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Nice description GrowleyMonster.

An easy way to practice this manoeuver is while tied up at the dock. Loosen the mooring lines so there is plenty of slack, allowing the boat room to move but not crunch into something.

Note to self... I should practice this more for when I need it, and find out the maximum wind strength I can manoeuver against.
Old 18-01-2015, 21:23   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Many boats have the two props turning outward, and as I stated in my last post, this is a game changer. The normal crabbing technique often won't work at all, and as FamilyVan says, you just gotta try stuff and see what works. It probably won't be as elegant, but it's seamanship, not showmanship. If you can wiggle it in bow and stern, fine.

If that just doesn't work for you, then it's "parallel parking" time. Go in at an angle bow first (my usual preference) or stern first. ("Crewboat style"). Either way, you steer with little bumps of the clutches. If stern first, when nearly in contact with the dock, pass a stern line. Come ahead against the stern line to bring the bow in. Back up and take in the slack as needed. If you are by yourself, you will probably want to do it stern first. With a crew bow first is often preferable. Pass a spring line leading aft, and come ahead against it with the rudder hard over to kick the stern in. Crew should also have fenders and boathooks or deck brushes close at hand, if you are in a tight spot.

Most large twin screws these days have bow thrusters, making crabbing a no brainer no matter which way the props are set up. And I gotta say, I do love docking a boat with a bow thruster. The only problem with that is sometimes a newbie can be overwhelmed under pressure, with so busy of a control console. So initially it may be a good idea to just have the bow thruster standing by, and concentrate on just the controls for the port and starboard shafts, and the rudders, and only actually use the thruster when necessary until the operator is comfortable with docking/undocking.
Old 18-01-2015, 21:54   #12

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

There's little book called "Dockmanship" by David Owen Bell. Available at Abebooks.com.
Under $5.00.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 05:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnuck1 View Post
Someone asked,,, "how fast can you leave the slip and come back to the dock." 45 seconds was the answer apparently.

Just having fun practicing - not one and no boats were endangered . Yes I know it wasn't windy but we were having fun in FFWD.
This video is pretty slick.
robert. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:10   #14

Every boat is different. On my ACMY with big props but small rudders too much power just turned the boat. Then I learned to run at 800 RPMs and do the maneuver by trannys only. The same idea applies. The key is keeping the trannys mostly in neutral and just giving bursts of thrust using the rudder away from the dock but alternately thrusting with the gears to move the boat sideways without going forward or twisting the extra secret is prop walk. While the props will act on the rudders to push the stern toward the dock when shifted individually there is a momentary sideways push when shifting into gear. To use that just remember "stern away" . Doing things without lots of power gives you time to see what's happening and make corrections without getting into crisis mode. Leave that to the pros. I learned to make my heavy acmy dance without ever touching the throttles. Got many compliments from dockmasters about my boat handeling once I learned to remember"stern away". Slow boat with big rudders will have an easier time because they have more rudder effect.

In a sense this technique is like two single engines. Those familiar with singles may find it familiar.
BruM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking, engine