Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 08:18   #16

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Re: Sea Tow, Boat US Membership or Someone Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
The good thing about us sailors is that Dennis will be able to use the exact same quote to another newbie when he has a few more years experience!
I'm working on it, HappyMd.
Old 18-06-2013, 08:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Then the answer is no. If it doesn't register correctly, then it doesn't work...
Ya, sure. NOW ya tell me.
Old 18-06-2013, 08:30   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post

Ya, sure. NOW ya tell me.
I'm going through the same with my boat. They had to cut a hole to access the sending unit.

:'(
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 08:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I'm going through the same with my boat. They had to cut a hole to access the sending unit.

:'(
Uggg...sorry. I just try to keep my tank topped off and an extra 5-10 gals. on board. Then I can live with the lies the fuel gauge tells.
Old 18-06-2013, 09:11   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Yes, but I learned the hard way (see item #2 above) that it lies.
My fuel gauge story. Bought a new 25' Wellcraft about 35 years ago. Dealer told me what mileage it would get, tank capacity, etc. I confirmed the tank capacity when I filled it up the first time but didn't really confirm the mileage since I was boating in south FL with a lot of idle speed, no wake zones, starting/stopping etc so almost impossible to get an accurate measure on the actual fuel consumption. I did watch the gauges and guestimate the mileage and it seemed to tally with the gauge and the info from the dealer.

So took off from West Palm for Freeport with a couple of friends for the first big trip. Obviously knew the distance, timed the hours run time and watched the gauge and everything matched up perfectly. So after a few days got ready to go home. Well the gauge still showed half full and the miles and hours against the claimed consumption indicated I should still have half my range left so decided to forgo expensive Bahamian gas and fill up when I got back to FL. Wrong decision. About 10 miles off West End I ran out of gas. Turns out the gauge was completely wrong and the engines burned twice as much as the dealer told me. So all information indicated I had fuel but I had none.

So got on the radio and found a guy with a sport fisherman in West End that brought me some gas if I paid for his fuel. It was about a 45' boat so I paid him a couple hundred or so and considered it a bargain.

And like yourself, I learned my lesson. No longer believe a gauge unless I've confirmed it personally. Even then I double check it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 09:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
And like yourself, I learned my lesson. No longer believe a gauge unless I've confirmed it personally. Even then I double check it.
Point well made, Skipmac. And a valuable lesson we both have learned.
Old 18-06-2013, 09:39   #22

Boat US: anything less than the premium coverage seems to do nothing for you. I couldnt get a < one mile inland tow or a can of fuel from them with the lesser coverage.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 09:55   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
As a bit of a newbie myself, I have been extremely grateful for the assistance of BoatUS for help when:
1. the bearings on my fresh water pump seized
2. I ran aground in fog after running out of fuel
3. I ran my batteries down too low to start the engine

I am somewhat embarrassed to say that BoatUS has lost a bilge-load of money on me, even though I've been purchasing their most expensive annual package at $157/year.

As a side note: Since New England is my cruising ground, I researched the coverage of BoatUS vs. SeaTow and found that BoatUS was more omnipresent in the area.

Speaking of fog, one day when I needed a fog report, I called everyone I could think of (here, apparently, the Coast Guard doesn't like to be called; they hide their numbers well). Finally I called Boat US, and they were able to tell me exactly where the fog was thick and where it was lifting -- they have boats out all over the place.

They didn't ask for my membership number before telling me, either, but where I am (west central coast of Florida), they have a lot more boats and a more favorable reputation among sailors. If Company A can get to you within 4 hours and Company B can be there in 45 minutes, which do you want? It may be different where you are, but here, it's BOAT US that has the good coverage, and here is generally believed to have the most knowledge about how to handle sailboats.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 09:57   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Oh, so you're the guy driving up the rates for the rest of us that never need a tow.
Well, I've helped, especially when my old engine was ready for the Happy Hunting Ground ...
Old 18-06-2013, 10:00   #25
cruiser

Quote:
My fuel gauge story. Bought a new 25' Wellcraft about 35 years ago. Dealer told me what mileage it would get, tank capacity, etc. I confirmed the tank capacity when I filled it up the first time but didn't really confirm the mileage since I was boating in south FL with a lot of idle speed, no wake zones, starting/stopping etc so almost impossible to get an accurate measure on the actual fuel consumption. I did watch the gauges and guestimate the mileage and it seemed to tally with the gauge and the info from the dealer.

So took off from West Palm for Freeport with a couple of friends for the first big trip. Obviously knew the distance, timed the hours run time and watched the gauge and everything matched up perfectly. So after a few days got ready to go home. Well the gauge still showed half full and the miles and hours against the claimed consumption indicated I should still have half my range left so decided to forgo expensive Bahamian gas and fill up when I got back to FL. Wrong decision. About 10 miles off West End I ran out of gas. Turns out the gauge was completely wrong and the engines burned twice as much as the dealer told me. So all information indicated I had fuel but I had none.

So got on the radio and found a guy with a sport fisherman in West End that brought me some gas if I paid for his fuel. It was about a 45' boat so I paid him a couple hundred or so and considered it a bargain.

I looked at putting one in but heard stories like this and decided that carrying a jerrycan of extra fuel was the solution for me.
Old 18-06-2013, 11:12   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Well, I've helped, especially when my old engine was ready for the Happy Hunting Ground ...
Perfectly OK. You can just send me a small donation towards my towing insurance to offset the increases and all will be forgiven.
Old 18-06-2013, 11:13   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I looked at putting one in but heard stories like this and decided that carrying a jerrycan of extra fuel was the solution for me.
Would not have helped in my case since the Wellcraft was burning close to a gallon per mile. Have to have a really big jerrycan.
Old 18-06-2013, 12:10   #28

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Insurance just drives up the cost of services they pay for. Towing at $300/hr, yeah right, only if insurance is paying.
I've had my boat towed home on the river twice from helpful people when I had engine trouble.

I prefer to be extra careful or pay the consequences if the rare event occurs...or have friends that can help.
Make some boating friends, best insurance you could ever have,
more fun to boat with other people too.

The OP has a 16ft powerboat for lakes, will BoatUS will come tow you home in some rural lake if you run out of gas or the propeller breaks?

The best gift is a safety boating course, and good life vests.
Old 18-06-2013, 12:39   #29

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Like Rakuflmes, being a coastal Florida resident with ever changing bottoms, TowBoat US is the only way to go.....never had to use mine in 10 years and don't regret paying the membership.....
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 14:52   #30

TowBoatUs hands down. I really like the smart phone app that calls the tower and gives your gps location.
Mr Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
membership