Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2012, 22:33   #1

Restoration of Inspiration

I promised some pics, and here are some for starters-the kitchen.

I inherited the boat's name "Inspiration" but never use it and don't like it. But a working title nonetheless.

She's a 30ft Hartley-designed plywood cruiser with 120 hp 6cyl Ford Lehman diesel. She was sound but neglected when we bought her in 2005 and have spend time till now (and beyond) restoring on the Gippsland Lakes in Victoria, Australia.

Here is the kitchen before, during our demolition, and after. The bench top was plywood, with laminex glued on top, then mosaic tiles glued to that! Took quite a tedious effort and badly cut thumb (on a broken tile) to scrape the whole lot back to bare board.

Old camper LPG (propane) stove went to the dumpster and replaced with stainless steel proper marine one. New fascias throughout the boat of Okoume (African Gaboon) replaced sundry chocolate carpet or faux woodgrained plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen before.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	42570   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen demolish.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	42571  

Name:	kit after.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	42572  
starcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 23:45   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Restoration of Inspiration

Nice!!
Old 21-06-2012, 19:32   #3

My first restoration task was to have somewhere to eat during the restoration, lol.

I took careful measurements and took them back home to my workshop 300 km away. Lesson number one: nothing on a boat is square, even though my radial arm saw and other tools are carefully aligned to cut that way. So, having cut the pieces ay home, they had to be re-cut in situ.

The saloon is rather dominated by the engine box, but that's the downside of an inboard and shallow bilge. It had chocolate carpet cladding to match the floor. Most of the walls were clad in imitation vinyl flooring. It had to go, replaced by okoume ply and coats of clear polyurethane.

New dining area, new lounge (left), with professionally custom made cushions and backrests.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	towards rear.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	42610   Click image for larger version

Name:	wrieafter.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	42611  

Name:	IMG_2321.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	42612  
Old 23-06-2012, 17:21   #4

The cabin sole---I really prefer non nautical terms, so I'll call it floor--- was 1/2 plywood over which had been glued some ugly seagrass matting. As though that were not enough, chocolate brown carpet was overlaid over that.

It all had to go. We considered options. New carpet would have been the simplest, but the way it attracts dust, dog hairs and oil spills ruled it out.

Modular plywood flooring which interlocks and has an attractive verneer was considered but ruled out because of swelling.

So we opted for hardwood flooring, 3/4 inch thick Tasmanian Oak as used in houses.

I assembled several sections of it at home, using polyurethane adhesive on the edges and sash clamps to keep the bonds tight.

The rest of the work was done in situ---cutting the pieces to length, using a router to clean up the edges etc. Battens are glued and screwed on the undersides to further hold them together.

Several coats of polyurethane clear gloss gave them an attractive lustre and they are easy to sweep or vacuum clean.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seagrassmatt.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	42667   Click image for larger version

Name:	flooring1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	42668  

Name:	floorafter.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	42669   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear floor 2.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	42670  

Old 26-06-2012, 19:25   #5

This is the exterior of the boat as we saw her for sale.

A bimini on the flybridge, but very cold in winter, so clears were ordered as a priority. They have made an absolute positive difference to comfort.
Only a small bit of sunshine, even in winter, is enough to make the flybridge warm. Zip down windows at front or back and it cools very rapidly in summer.

A lovely place to enjoy our absolute waterfront position with wine and cheese in the evenings. The solar panel was a temporary installation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	exterior boat.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	42788   Click image for larger version

Name:	close up clears.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	42789  

Old 26-06-2012, 20:16   #6

Above the V-berths there was a potentially a large area for storing clothes for all seasons.

But it had to be turned into shelves first.

That became a very laborious task, measuring each piece of wood in situ, then going outside to cut it, back inside for fitting, making adjustments, back out to shave a bit here, a nick there, back inside....kept me fit!

The idea was to screw and glue some cleats horizontally on the frames, then place 3/4 inch tongue and groove hardwood flooring boards on them for the shelves.

Everything had to follow the contours of the hull, both vertically and horizontally. Quite a task.

Everything was then covered in a sheet of Okoume ply, and the cupboard doors cut out from the sheet very carefully as the jigsaw line became the tiny speace between door and frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shelves1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	42790   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelves2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	42791  

Name:	shelves covered.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	42792   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelvesfinished.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	42793  

Old 27-06-2012, 13:46   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Very nice
we have a shelf already aboard Rain Dog on each side of our v-berth just need to enclose it to make it into a cabinet like you have done. Give us lots more usable storage.
Cheers,
Ocean Girl
Old 27-06-2012, 21:32   #8

Make every inch of space pull itd weight. Enclosing looks good and tidy
Old 21-07-2012, 11:00   #9

Very nice! Welcome

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 03:24   #10

Restoration work went full gallop for the first couple of years...but has slowed as much of the work to make the boat liveable, has been done.

Not that there is nothing left to do----it is, after all, a wooden boat.

We lifted the solid timber flooring and carted it home in sections, for recoating with clear polyurethane.

Each section was sanded lightly without totally removing the old coats, and then given 5 coats of the tough flooring polyurethane. Looks nice and shiny and is very easy to sweep up.

The undersides...we did what should have been done originally, and that is painted to minimise moisture absorption. Two coats of acrylic white all-in-one primer/undercoat, and two finishing coats of oil-based enamel.

We are now waiting for the nearby slip yard to call us when the are ready for some major work.

That involves removing the plywood cabin sides together with the badly-sealed acrylic non-opening windows.

New plywood sides will be fitted, with cutouts in situ for sliding aluminium glass windows.

Much needed cooling ventilation for sum er---and no more leaks.
Old 13-09-2012, 03:39   #11

Firstly, I will say you are tenacious and perhaps have perfectionist tendencies. Your work looks great!

But this isn't a "wood boat". This is a plywood boat that's been hacked in past years. Calling plywood a wood boat is like...well, it isn't wood.

Miter and bevel is all ya need to know. How to find the fit? Bevel guage, protractor, spirit level, and carpenter's rule are the tools of the trade. It has oft been said there is nothing-absolutely nothing-as fine as messing about in boats. A fine job done in boat restoration qualifies. The work looks great. Be proud of your accomplishments. You're just the caretaker for the time being. Pass to the next generation a fine boat.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 04:06   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Firstly, I will say you are tenacious and perhaps have perfectionist tendencies. Your work looks great!

But this isn't a "wood boat". This is a plywood boat that's been hacked in past years. Calling plywood a wood boat is like...well, it isn't wood.

Miter and bevel is all ya need to know. How to find the fit? Bevel guage, protractor, spirit level, and carpenter's rule are the tools of the trade. It has oft been said there is nothing-absolutely nothing-as fine as messing about in boats. A fine job done in boat restoration qualifies. The work looks great. Be proud of your accomplishments. You're just the caretaker for the time being. Pass to the next generation a fine boat.
anybody who "messes' about in boats needs their head examining!"

you think your's was bad!

nice job keep up the good work and thanks for posting the photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hina 006.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	46460   Click image for larger version

Name:	hina 026.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	46461  

Name:	hina galley 001.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	46462   Click image for larger version

Name:	hina galley 010.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	46463  

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 05:30   #13

Atoll, wow. Is that broken concrete ballast? Transforming bare wood--sorry Richard, PLYwood--into a beatifully-surfaced functioning item like a kitchen cabinet is very satisfying.

Yes, plywood is much more maintenance friendly than planks and ribs, that's for sure. But like "wood" it still rots and needs treatment. I either cut it out, or, if small and non-structural, drill holes in it, fill it with thin epoxy, and plaster over it with epoxy glue and sawdust powder.
Old 13-09-2012, 05:42   #14

Atoll, cry me a river. Let us know when you decide to tackle real work.

A fine built wood boat--there's nothing like her. I hafta wonder how many of the naysayers have actually maintained a wooden boat? For joinery I prefer solid wood, ply has too much exposed to suck moisture. Me boys it be true, ply sucks water like a sponge.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 12:01   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Atoll, cry me a river. Let us know when you decide to tackle real work.

A fine built wood boat--there's nothing like her. I hafta wonder how many of the naysayers have actually maintained a wooden boat? For joinery I prefer solid wood, ply has too much exposed to suck moisture. Me boys it be true, ply sucks water like a sponge.
cheeky! that is only one of the 3 boats that i am refitting!

you obviously havent discovered epoxy yet!

where i am i'm surrounded by 100 year old wooden boats! rather them than me,they never seem to have time to go anywhere,too busy fixing them i suppose.
my mate taking out his mothers boat for the second time...........in 3 years!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hina galley 005.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	46473  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote