Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2013, 12:30   #16

Boat: too many
Re: Recommendation on a Powerboat for Cruising

How about a powercat? Covers both bases and they come in displacement, semi, and planing hulls. Lots of used Glacier Bay power cats available. The small 26' 2690 model is the one Larry Graf ran from Hawaii to Midway Island, Alaska to Siberia and back, and from the East Coast to Bermuda. If you don't need a trailerable boat, the 34' might fit your needs. Here are some GBs for sale. Search for boats on Boats.com
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 12:50   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

When in NC we briefly met a power cat that I loved. It was one of French makers (bene?lagoon?).

I loved that boat - it was very quiet, made next to nill wash, moved fast and offered that typical bridgedeck living room. Cream.

PS I have g oogled some and I think it was a power cat from Fountaine Pajot.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 13:14   #18

Boat: CL52

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
I am trying to make a decision to purchase a cruiser powerboat. I currently have a mid-size sailboat but I think it's just too much heeling, wind and overall uncomfortableness for my two kids and wife. Beginning to think that they are just not sailors...

I have been looking and researching online, but not being very familiar with powerboat manufacturers, there seems to be quite a few to choose from in the 34' to 37' range. Rinker 342, Formula 39 PC, etc...

I am looking for a comfortable and roomy interior, in the 34' to 37' range. Going 45 mph on the water would not be a priority.

Any thoughts?
What is your budget? Are you intersted in new or used boats? Where are you going to be using it? there are a lot of different boats out there, so more information would be helpful in advising you.
You might also check out the trawler forum ; Trawler Forum
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 15:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Trawler or go fast? A trawler you will spend the day getting to that island 30 miles away, spend the night and spend the next day getting home to go to work on Monday.
Says the sailing boat guy
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 15:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
Says the sailing boat guy
yeah, OP needs to decide if it's the "voyage" or the "destination"!!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 12:10   #21

Voyage or destination? I believe it's both. Always enjoy going through the water but one thing we don't do enough is getting to our destinations. Wind dies down, kids are getting unhappy due to the heat or longer trip than planned, etc...
patrscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 12:35   #22

I think I have narrowed it down to three categories:
No matter what decisions I make, I believe I will still sell my sailboat. It is too much work and money for her to sit in the water or on the hard without being used, I would rather have someone use it. Apparently the average duration is 308 days. I have put about $15k in upgrades so it will show well.

1. Rinker 360 or Cruiser Yachts 3670, from 2000 to 2004. I like the room and layout, still okay on fuel consumption per specifications and reviews, attractive style and upgrade interior finishes. Second option within this category is a slightly smaller cruiser, Rinker 342 or Cruiser yachts 340, more of these models are around, better fuel consumption, less expensive but less interior room.
2. 99' to 2003 Gemini 105 Catamaran; Overall, it is a affordable catamaran and might be a great compromise for all; still sailing, there is no heeling for the kids and wife, nice room inside for overnight trips, little faster than a monohull. Although they seem to be a bear to dock and maneuver in tight spaces.
3. Continue to sell my sailboat and don't get anything. That is an option. Questions to myself is will the kids enjoy a catamaran or a powerboat, or something different. My son will love the powerboat and it would be a nice change, not being dependent on the wind forecast and if we want to go somewhere, we point the boat in the general direction and go, you can rarely do that with a sailboat unless you are motoring at 5 to 6 knots.
I am a little afraid of the fuel consumption.
How much fuel would you expect to use per season on a cruiser that burns about 1 gpm, on a average? Maybe one extended trip per summer. Do you anchor out overnight like a sailboat?
What are the activities you would do expect for motoring to one place to another?
With sailing, it's a activity in itself, just getting out on the water and sailing. Sometimes that's good and sometimes bad.
patrscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 13:12   #23

Boat: too many

patrscoe, as far as a social group of sailors and powerboaters, they don't get more social than the PDQ owners.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 13:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
I think I have narrowed it down to three categories:
No matter what decisions I make, I believe I will still sell my sailboat. It is too much work and money for her to sit in the water or on the hard without being used, I would rather have someone use it. Apparently the average duration is 308 days. I have put about $15k in upgrades so it will show well.

1. Rinker 360 or Cruiser Yachts 3670, from 2000 to 2004. I like the room and layout, still okay on fuel consumption per specifications and reviews, attractive style and upgrade interior finishes. Second option within this category is a slightly smaller cruiser, Rinker 342 or Cruiser yachts 340, more of these models are around, better fuel consumption, less expensive but less interior room.
2. 99' to 2003 Gemini 105 Catamaran; Overall, it is a affordable catamaran and might be a great compromise for all; still sailing, there is no heeling for the kids and wife, nice room inside for overnight trips, little faster than a monohull. Although they seem to be a bear to dock and maneuver in tight spaces.
3. Continue to sell my sailboat and don't get anything. That is an option. Questions to myself is will the kids enjoy a catamaran or a powerboat, or something different. My son will love the powerboat and it would be a nice change, not being dependent on the wind forecast and if we want to go somewhere, we point the boat in the general direction and go, you can rarely do that with a sailboat unless you are motoring at 5 to 6 knots.
I am a little afraid of the fuel consumption.
How much fuel would you expect to use per season on a cruiser that burns about 1 gpm, on a average? Maybe one extended trip per summer. Do you anchor out overnight like a sailboat?
What are the activities you would do expect for motoring to one place to another?
With sailing, it's a activity in itself, just getting out on the water and sailing. Sometimes that's good and sometimes bad.
a couple thoughts:
*Kids like going fast. No other "underway" entertainment often needed. They often think of it as a carnival ride.
*Usually going at cruising speed in a planing powerboat you are hanging on unless the water is flat calm. Pounding and banging if even a 2 ft chop. Ask yourself if your wife will like that.... many dont.
*No one but you can answer the fuel question. You know the usage. 1 gal a mile... a 30 mile trip , maybe 30 gallons = $130 one way
* Anchor out just like any boat if that's what you like.
* If you buy a cat or a trawler, then the kids may want entertainment aboard. but they can be a stable platform traveling at 8 knots.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 18:53   #25

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Check out the Nordic tug 32 and 37 great family boats with fuel economy and mid range speeds well made good resale and enough on used market to choose from
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, men, paracelle