Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 20:11   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeck View Post
Great advice. Boat was listed at 82, i offered 67, broker said the seller wanted 77,5 but he felt he would take 73-74. My move. I requested maintenance records before I could increase my offer. Who ever speaks next loses?? i believe I'm the only one in the game at this time. Don't want to be bidding against myself but I like the boat and hate to lose it.

Boat is still in the yard and they are reinstalling electronics. A bit behind due to Sandy.
Again I am new to this but it seems a little backward to me to have to come up with a price before the survey???? What am I missing.
You can survey before making an offer but may lose the boat as you don't have a contract tying it down. Make an educated decision on your offer. If the survey shows any deficiencies you didn't know about then possibly remake a lower offer. The buyer doesn't have to agree to a lower offer after survey which may mean time and money out of your pocket.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:50   #17

Re: Soldboats.com

To help me understand the process after the survey, how many of you who purchased vessels were able to lower the price after the survey compared to just having items fixed. If so by what amount. If it is typical to reduce the price a few thousand, I could just offer his 73,5 then after the survey get the price down to 70 which would work for me.
stpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:57   #18

Quote:
To help me understand the process after the survey, how many of you who purchased vessels were able to lower the price after the survey compared to just having items fixed. If so by what amount. If it is typical to reduce the price a few thousand, I could just offer his 73,5 then after the survey get the price down to 70 which would work for me.
There is no guarantee that there will be sufficient survey finding to justify a lower price nor is the seller obligated to accommodate you in any event. In that case you will have wasted your survey money.

I can’t look it up for you without knowing what it is.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:40   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Don't go into this thinking you will nickel and dime the seller down to your price based on the survey. Once you've done the survey you are into this a grand or so. The seller knows this to. Make your offer based on what you are willing to pay for the boat in the condition you believe it is in. If the offer is accepted, or you can agree on a very slightly higher offer, then you have a signed sales agreement. It will most likely be lower than the bottom line of seller and higher than your expected top line by a little. Then pay for a survey. If the boat turns out to have issues that show up in the survey, you can evaulate these and decide what the best course is. If they are serious, maybe its time to walk away. If they are a list of items that survey says needs fixing then you will probably need to fix these to obtain insurance. In this case asking the seller to fix them or offer up a reasonable discount so you can fix them is expected. Don't expect to go after the seller for items that you should already be aware of with a basic buyers inspection. Make the offer subject to survey and seatrail. This gives you one more opportunity to negotiate or back out, shold you get cold feet once you sail and motor the boat.

Also, be cautious as to what you post here, as the seller may be lurking too.
Old 02-04-2013, 19:20   #20

Since I'm a new member i can't PM other members yet. I wonder if the price the boat sold for in 2010 can be looked up by Hull ID.
Old 02-04-2013, 19:21   #21

I did a search and found at that once I make 10 posts then I can PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 19:24   #22

Quote:
Since I'm a new member i can't PM other members yet. I wonder if the price the boat sold for in 2010 can be looked up by Hull ID.
There are no sales reported on soldboats.com in 2010 for that model.
Old 02-04-2013, 19:24   #23

I think Iam close to 10
Old 02-04-2013, 19:28   #24

I guess soldboats doesn't have all sales?
Old 02-04-2013, 19:45   #25

Sold boats should have all the boats sold by a broker but not private sails
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Sold boats should have all the boats sold by a broker but not private sails
No private sales and not all brokers participate.
Old 02-04-2013, 19:57   #27

That would explain it. Is it used more in different regions?
Old 02-04-2013, 19:59   #28

Quote:
That would explain it. Is it used more in different regions?
Don't know.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17   #29

Quote:
I bought my first boat in the fall. We agreed on price subject to survey. The survey showed some minor items that didn't need immediate fixing but were unknown to me (and to the owner as well - so he claimed). I will do most of the work myself, so we negotiated the price down ~10% to close the deal.
muggles11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 18:35   #30

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

A boat is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

kind regards,