Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 08:47   #16

Re: sea ray vs four winns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Your purchase broker should take some of the seller broker's cut....
Yes, which comes out of the price that you're negotiating with the seller.

Just because it's not a line item or you're not getting a bill for it, doesn't mean it's not getting accounted for in someone's part of the negotiation, particularly if it's the person doing the negotiating.

It always cracks me up when someone says "that item's price isn't negotiable" in a negotiation.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:50   #17

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Oh, if money is no object, I'd go Chris Craft or Cobalt.

Sea Ray and Four Winns are good bets at a mid-level price point.
I'd choose Sea Ray slightly over Four Winns simply because of the dealer network and the support. But if there was a Four Winns I just really preferred, I'd go that route. Also the Sea Ray Sundancers are made for real cruising and the Four Winns don't have the same usable space.

As to Chris Craft and Cobalt. Chris Craft really has day boats, not true cruisers. Now Cobalt we love and had on the lake, but there entry into cruisers contained building maybe the nicest factory in Venore TN and shutting it down quickly. Nothing that's more than a day boat and no diesel. The layout of their 33 doesn't compare to a Sea Ray cruiser.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 10:05   #18

On a new Sea Ray that will get you a 35' or 37' Sea Ray Sundancer
Old 25-02-2014, 10:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcurrent View Post
survey/broker on a new boat? or just used?
BOTH.

Unless you are an EXPERIENCED boater, you should do for new, too.

I have heard more horror stories than I care to admit (OK, so i just DID admit it, right?) with inexperienced owners on new boats. Complaints ranged from hoses falling off (who wouldn't check hose clamps for goo'ness sake?) to engine control linkages to all sorts of other things. Paco or Xintao at the factory coulda been coming in to work on Monday or wanting to go home early on Friday. Who knew???

There are all sorts of mobo forums dedicated to each of those boats that you can find owners' comments. Just takes a little bit of Google searching.

My son's thinking of buying a used motor scooter - he spent two hours online and found all sorts of goody information.

You can, too. Consider this forum just start.

Happy hunting and good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 11:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
BOTH.

Unless you are an EXPERIENCED boater, you should do for new, too.

I have heard more horror stories than I care to admit (OK, so i just DID admit it, right?) with inexperienced owners on new boats. Complaints ranged from hoses falling off (who wouldn't check hose clamps for goo'ness sake?) to engine control linkages to all sorts of other things. Paco or Xintao at the factory coulda been coming in to work on Monday or wanting to go home early on Friday. Who knew???

There are all sorts of mobo forums dedicated to each of those boats that you can find owners' comments. Just takes a little bit of Google searching.

My son's thinking of buying a used motor scooter - he spent two hours online and found all sorts of goody information.

You can, too. Consider this forum just start.

Happy hunting and good luck.
OK tx good to know. and yes i'm working other resources/forums etc as well.
xcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 11:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
On a new Sea Ray that will get you a 35' or 37' Sea Ray Sundancer
right, which i have heard good and bad about....a couple horror stories but thats prolly true of all brands right?
Old 25-02-2014, 11:35   #22

great links tx! i'll do some homework and come back....cheers
Old 25-02-2014, 11:50   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

With out drives , make sure you undertake a very detailed examination of the drive and the drive shaft and bearings.

Any water in the leg oil is a major red flag

Dave
Old 25-02-2014, 11:54   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
With out drives , make sure you undertake a very detailed examination of the drive and the drive shaft and bearings.

Any water in the leg oil is a major red flag

Dave
TX! .............keep it coming (although the board has all ready convinced me to get a survey) but the knowledge for me is great!
Old 25-02-2014, 12:25   #25

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Hi all

new to the forum. I have basic boating experience in mid sized I/O bowriders, most of my life.

I am looking at a cruiser between 35 and 40 foot range and sea ray and four winns look pretty good to me.

But with little experience with a boat like this i would love to get some feedback on which brand is better and what a newbee should be looking for.

It would be used in salt water (florida) and hopefully move around a fair bit (2 adults 2 kids max) with stay-overs no longer than a week.

Any feedback would be wonderful and appreciated, even if another brand/type would be better.

Thanks....

Some random thoughts:

Kids grow, so if you buy something with only adequate room now, it might not be large enough day after tomorrow

Kids get friends, and they also get bored if the friends aren't sitting right next to them; extra space for the peanut gallery might help

If you have friends, you may be rash and invite them aboard; got room?

New boats depreciate quickly, and may or may not be in as good condition as some used boats

Assuming you meant "express style" boats (many Sea Rays, all Four Winns that I know of), you might try to get a feel for whether you can live in a cave

Weather happens, so sometimes a bit of elbow room -- and some nifty windows you can see out of during the storm -- may make it easier to handle periods of captivity (Cave comment applies.)

Short and/or seldom trips often mean gas boats are fine; cost of acquisition is low, maintenance is possible, etc., although there can be some safety things to pay attention to. Long trips/often may suggest leaning toward diesel, and that also can mitigate some of those safety issues

Just as there are some pros and cons associated with gas and diesel engines, so too there are advantages/disadvantages of: twin engines vs. single; straights shafts vs V-drives vs. pod drives vs IO (outdrives) vs outboards; planing hulls vs demi-planning (or semi-displacement) vs displacement hulls; and so forth. (Home in on boats you like, and many here can discuss pros/cons.)

When you shop on a boat, imagine yourself using it. Imagine getting undressed at night (where do you hang your clothes?), cooking a meal, going forward to lower/raise the anchor, carrying a dinghy, boarding with a pet, etc etc etc.

Imagine also ACCESS to various systems, which will need periodic/routine service and sometimes bigger repairs and/or replacement. Can you get to the genset? Can you get to the AC? Can you get to the hot water heater? Can you easily check your batteries?

Many brands/models may satisfy; features that suit the way you'll use the boat, and access to fix it, are much more important in my mind than the brand.

(Although, yes, some brands are better than others.)

-Chris
Old 25-02-2014, 17:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Some random thoughts:

New boats depreciate quickly, and may or may not be in as good condition as some used boats
yes i agree and this is what i struggle with the most. Is the instant depreciation worth knowing its a new boat. I will definatley be investigating this further.

Quote:
Assuming you meant "express style" boats (many Sea Rays, all Four Winns that I know of), you might try to get a feel for whether you can live in a cave

Weather happens, so sometimes a bit of elbow room -- and some nifty windows you can see out of during the storm -- may make it easier to handle periods of captivity (Cave comment applies.)
Cave issue i am ok with but wife disagrees.....i assume you are suggesting more of a carver/silverton type cruiser as opposed to the express? Someone else used the term 'cocktail cruiser' for the express lol that seemed appropriate

Quote:
Short and/or seldom trips often mean gas boats are fine; cost of acquisition is low, maintenance is possible, etc., although there can be some safety things to pay attention to. Long trips/often may suggest leaning toward diesel, and that also can mitigate some of those safety issues
can you expand on the safety issues specifically please?

-Chris[/QUOTE]
Old 26-02-2014, 13:30   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
great links tx! i'll do some homework and come back....cheers
You bet man!

AND TONS of other great advice has been given here.... Broaden your horizons.... Find out what you hate about some styles... and now "need to have" in others.... I personally think you were looking "too narrowly" before.... If it comes back to your original ideas??? You know for sure then!

You are more than welcome to PM me any time if you have a specific question or boat... as well as posting it here...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 15:22   #28

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Cave issue i am ok with but wife disagrees.....i assume you are suggesting more of a carver/silverton type cruiser as opposed to the express? Someone else used the term 'cocktail cruiser' for the express lol that seemed appropriate

can you expand on the safety issues specifically please?

Well, not suggesting, really; more like just encouraging you (all) to explore various features so you can pick those that suit you (all) over time. There are pros/cons for flybridge boats, just as there are the same for express boats. Wander around some docks, see what you like.

The gas safety thing isn't a huge problem, as long as you pay attention. Mostly it has to do with evacuating gasoline fumes before starting engines, specific fueling procedures, etc. Do it right, no problem. You might invest in a Chapman's Piloting book (for example) for further discussion. Or a USCH boating safety course (or US Power Squadron equivalent) would be helpful, since the specifically train on that subject. (and others, of course, all useful.) Or BoatUS has an online course that probably treats the subject. If you check stuff like that out and still have questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-Chris
Old 27-02-2014, 09:26   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Well, not suggesting, really; more like just encouraging you (all) to explore various features so you can pick those that suit you (all) over time. There are pros/cons for flybridge boats, just as there are the same for express boats. Wander around some docks, see what you like.

-Chris
My point... pointed out again... You don't just buy a 911 because it's shiny... Once in a while you may need to pick up 3 kids from school, or grab that plywood sheet from Home Depot....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 11:38   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
My point... pointed out again... You don't just buy a 911 because it's shiny... Once in a while you may need to pick up 3 kids from school, or grab that plywood sheet from Home Depot....
Wifey B: Oh but my 911 is shiny. Don't put it down. I love it.....oops.....so that's why we have an SUV too....hehe....

And your point is valid. I would never have a 911 as our only family car. And in a boat it's even more so. As much as I like style and flash, we've gone toward space and utility and comfort. Actually buying a boat for many is more like buying a house than a car so your analogy may miss a bit. But sometimes you look at a house that really is just super cool and instant love, but when you start looking closely you realize your furniture won't fit and the kitchen is too small and things that really affect your daily lives.

If you're buying a boat for a day on the lake, it's one thing. When we lived on an inland lake, pretty and fast were important. But if you're buying one to spend weekends, weeks or longer on, then it's more than just a piece of transportation.

Tags
sea ray