Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 16:23   #1

Seasickness Questions?

Some folks on another thread brought up some valid and interesting thoughts about kids and seasickness.

My kids have been on boats and never showed any signs of sickness. Wondering what conditions bring it on (rough seas), how long it lasts, how quickly it comes on?

I suppose with 5 kids, the odds are that at least one of them will have it?

Anyone care to share their thoughts and/or experience with seasickness?
Old 30-06-2013, 16:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Seasickness Questions?

There must be some innate characteristics of individuals,- people seem to react differently. Most seem to do best when they have a view of the horizon. Smells seem to have an inordinate relationship to initiating the nausea of seasickness. Three days seems to be the common cure!
Old 30-06-2013, 16:41   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya GG! Seasickness arises when you eyes view an un-moving stable vision, while the liquids in your ear canals are being "shaken". These combined differing senses tell the brain that your body is not functioning properly. Closing one's eyes can slow down the onset of seasickness; vertigo, (throwing up) and nausea are common symptoms. In addition, your body signals that you're not hungry anymore. If you are to thwart off seasickness, you must take the medication preferably the night before; Stugeron is the preferred medication, but it has side effects like any other medication. I hope this explanation would help.

Mauritz
Knows All, Sees All...Only A Dullah!
Old 30-06-2013, 17:28   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I get people to consume a lot of alcohol and it normally works. Untill one of my last visitors! She got very happy, but then chundered for the rest of the overnighter.

Do your children drink Whiskey?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 17:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I get people to consume a lot of alcohol and it normally works. Untill one of my last visitors! She got very happy, but then chundered for the rest of the overnighter.

Do your children drink Whiskey?
Fruit punch is the drink of choice
Old 30-06-2013, 17:51   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I remember being on a party fishing boat with my dad off Fort Pierce, Fl. when I was about 10 years old. We were in some rolling swells at anchor, but from what I recall you should worry more about the adults than the kids.
I remember the mate mopping up the floor inside the main cabin yelling "I know what kind of car this man drives! He drives a Puke-ick!"
I was briefly sick, but got over it and went back to fishing.
Old 30-06-2013, 18:09   #7

Boat: HATTERAS 50c, 55'aol

The US Navy always served greasy pork chops the night before we departed on a cruise... Few of us old timers would eat greasy foods before leaving. It turned out nasty about two hours out at sea...
captseamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 18:15   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Ginger snaps. They work miracles. I don't allow kids on my boat unless the parents bring ginger snaps. (No other cookies/biscuits are welcome aboard!)

Everybody eats the first ginger snap before we untie the dock lines. It's a ritual.
Old 30-06-2013, 18:15   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya GG! Seasickness arises when you eyes view an un-moving stable vision, while the liquids in your ear canals are being "shaken". These combined differing senses tell the brain that your body is not functioning properly. Closing one's eyes can slow down the onset of seasickness; vertigo, (throwing up) and nausea are common symptoms. In addition, your body signals that you're not hungry anymore. If you are to thwart off seasickness, you must take the medication preferably the night before; Stugeron is the preferred medication, but it has side effects like any other medication. I hope this explanation would help.

Mauritz
Knows All, Sees All...Only A Dullah!

I would just add that what works can vary from person to person. Bonine works well for me, and you only have to take it once every 24 hours. I take it the night before if there's any chance it's going to be rough. I was only seasick once, but it was ... spectacular ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 18:30   #10

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Some folks try to nap, down below, for a few hours to ease seasickness. Medications, are like a band-aid, will not cure seasickness but will dull your senses to ease up the inevitable. Until the liquid in your ear canals are stabilized, you'll still feel awful.

Mauritz
Old 30-06-2013, 18:47   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Some folks try to nap, down below, for a few hours to ease seasickness. Medications, are like a band-aid, will not cure seasickness but will dull your senses to ease up the inevitable. Until the liquid in your ear canals are stabilized, you'll still feel awful.

Mauritz

That's what I like about Bonine. It does not dull my senses. I don't get seasick easily.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 18:51   #12

Boat: Owens

I've known three couples that have sold their boats within a year of purchase because a member of the family suffered severe sea sickness.

For that one reason alone I felt it money well spent to charter for a week prior to continuing searching for our boat.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 19:07   #13

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

I'm certainly no expert on seasickness, I don't get it very easily but usually comes in more lively seaways, and with more violent motions. I get a headache and it usually goes away after a while.

Some people get it at anchor or at the dock. I think anxiety can exacerbate it. Eating heavy foods is not a great idea before putting out to sea, but after one becomes accustomed to motion it gets easier to eat without problems.

I think that most kids adapt after some time, but for kids that are predisposed, the bonine seems to work without knocking them out. If they do fall asleep, the nap usually does them good. I would not really get them worrying about it, rather just try to stick to fair conditions when they're starting out and keep an eye on them and have some Bonine, ginger snaps, ginger ale, and maybe some saltines. You'll find out if it bothers you as well as you get on the water and can manage it once you learn your response to the motion. If you get car sick, or the kids do, then chances are you'll have to manage some seasickness.

May not be a problem at all, but my concern was that it is easy to turn children off by not being prepared if they happen to be predisposed to it. It can really make you want to go home.....

Cheers-
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 19:14   #14

Boat: Amel 50

I've read in an article that using a foam ear plug in the left ear (but I'm guessing either ear works the same) cures seasickness. I have not tried it yet as I only get seasick at very rough seas on dark nights, but other people swear by it.

Nothing to lose (except lunch or dinner) to try it. I will keep a set on my boat for passengers.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 20:33   #15

For many years I wondered why (THEY)got sick and I did not? Well my day came when the seas were big and it was very foggy, no horizon?swore I would sale my boat and never return to the ocean,but time passed .The only advise I have is to stay on deck so the horizon is in sight ,fresh air,and have a task for them to do,try to stop it before it GETS you/them most things don,t work once the throwing-up starts.some are able to sleep it off, some throw up and get over it, and some are totally incapacitated by it?A dill pickle helped my stomach and a berth that is tight and will not let you roll back and forth.
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle