Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2011, 13:56   #1

SIBs

Hi, is a SIB considered a power boat because it has a little outboad engine at the back? If not, what are they classed as when in the water? Thanks
portcorjeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 14:51   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Danielle,
From the point of view of preventing collisions at sea, any boat that isn't propelled by sail or oars is a power boat.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 14:57   #3

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible
In Connecticut, anything on the water that is propelled by an motor (engine) is a power boat and must be registered and obey rules pertaining to power boats (as Hydra stated)......LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 15:18   #4

So I am then the Give Way boat even tho I am so small right? I am to give way to sailing Yachts and all sailing boats. I needed to know this cuz I thought being small I fell in the row boat category. Am I also to adhere to the same rules when approaching anohter power boat regardless of size? Port to Port etc? I certainly wont be overtaking so then i may be stand on at times cuz of my slow speed when another power boat is behind me, they must then give me way right?. I hope.
Old 18-02-2011, 16:06   #5

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible
You must obey the rules of a powerboat but most importantly, you MUST avoid collision, matters not who is in the right.....just don't get yourself killed because you had the right-of-way......LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 05:17   #6

Practically, even if you are the "stand-on vessel", don't expect fishermen to give way.

Around commercial and military harbors, you must also comply with Rune 9 and "not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway".

Also remember the meaning of 5 blasts of whistle or horn by a (generally large) vessel: you must get of the way quickly.

Alain
Old 19-02-2011, 05:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterHoursNLCT View Post
You must obey the rules of a powerboat but most importantly, you MUST avoid collision, matters not who is in the right.....just don't get yourself killed because you had the right-of-way......LL

I will try my utmost to adhere to all rules and take rules on board in case I forget and review them time to time when in doubt before the situation comes up Like a snippet quick list, probably laminated for waterproofing.
Old 19-02-2011, 05:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Practically, even if you are the "stand-on vessel", don't expect fishermen to give way.

Around commercial and military harbors, you must also comply with Rune 9 and "not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway".

Also remember the meaning of 5 blasts of whistle or horn by a (generally large) vessel: you must get of the way quickly.

Alain

Are there a lot of commercial fishing in the bay? So regardless I must allow all bigger vessels the right of way. I am concerned for speed tho. Since I cant go more than 5 knots how will I move quickly at such a low speed and be safe?

The blasts or whistle I must learn. I have not learned all of them yet and certainly not from commercial boats. Any lists that can lead me to accurate sound singnals?
Old 19-02-2011, 05:54   #9

There is some commercial fishing (trolling, trawling, dredging for scallops and oysters) in rade de Brest. But Brest isn't a large fishing port, there isn't so much traffic.

To be safe, you should either run slowly close to shore (large ships won't go there) or faster in deeper water. The secret for success is keeping a good watch at all times.

The sound signals are defined in "Colregs" (Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea) Rules 32 to 35. See for example: COLREGS - Boating Safety

Alain
Old 19-02-2011, 06:00   #10

Quote:
There is some commercial fishing (trolling, trawling, dredging for scallops and oysters) in rade de Brest. But Brest isn't a large fishing port, there isn't so much traffic.

To be safe, you should either run slowly close to shore (large ships won't go there) or faster in deeper water. The secret for success is keeping a good watch at all times.

The sound signals are defined in "Colregs" (Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea) Rules 32 to 35. See for example: COLREGS - Boating Safety

Alain

I will print the whole colregs and also take with me the parts that are vital, can always have them laminated as a quick look item or a cheat card as we say. Hummm, so where then can I fish? Will I be allowed to fish near shore while boating there? I certainly wont want to get tangled in a Fisher's net or dredger, have heard some horror stories about that, especially if they snip at your anchor and you sucked behind them. Rule of thumb I heard is to have a sharp kinfe and cut anchor line immediately if this happens.
Old 19-02-2011, 06:22   #11

The areas where fishing is prohibited are marked on the charts.

You can fish almost everywhere else. It is a matter of common sense: don't anchor for fishing in channels and entrances to ports.

You will also learn how fishing boats look like, to keep away from them.

Alain
Old 19-02-2011, 06:38   #12

Quote:
The areas where fishing is prohibited are marked on the charts.

You can fish almost everywhere else. It is a matter of common sense: don't anchor for fishing in channels and entrances to ports.

You will also learn how fishing boats look like, to keep away from them.

Alain
I know what the some fishing vessels look like up by Port Corjeau, the smaller ones, but will study the big commercial ones for that area as well. And Yes, I dont intend to go fish in channels of entrances, nor do I plan to be there to begin with