Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 07:42   #1

Seeking boat, but which style/make??

Hi, I'll apologize right at the start for my naivete. The short and long of it: live in Orlando, grew up with smaller fishing boats in the family, mainly for east coast fishing, off Cape Canaveral, just a few miles out perhaps (Cobia, Pro-Line, 16-18 footers). Recently I had a Four Winns 20-footer just to cruise around the lakes here with the family.

The goal was to get about a 35-foot Regal Sportyacht so the wife and I could cruise up/down the coast - ICW and all, and stay overnight on the boat for a few days at a time - maybe run to the Bahamas if the seas were kind enough (again, sorry for my naivete, if that isn't even doable in a 35-footer).

I'd also like to be able to fish off-shore, though, just a few miles out maybe, on the ledge (I'm thinking like in the Keys, off Marathon, Sombrero Lighthouse-type fishing). But, the Regal didn't seem like it was very well-suited for fishing. I was willing to give up the fishing amenities for the wife's comfort, hence the thought about the Regal.

But, the wife isn't here any longer (cancer), and I'm seriously trying to figure out what style/make boat to look into getting. I would still like to be able to stay aboard for several days at a time, but would also like to be able to fish (bottom fishing off-shore - nothing 'serious' like the dolphin-type fishing guys - just grouper, snapper, cuda, shark, etc - the 'easy' stuff ;-) ).

I really liked the idea of that 35-Regal with the joystick to move sideways (I'm sure lots of boats that size now come with the joystick).

Any suggestions would be welcome. Once again, I apologize for my naivete, just looking to be steered in the right direction.

Would probably have it stored over at Canaveral, but if it was small enough to be trailered, that's fine too, just fyi.

Thank you in advance,
William
wakeboarder72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 08:58   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Seeking boat, but which style/make??

First, sorry for your loss.

When it comes to fishing, many viable platforms fall into a few popular categories: center consoles (currently often abrreviated as CCs), express sportfish (often just called express), flybridge sportfish (often called simply sportfish), and convertibles (cross between living amenties and fishability, see our avatar). There are some others -- walk-around cabin, cuddy cabin -- and these are usually like most CCs, at the smaller end of the livability range. OTOH, these latter can approach that trailerability thing. (Few 35' boats are easily trailered without special permits and so forth.) OTOOH, note that liveability varies with size; not that you need huge, just that you should recognize the trade-offs.

Sounds like you might try rummaging around on yachtworld to see which ones strike your fancy. Many, especially newer ones, can come with joystick controls, or they can be retro-fitted in some cases. But what you'll more likely be looking at first is things like cockpit accessibility, places for rod holders, maybe live wells or fishboxes, etc. (Regal, Cruisers, Sea Ray mostly not known for these features... although there are exceptions like the older Sea Ray Amberjack.)

There's a significant difference between express boats and flybridge boats, in terms of pros and cons. Different topic, depends on whether it eventually matters to you.

Yes, a 35' boat can get to the Bahamas. Relatively easy, although some better than others... and in any case, weather can be a factor. Mostly if you have the luxury of planning your crossing around the weather, everything gets easier.

-Chris
Old 18-12-2016, 09:01   #3

Thanks, Chris. You've given me plenty of things to begin looking into, as far as the different styles/classes of boats. I appreciate the insight and advice. And I'll check out yachtworld, like you suggested. ;-)

William
Old 18-12-2016, 09:04   #4

I was still editing myself.

Eventually you'll want to think about price range; that will of course dictate a lot.

You might have a glance at some of the Tiara express models; I think many of those can be (or have been) rigged for fishing. Lots more sportfish and convertible brands, although that market has fallen off a bit in the "affordable" range, and depending on whether you want to go that route.

Most of the CCs, cuddies, walk-arounds won't be on yachtworld, now I think of it. More of those would be dealers, boat magazines, and graiglist and so forth.

-Chris
Old 18-12-2016, 09:09   #5

Thanks again (yeah, I re-read your initial post and thought 'dang, did I skip over that sentence the first time??) ;-)

I'd like to stay under 200K if possible, but the last thing I want is to be stranded - so I want to get something reliable enough not to worry about that. Hence my wondering about new vs used as well. I know there are plenty of reliable used boats out there, but I'm naive enough not to know if it is 1) a good price for what I'm getting, and 2) reliable, with no issues.

Thanks again for the additional....I start searching on/for some of the things you recommended.

Old 18-12-2016, 14:07   #6

You can buy a pretty darned good used 35' powerboat for $200K. And there are guys --marine surveyors and mechanican (engine) surveyors -- you can pay to advise whether a given candidate is at a good price, and what issues you might encounter. (Usually known major issues are resolved before purchase and/or the price gets modified to account for subsequent solution.)

Next, maybe, just pick some boats that look like a decent start... and then come back here with a synposis of boat (links) and why (what features you might value, etc.)... and you'll likely find boatloads of folks who'd love to help you spend your money wisely... er... kibitz...

-Chris
Old 19-12-2016, 13:41   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

I'm a Chris Craft lover, primarily of the Commanders that Chris builds. Given your list of wants, may I suggest you save yourself a ton of money and consider the 315 Commander? You can pick one up for under 20,000. They're 31.5' in length and usually come with twin engines. You can easily fit after-market bow and stern thrusters, the boat is easily trailerable and is great for fishing. It will easily take heavy seas if that becomes necessary, and the Commander hulls are almost bullet-proof. Here are a couple of URLs to get you started: 315 Commander - Chris Craft Commander Club, and Page 1 of 1 - Chris-craft Commander 315 Boats for sale - BoatTrader.com. They're great boats. See my avatar for a slightly bigger version. Best of luck. And I'm so sorry about your wife. I lost mine to ALS about 4 years ago so understand what it's like.

Ray
varkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:48   #8

Boat: Scout 30

Sport cruisers are not fishing boats, are not seaworthy & are not fuel efficient but they do look flashy & can go really fast when it's calm. Go with a single diesel Downeaster/Lobster Boat type of hull. If you're heading out to the middle grounds or across to the Bahamas you'll be glad you did when the **** hits the fan.

1988 Duffy 35 Downeast Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
2001 Mainship Pilot 34 Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
2003 Atlas 32 Downeaster Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
2001 Mainship 30 Pilot Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Sport cruisers... are not seaworthy...

Well, that's a bit of a stretch. Lots of Regal/Cruisers/Carver/Sea Ray/Four Winns/etc. sport cruisers out there that don't sink when the owner leaves the slip. And a quick 46 NM run from FLL to Bahamas or wherever -- in appropriate weather -- isn't unheard of. Sony Crockett could even do it in a go-fast.

Might or might not satisfy OP's niche, but that's a different question.

-Chris
Old 19-12-2016, 14:00   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Sport cruisers are not fishing boats, are not seaworthy & are not fuel efficient but they do look flashy & can go really fast when it's calm. Go with a single diesel Downeaster/Lobster Boat type of hull. If you're heading out to the middle grounds or across to the Bahamas you'll be glad you did when the **** hits the fan.

1988 Duffy 35 Downeast Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
2001 Mainship Pilot 34 Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
2003 Atlas 32 Downeaster Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
2001 Mainship 30 Pilot Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Interesting that you think the boat is neither seaworthy nor fuel efficient. I had a 31 Commander many years ago and got caught in the aftermath of a hurricane off Corpus Christi in the Gulf of Mexico. She was taking green water over the bow with every wave and rode well. It was, of course, rough but the boat took it well and brought me home with no damage to itself or me. I had twin gasoline engines and got a little better than 2 miles to the gallon in normal usage. I thought that was pretty good. Guess that's why they make Fords and Chevrolets: to each his own.
varkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 15:31   #11

Boat: Currently in between

I used to take a 25' Grady White CC with twin Merc 200s on it from FLL to Bimini several times a year. I even did it once when I shouldn't have, rough as snot and got beat up pretty bad but the boat didn't even know it was bad!

I agree with the buy cheap thought mentioned earlier, use it for a year and then you might get a better idea of what it is you really want. Sure would hate to drop $200K on something that ended up not being what you wanted.

There is no rush, at least you didn't say so. Play around cheap and then go big, if you still want to. Heck, you may decide cheap is for you!

PS: They now make CC boats with a single bunk extending down and under the front..
Old 19-12-2016, 16:28   #12

Boat: Scout 30

The problem with Express Cruisers is that they are designed to go fast with as little power as possible to keep fuel consumption from getting insane but they're very heavy. That means they have to have V hulls but they can't be deep enough to make them safe when it gets really nasty like Bertram because of their weight. So you have to slow down when it gets nasty but if you slow down they come off of plane so you're either going 5 knots or 25 knots but nothing in between.

Here's the magic of Lobster boats, with more throttle their speed increases in a linear consistent way. Their bow doesn't jut way up in the air while they wallow till they're up on plane, they just go faster & will run well at literally any speed. What that means is that when it gets nasty & you have a following sea you can slow down to a safe speed but still stay up on plane & in control.

There's a reason Lobster Men don't take express cruisers out in the middle of winter in Maine.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 16:47   #13

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Good advice already, but don't forget with a boat like that comes the ongoing cost of maintenance and operation that makes the initial purchase price seem silly.

While it may seem to make little sense, if you don't use the boat and wear it out, the individual components will wear out on their own and fail without you having enjoyed them.
Complicated systems like Volvo ips drives with the joystick adds a whole other level of complexity and maintenance needs to the vessel that will elevate operating costs. When they do fail you're going to be down for a while until you find someone who is well versed in their repair.

I'm not a naysayer, just someone who's seen a lot of newbies blinded by the glossy pictures and unaware of their ignorance.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 07:25   #14

Wow guys, what awesome input. Sorry, the site didn't give me any more notifications that there were replies - just read through them all now.

I appreciate all the insight, suggestions, and links. I will take them all into consideration.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! ;-)

William
Old 21-12-2016, 07:41   #15

So just putting it out there. There are days when the run to Bimini is dead calm I mean skip a rock calm. Jet skis do it often in summer months.

I will be taking my 25' wellcraft over.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote