Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 07:41   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10
sea ray vs four winns?

Hi all

new to the forum. I have basic boating experience in mid sized I/O bowriders, most of my life.

I am looking at a cruiser between 35 and 40 foot range and sea ray and four winns look pretty good to me.

But with little experience with a boat like this i would love to get some feedback on which brand is better and what a newbee should be looking for.

It would be used in salt water (florida) and hopefully move around a fair bit (2 adults 2 kids max) with stay-overs no longer than a week.

Any feedback would be wonderful and appreciated, even if another brand/type would be better.

Thanks....
__________________

__________________
xcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:11   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

You really can't go wrong there. These are both great choices, of comparable quality, so get the one you want!

You'll have to look closely at the fit and finish and layout that you prefer, and I'm sure if you sit on one you'll have a preference.
__________________

__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:23   #3
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

I'm no expert, but I've had actual experience with both of those brands as well as about 30 other M/V's from 16' ski boats to 65' Hattari ... (Hatteras) and
NEITHER of these would be my 1st... 5th... or 10th... choice....

Don't get me wrong... They work just fine as boats... but there are SOOOOO Many other brands out there I think are superior...

Hatteras, Chris Craft, Bertram, Egg Harbor, Tiara, Carver, Grady White, Robalo, Wellcraft, Ocean, Mainship.... This is a 30 second list... TONS of others... Out of the two, the Ray isn't the worst...

Diesel is the only choice....
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:41   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I'm no expert, but I've had actual experience with both of those brands as well as about 30 other M/V's from 16' ski boats to 65' Hattari ... (Hatteras) and
NEITHER of these would be my 1st... 5th... or 10th... choice....

Don't get me wrong... They work just fine as boats... but there are SOOOOO Many other brands out there I think are superior...

Hatteras, Chris Craft, Bertram, Egg Harbor, Tiara, Carver, Grady White, Robalo, Wellcraft, Ocean, Mainship.... This is a 30 second list... TONS of others... Out of the two, the Ray isn't the worst...

Diesel is the only choice....
most of those brands do not make cruisers like these tough right? (can't afford a hatti)

As far as Carver do you mean like the new (i think) c37/40?.....Carver is better?

thanks for the feedback
__________________
xcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:51   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Oh, if money is no object, I'd go Chris Craft or Cobalt.

Sea Ray and Four Winns are good bets at a mid-level price point.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:54   #6
Registered User
 
OutOfControl's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Boat: Key West 2020 CC
Posts: 213
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

xcurrent,
Sea Ray had some issues regarding balsa-cored hulls below the water line. You should have a surveyor that is competent in this area. They are not the only company that used balsa coring below the water line, but the quality of their workmanship and materials needs a thorough inspection.
A lot of boat for the money if you find a good one.
Tiara, as mentioned above deserves a look also.
__________________
OutOfControl
OutOfControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 09:00   #7
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcurrent View Post
most of those brands do not make cruisers like these tough right? (can't afford a hatti)

As far as Carver do you mean like the new (i think) c37/40?.....Carver is better?

thanks for the feedback
Please tell me you're not buying these new... If you are, then yes... my mentioned brands are pretty spendy... Nothing wrong with the Ray

or Ahem... The Winns... Just not what I would do at all.... Maybe I'm biased, but experience with a 35' Four Loser 20 years ago... biggest piece of dog I ever set my butt behind the helm... Crap performance/stability/manuverability/... and.... Fit/finish.... Who knows??? Maybe they are great boats now???

Ray is OK, again... my experience was with an older mid 90's boat... 37' Normal IO problems and engine.... Most bad stuff goes away with an inboard diesel here....

Make up a fictional dollar amount.... I'll go to YW for you and pick my top 5...
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 09:07   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
xcurrent,
Sea Ray had some issues regarding balsa-cored hulls below the water line. You should have a surveyor that is competent in this area. They are not the only company that used balsa coring below the water line, but the quality of their workmanship and materials needs a thorough inspection.
A lot of boat for the money if you find a good one.
Tiara, as mentioned above deserves a look also.
i was hoping for new (we will see). So new they are comparable? but used i will get a survey....... thanks

If i go used i will prolly try to find a broker (i guess?)
__________________
xcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 09:11   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Please tell me you're not buying these new... If you are, then yes... my mentioned brands are pretty spendy... Nothing wrong with the Ray

or Ahem... The Winns... Just not what I would do at all.... Maybe I'm biased, but experience with a 35' Four Loser 20 years ago... biggest piece of dog I ever set my butt behind the helm... Crap performance/stability/manuverability/... and.... Fit/finish.... Who knows??? Maybe they are great boats now???

Ray is OK, again... my experience was with an older mid 90's boat... 37' Normal IO problems and engine.... Most bad stuff goes away with an inboard diesel here....

Make up a fictional dollar amount.... I'll go to YW for you and pick my top 5...
350k.....(not sure yet but its a start)
__________________
xcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 09:19   #10
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcurrent View Post
i was hoping for new (we will see). So new they are comparable? but used i will get a survey....... thanks

If i go used i will prolly try to find a broker (i guess?)
Survey absolutely MANDATORY on anything that ever touched the water or sat more than a week outside....

PURCHASE BROKERS ARE FREEEEEEEE...... Do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcurrent View Post
350k.....(not sure yet but its a start)
Jeezo... You could buy the moon with this number.... Usually you would look 30% over buying used, and find the right boat/owner combo that comes down to your budget... I'll stick with 350.... It's Christmas all over again Happy!
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 09:24   #11
Registered User
 
OutOfControl's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Boat: Key West 2020 CC
Posts: 213
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcurrent View Post
i was hoping for new (we will see). So new they are comparable? but used i will get a survey....... thanks

If i go used i will prolly try to find a broker (i guess?)
Tiara and some of the other brands mentioned by Happy above are in a whole different league.
And as Happy also pondered, buying used is a smart option and will save money allowing you to get something you otherwise may not be able to afford new.
It's a buyers market, lots of late model used boats with little use. Depending on the amount you plan on spending it might be advantageous for you to secure a "buyers broker".
__________________
OutOfControl
OutOfControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 09:28   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Survey absolutely MANDATORY on anything that ever touched the water or sat more than a week outside....

PURCHASE BROKERS ARE FREEEEEEEE...... Do it!
survey/broker on a new boat? or just used?
__________________
xcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 09:37   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
.

PURCHASE BROKERS ARE FREEEEEEEE...... Do it!

I'm sorry, but no broker is ever free. They may sometimes pay for themselves if you rub them up against another broker, or if you're not the kind of person who likes to negotiate.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 09:38   #14
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Here you go....

I didn't put any rays on here cause I think you've looked at 'em... Simply other options.... Ton's more...

Pick 'em apart and tell me what you hate....

2009 Mainship Pilot Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2008 Regal 4460 Commadore-FRESHWATER ONLY Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2009 Carver 43 Super Sport Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2008 Tiara 3900 Sovran Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2009 Tiara 36 Open Volvo IPS-500 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

BRAND NEW...
2014 Regal 35 Sport Coupe Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2008 Meridian 408 Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 09:41   #15
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I'm sorry, but no broker is ever free. They may sometimes pay for themselves if you rub them up against another broker, or if you're not the kind of person who likes to negotiate.
Your purchase broker should take some of the seller broker's cut....
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sea ray

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.