Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2010, 17:01   #1

Boat: ????
Thumbs down Sea Legs at 42 ? Liveaboard ?

Well, 20 years of marriage and we agree to disagree. House and farm for sale and I will move her back to Texas"D" and head for the Sunshine state! Gas, deisel, 30ft, 40ft, Flybridge, cruiser, sedan, carver,silverton?? Who knows with rum, guitar, and sand in my toes. Time to embrace the unknown! I feel a new song comin on! It'll be fun though, and I like reading and gleaning knowledge from you folks. Your posts will save a greenhorn alot of grief and money.
I'll probably come down and do alot of tire kickin before taking the plunge. I'm thinkin of Something I can trailer with a dooley for the first year or so? Then jump to a 35 to 40 motoryacht. I guess its all about sliplife. I need people and new things to challenge me. Hope I can find that there? Drove the whole Fl. coastline this last Jan. One of the coldest ever! The fish in the keys were dead and dying. Had to wear a coat and gloves to kayak? Still awesome blue water! Fishing was descent offshore.
The Bayliner 2858 looks like a good starter with a descent kicker motor?That and a 20ft bayboat should be enough to get around and enjoy the wildlife. Tom here sayin hello with my first post!
inTO-Me-sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 17:08   #2

Thumbs up

oophs?? If yer upside down the thumbs up. Americans know about upside down right now.
Old 22-07-2010, 17:03   #3

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
First set your budget and stick to it. Without boating experience, I suggest you contact a reputable broker and level with him about your experience, what you want to spend and what you require regarding creature comforts if you plan on living aboard. Also check out marinas in the area you plan to settle to ensure there are liveaboard slips available and what the cost of a slip would be (liveaboards are many times slightly more expensive than non-liveaboard slips). You will get more livable space on a powerboat than a sailboat. I would forget about trying to live aboard a trailered boat for any length of time... too small and most lack the space and amenities for anything but a weekend stay. You will find liveaboards and cruisers to be generally helpful and knowledgable. Enjoy your adventure... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 19:08   #4

Thanks, also looking at rental property in Naples. Live there while researching makes sense. I think the true liveaboard takes a complete commitment to that life. I have got what I've asked for many times and the dream can be better than the reality. So I'll take it slow and keep reading what the liveaboards posts.
Old 22-07-2010, 19:27   #5

Take your time chosing a boat, there are many things to consider and you will only find out later what you should not have done.

A guy here got divorced and wanted to live/cruise on a yacht.
He had NO sailing experience.
He ended up buying a "cute" wooden sailing boat 40 ft long that needed at least two people to sail it, and he is only one.
He tried for two years to find a female to share his life,but it didn't happen.
Join a yacht club, go out on the wednesday afternoon twilight sail, Talk to boaties, someone will take you out. Charter a boat, do as much as you can getting to know what boat you really want.
A Carver/Silverton are not liveboard cruisers. they are Gin palaces that you throw money into.

Also make sure you can find a marina in which you can live aboard, most marina's wont allow it.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 19:42   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Great points you make, Beau... For a novice, my advice to inTo-Me-sea would be to start with a powerboat first, probably in the 35-38 foot range. Easily handled alone provided he has completed a Power Squadron course, large enough to liveaboard comfortably, affordable and not difficult to find a berth in Southern California. If he had some sailing experience, then a sailboat would be preferable from a life style point of view and very enjoyable if you love sailing as I do.
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 19:46   #7

Boat: Islander 36
Get your hand on a copy of the book "The Liveaboard Report". Google it. I picked mine up at WM. Very helpful.
Old 24-07-2010, 04:42   #8
sjs

Capt. Phil,

As a sailor who is giving a little thought to switching to power, I am curious why you said the sailor liveaboard has a preferable life style. If its the joy of sailing to which you refer, I understand; but did you mean something else about the lifestyle?
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 17:40   #9

I'm thinkin roommate on land and buy a bay boat first. Rub elbows for a time and see if its what I want. I've always had fresh water boats and toys. Just not used to the salt. Never sailed but must give it a try with someone who can bark orders! There are homes on canals with rooms for rent around Naples. I'm listening. I'll always have storage and a truck, maybe a cnc lathe and mill to make or fix boat parts.

Tags
liveaboard