Oops. clean forgot to post the perspex windows saga...some time ago now.
The old perspex--acrylic--windows could never be sealed properly against the walls. Water
made mush of the surrounding wood. They were not the opening type anyway, and while heating
the boat nicely in winter sun, they were oppressive in summer.
When we bought the boat there was not one opening window. I made a small one at the front which surprisingly did allow a tunnel of air in if the wind
blew from that side.
They all had to go.
But we didn't want to replace like with like. We wanted new aluminium framed sliding windows, with parallel sides and toughened glass. No more scratched surfaces. So all the cabin
sides would have to be demolished, and replaced with fitted sheets
The job would take several months on the hard
and done by professional shipwrights.
While that was happening, every fortnight or so we'd go up and attend to sanding
back the hull
, fairing, painting and lastly antifouling.
We worked 10 hours a day, up to a fortnight at a time, watching winter turn into spring and the approach of summer.
Inside and out, the boat was a bomb site in which we lived as work progressed.
On Friday evening, the yard workers would go home for the weekend, while we worked on. On Mondays they returned, and we worked on. Tiring, but hey, we were hundreds of kilometres from home in a pleasant resorty type town with ample restaurants and cafes by the water.
My wife and I used power orbital sanders, a heat gun, a multi-tool with sanding
pad, scrapers and plain elbow
grease. She liked the tedious slow work and that mitigated my guilt about handing it to her to do.