Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-02-2011, 06:25   #31
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Singlehanding

Been solo sailing long distances for quite a few years and have only had one incident which happened in broad daylight when I was 4 miles offshore...
I was T-Boned by a yacht motorsailing at 5 - 6kts... I was ghosting at about 1kt..
All four crew were down below at the time...
I was aware of the vessel but had gone down below to prepare some food.. the last time I looked he was 1/2mile away and looked to be passing my stern towards Start Point due N while I was travelling E... what made the difference I'll never know... me losing what little OG speed I had due to the Tide.. or if they made an alteration by remote to compensate their drift due to tide.. but next thing I knew I was thrown over the cooker... not nice as I was nude at the time (Gorgeous sunny day).. dashed up to find I'd been struck just in front of my shrouds on my stbd side... he did a runner in reverse so I could not see the name on the stern...
The Insurance companies apportioned blame 50/50...
The fact is.. if a collision occurs in open waters the blame is 50/50 as both vessels failed to comply with COLREGS... if just one had complied the collision would not have occured... unless the ramming was deliberate.
PS; This was day 47 of a non-stop Carib/UK crossing.... my first

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 06:45   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Singlehanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireflow View Post
Thanks very much everyone.
That addresses my concerns. It can be done, with planning and care, and is not not recommended. Bash your details paint the picture very well as to how it should be done. I'll definitely check out the Nordhaven and Passagemaker websites for indivual logs. 10 hours or even 24 wouldn't be a problem, my thinking has been on much longer voyages such as Southern Africa to the Caribbean etc. No doubt a bit or arm twisting would get me at least one or two to come along. But when you got to go, you got to go.
Single-handing any cruising yacht is not dangerous or difficult if you do it correctly. I have single-handed a near 60ft sailing yacht for 10 years without problems including some seriously nasty stretches.
- - It all depends on how you set up the boat. A good (not Raymarine) autopilot, like the one's ocean fishing trawlers use can handle anything up to and including near hurricane conditions. So steering the boat is not a physical activity but a mental one. Good quality electronics substitute for your additional crew and normally do a much better job as they don't need to eat, sleep or poop.
- - Cruising speeds can be twice or more what a sailing yacht can do so passage times can be cut in half or more. I did a sailing passage of 24 hours in only 15 hours in a Nordic Tug - over night. In the comfortable, air conditioned cockpit/wheelhouse fatigue is slow to arise. Being outside in wind and spray can really do a number on you physically, comparatively.
- - But with power yachts in the ocean passages, stability is a major factor in how much stress your body endures. So be sure that on a monohull you have active stabilizers and on a cat something similar to minimize roll. Pitching is controlled by your cruising speed. Each power yacht has a "sweet speed" for each sea condition. Being able to set that speed minimizes pitch enormously. Although the ride is not as good as the Queen Mary, it is a damn sight better than a sailing monohull.
- - So pick your vessel carefully paying close attention to what it will do in the types of passages and seas you plan on traversing.

Old 24-02-2011, 06:53   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post

It happens that I have just read
'Thoughts, Tips, Techniques and Tactics for Singlehanded Sailing'
by Andrew Evans
http://www.sfbaysss.org/includes/click.php?id=1
mentioned recently in another thread. I would rate it excellent... but obviously no substitute for trying and learning the hard way...

Thanks for the link, some really useful info, and free
nigel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 09:50   #34
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
...I was aware of the vessel but had gone down below to prepare some food..
But boaty, what were you cooking? That's what makes all the difference!
Old 24-02-2011, 10:04   #35
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Singlehanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
But boaty, what were you cooking? That's what makes all the difference!
A real treat after 17days of Indian lentils/garlic/onions and pan bread once a day... the day before I'd flagged down what turned out to be a new CG Cutter on its sea trials... I agreed they could do a practice search and they supplied me with fresh bread/cheese/butter/coffee/milk/tomato's and 3 ciggies....
I was doing four slices of Welsh Rarebit with tomato's...... mmmmmmmmmmm
minus the beer sadly... also I like the tomato's sliced thin and seasoned with S & P before pouring over the sauce and browning under the grill...
Welsh Rarebit
  • Six slices of a good baguette or sourdough loaf, toasted and buttered
  • 2 cups shredded English cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup Newcastle ale
  • 1 tbl butter
  • 2 tsp or more of Coleman's mustard
  • Pepper to taste
The absolutely critical thing about this Welsh Rarebit recipe is the cheese, mustard, and ale. You can NOT go cheap on this. The ale has to be a good one (I use Newcastle). The cheddar cheese has to be real cheddar cheese off the wheel. I've used English, Irish, and Australian cheddar cheese with good results. I go to the international food stores and purchase about 4oz of cheddar cheese which yields 2 cups of shredded cheese. Do NOT use American style cheddar cheese. Kraft cheddar cheese will taste horrible and will not melt right. Finally, the mustard has to be HOT Coleman's mustard. For the love of Jeebus, donít use an American-style mustard. Use a HOT mustard. If you ignore what I've written and use Budweiser, Kraft cheddar cheese and American style yellow mustard, then you're going to have a hot pile of crap for dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	welsh rarebit.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	24164  

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 10:28   #36
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Single-handing any cruising yacht is not dangerous or difficult if you do it correctly. .
I do it correctly.

Every half an hour a recorded message goes out opn the VHF:

"I'm single handed, sailing, and I'm asleep. So GET OUTTA MY WAY or I'll SUE YOUR BUTT!"

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 21:15   #37
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

OMG BOATY! THATS AWESOME! Im DROOLING Rivers here!!! Damn that looks good!!

Tags
singlehanding

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: