Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2019, 08:27   #31

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Smallest pocket cruiser with marine head

Are you sure a self-contained porta-potty doesn't qualify? Like Lake Effect has said - a small trailerable sailboat, with a cabin stocked with essentials, gets you out in the very same wind, sun and spray as the 100k boats - but at about 96k less cost. A Catalina 22 would also be a good choice. Good luck - and if you decide to move up to a bigger boat, you'll also have the experience to really know what you want.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 10:02   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Are you sure a self-contained porta-potty doesn't qualify? Like Lake Effect has said - a small trailerable sailboat, with a cabin stocked with essentials, gets you out in the very same wind, sun and spray as the 100k boats - but at about 96k less cost. A Catalina 22 would also be a good choice. Good luck - and if you decide to move up to a bigger boat, you'll also have the experience to really know what you want.
I believe it was once the case that regular porta-potties were once frowned-upon, and that the only way they were acceptable to the Canadian government was if they were "Type 3 MSDs" which is a fancy way of saying "porta-pottie, fixed in position, with a vent line and an outlet piped to a deck pumpout point". Which was original equipment on our Sandpiper, and when replacing it, we chose another Type 3 unit.

(It's hilarious lining up with the 40 footers for the pumpout, and we're done in like 10 seconds . To make it worthwhile i usually fill it with water and pump out a few more times)

But looking around today, I've found a few references like this one that suggest that porta-potties are acceptable as 'temporary'. And to be honest, I've never heard of anyone being busted or fined for having just a regular porta-pottie. I've heard they don't like the straight bucket-type or 'bagged-p00p' heads.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 06:44   #33

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

We love our Rhodes 22 from General Boats in Edenton, NC. We often overnight in the Chesapeake. You can see them at the US Sailboat Show. Trailerable, very easy to sail, all sorts of neat features including in-mast furling, pop-top cabin roof, and a head with a door. In production by various builders since the '60s so they are out there but GB introduces new features every year - the newest ones have captains chairs on the transom and a link between the tiller and the outboard so you can steer the rudder and the motor with the tiller simultaneously for great maneuverability under power. Here's a review.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...TGF_OvV3300zFN

And here's a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cert Poptop 5-25-15.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	205709   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1471111187105 - Copy.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	205710  

edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 06:54   #34

Boat: Macgregor 26D

The MacGregor 19 had an inclosed Head. So does the Mac25, 26D,S,X and M.
I have a couple Mac26D's and a Siren 17. The Macs are nicer to cruse with. But the Siren is so easy to set up. 25 min from arrival and I'm pushing off. The Macs are more like an hour.
TI me the Mac19 looks like it's the smallest "cruising" sailboat that one can sit up strait in.
I'd be happy to trade one if my Mac26D's for a Mac19 and get rid of my Siren.
I do cruise for a week at a time with the Siren. I use double duty bags for #2 and a bucket for #1. I use thunder boxes when ever posable. (there dotted around Georgian Bay) the #1 bucket goes to shore each dinghy trip. The bags go to a municipal garbage.
Marty
finding41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 07:44   #35

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Our friends love their Rosborough.
Old 27-12-2019, 07:50   #36

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Doesn't the West Wight Potter 15 have a head? GF's little 20' Halman has a head though this isn't a common boat. She wants to sell it, BTW as we do not need three boats.

It isn't all that hard to install a head from scratch. A 5gal or 10gal tank, vent throughhull just below deck edge, pumpout fitting on deck, through hull below the waterline for bowl fill, seacock and isolation valve, a manual pump Jabsco head, a few hoses and clamps, misc wood and screws for mounting the throne, and you should be in the game for well under $500. As funds allow, build up a set of spare parts, especially the joker valve. Maybe even a complete pump unit. There are two sizes of bowl and seat. If you hope to actually use it, go for the larger one. The small one is almost biologically/physiologically impossible for a man of normal proportions to use gracefully.

The slickest DIY solution I ever saw was a setup with a 4gal removable tank, with cam-lock hose fittings and carrying bag made of multiple layers of sunbrella and nylon strapping. To empty, the hoses are disconnected and capped, and the tank fittings capped so the tank could be lifted out still in its bag and taken to a shoreside toilet or pumpout. Alternately the tank could be pumped out in place with a deck fitting. The removable tank eliminated the need to move the boat. A macerator would be a good addition to this system. I thought it was a very clever and practical system for a tiny boat and a single liveaboard.
Old 27-12-2019, 08:20   #37

I've owned two 26' pocket cruisers... an O'Day 26 and a Chrysler 26 (Herreshof designed) Both have "stand up" heads utilizing removable porta potties. Both boats could be trailered though mine lived at the dock year around. Both boats were a lot of fun, easy to maintain and great for the occasional weekend cruise, but very different in sailing qualities.

The O'day 26 was light and wide, roomy and responsive in light air. Less stable in rough water. A nice boat for bays and lakes but a chore to go windward in open water. Use a reefed main and the motor then.

The Chrysler 26 was a classic Herreshof wine glass hull. Heeled more than the O'Day but tracked like a train. I could set the sail trim, tie off the tiller, and let the boat sail itself indefinitely while I made tea below, or attended to other necessaries. I've never had a boat that would hold a course on its own like that.

My current boat is an Island Packet 27. (30' LOA) That' a whole different level of "pocket cruiser". It would take a book to list everything I like about it.

Cheers!
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkville View Post
I am looking to buy a small pocket cruiser type of boat to do some day cruising and occasionally staying on it overnight.

As I only have dinghy sailing experience before and new to driving and docking a powerboat, I like to start small for both ease of handling and maintenance.

In addition, my marina only allows overnight stay if the boat is equipped with a marine head and holding tank.

Looking through spec sheets on manufactuer websites, do not always give a clear indication. So I am here looking for advice on the smallest pocket cruiser with marine head.

many thanks in advance.
SRQsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 04:50   #38

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

"Pocket Cruiser" and "marine toilet and holding tank" are difficult to match together because of the small available space inside the boat and the size and complexity of a marine sanitation system. My marina, and some others I am familiar with, prohibit emptying a porta potty into the toilets in the marina because so many attempts resulted in spills onto the restroom floor.

The development of composting toilets, especially the C-Head, has allowed USCG approved toilets aboard these smaller boats. Composting toilets are pretty much accepted by marinas. The Nature's Head and Airhead are usually too big to fit into a small boat. If the C-Head is still too large to fit into the available space in the boat, a version of the "sawdust toilet" will certainly fit. The sawdust toilet is a 5 gallon contractor's bucket with some form of toilet seat. A discussion of the sawdust toilet in smaller boats is available at Sawdust toilet for small head spaces.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 17:49   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Sawdust toilet in a Baba 30
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Baba.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	205811  
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 08:31   #40

Boat: Taswell 49' All Season Pilothouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendan

My father has a very lightly used 1987 (first launched 1988) Pacific Seacraft Flicka with an interior head and a holding tank. He has it on a trailer in his backyard in a suburb of Philadelphia. This is a proper blue-water boat, but can be towed by a pick-up. As he now has impaired vision he would be open to offers for the boat, including trailer - and if desired a pickup truck to tow it. PM me if interested.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 08:52   #41

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Our 26-foot Bounty 257 had a Sealand Marine Traveler head. Porcelain bowl, holding tank built-in. Works well in a modest size cruiser like the C-Dory 25.

NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 15:08   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

I do not know if it is the smallest but it is very efficient. The Montgomery 15. Had a PortaPotty. Worked well for me cruising overnights. Sails like a dinghy but is very stable tough little pocket cruiser. Once in the 70's one was sailed from LA to Hawaii. 31 days.

Bunk to sleep two friends. Rig a tent over the Boom. You can use the cockpit as a living room and kitchen. Swing keel. Draws less than 2 feet.

Worth consideration based on your stated requirements.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	434C542F-9885-4869-A6C3-32224BB4A770_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views:	420
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	205870  
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 15:20   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

In Seattle and looking to Live aboard... That is a different problem.

You will need to first locate a marina that has space for you as a live aboard. It is no longer an automatic thing that you can buy a boat and move it into a marina than live aboard. Marina's now have limits on how many boat owners can live aboard their boats year round. You will need to read their marina rule book. Some require minimum size boats. Everett Marina set a minimum length of 30 feet for a live aboard boat. And there is a limited number of residents that can live aboard a boat. I think it is 4 per boat. More than that violates the policies and you will be evicted.

Some marina's, like Kingston have a waiting list. I have heard it is more than 5 years to get a slip and then you may not be able to live aboard based on their quota limiting the number of boats owners who may live aboard their boat.

Beyond the marine head you will need heat. Electric is expensive but often used.

Good luck.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 13:48   #44

Well, we're in the powered boats section of this forum and Yorkville indicates he wants to in Puget Sound (and environs, I assume.) So why aren't we referring to the pocket cruiser with an outboard built in Bellingham?

The C-Dory 25, as shown above, has a full head with your choice of standard marine or composting. It also has a full cabin, where you can get out of the weather, sleep in the V-berth and cook dinner in the galley. It cruises from 5 to 20 knts.

We've gone through a port-a-potty under the v-berth (Catalina 22,) a port-a-potty in a separate head (Catalina 25,) and a full marine head (Catalina 36.) So when we went to the power side, Judy declared the only firm requirement was a full marine head and the C-Dory 25 meets that. C-Dory has a smaller 22, but the port-a-potty is under the v-berth.

The factory is in Bellingham, so Yorkville can visit it. And the 25 fits on a trailer so Journey On has been from the Broughtons to the Great Lakes.

Boris

BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 06:15   #45

Boat: Albin 25

The Albin 25 might fit the bill. Here is one for sale with head, galley and 260W of solar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	With Dinghy.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	205965  
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, head, marine, marine head, pocket cruiser