Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2017, 11:30   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Ranger Tug 25

Today I drove to Daytona to look at a Ranger Tug for the very 1st time...other than on-line. Anyway my 1st impression.

Nothing hurt my eyes or hands. The boat is very nicely finished. The 25' boat is big enough for us two. This boat has the 'camper canvas' option which covers the whole back.

The boat did rock easy. I weight 185 lbs but when I got on this boat you would think I weighed 400lbs. There were hand holds where they need to be. This is a boat that (in my opinion) would be easy to fall off of you where not careful. Moving to the front of the boat there is a very thin walkway maybe 5" or 6" wide.

I came away with a thumbs up opion. This boat packs a lot of features into a small package.

Are all 25' boats this rocky? I was on one other boat, a 29' Pro-Line twin engine Center Console and it was not rocky at all.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 11:45   #2

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Re: Ranger Tug 25

totally different kind of boat. The tug is a heavy displacement hull, and the pro-line is a planing hull. A displacement hull will roll in the water, whereas a planing hull won't roll, but will try to hug the water...that makes for a much rougher ride in a sea.

The tug is going to be a lot more comfortable in seas than the pro-line, but the pro-line is designed to go much faster.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 12:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
totally different kind of boat. The tug is a heavy displacement hull, and the pro-line is a planing hull. A displacement hull will roll in the water, whereas a planing hull won't roll, but will try to hug the water...that makes for a much rougher ride in a sea.

The tug is going to be a lot more comfortable in seas than the pro-line, but the pro-line is designed to go much faster.
a 25' boat that will do 20knots is not a displacement hull.
Old 24-03-2017, 12:36   #4

Boats that small are rocky for sure. My 24 ft fast cruiser felt that way... step on the side and the boat goes down. But if the R25 tug doesn't have wide flat aft hull sections like a planing boat, yes it will tip even more. It will likely roll more in a seaway also... "death rolls". The flatter aft sections wont do that so much but will be a bit "jerky" in a seaway.
I hate the narrow walkways for sure. My 24 was that way. You anchor often, you need to get up there. I went in and out of the forward hatch on mine and actually built a short ladder that latched onto the V berth to use it. Personally, I would keep looking for a boat with wider side decks.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 12:59   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Boats that small are rocky for sure. My 24 ft fast cruiser felt that way... step on the side and the boat goes down. But if the R25 tug doesn't have wide flat aft hull sections like a planing boat, yes it will tip even more. It will likely roll more in a seaway also... "death rolls". The flatter aft sections wont do that so much but will be a bit "jerky" in a seaway.
I hate the narrow walkways for sure. My 24 was that way. You anchor often, you need to get up there. I went in and out of the forward hatch on mine and actually built a short ladder that latched onto the V berth to use it. Personally, I would keep looking for a boat with wider side decks.
Assuming the beam remains the same, wider side decks mean less interior room. You can't have both.

Every boat is a compromise and you have to make a lot of compromises on a 25' boat with an interior cabin.

I don't remember if this is an 8' 6' beam or larger but the Ranger Tugs are trailerable. Larger boats may have wider walkways but the are not likely to be trailerable, at least without special permits.

Ranger Tugs are very nice boats but you have to decide if they meet your wants and needs.
Old 24-03-2017, 13:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Assuming the beam remains the same, wider side decks mean less interior room. You can't have both.

Every boat is a compromise and you have to make a lot of compromises on a 25' boat with an interior cabin.

I don't remember if this is an 8' 6' beam or larger but the Ranger Tugs are trailerable. Larger boats may have wider walkways but the are not likely to be trailerable, at least without special permits.

Ranger Tugs are very nice boats but you have to decide if they meet your wants and needs.
Yeah, everything a compromise, but realistically, if there is no interior walking area under the wider sidedecks, not much loss but kitchen cabinetry. (ie: sailboat)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interiorloss.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	143868  

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 03:15   #7

The Ranger Tugs are only 8 1/2 feet wide. Yes, that is because they are all trailerable without special permits. The R21', R23', R25', R27', R29', R32' are all 8.5' beams and are all trailerable. (Talk about 2' itis)

I have read on some center console boats the hull design has features to keep it from rolling. Probably a flat(ish) stern area on the back 3rd of the boat.

I am seeing the compromises that need to be made. Bigger cabin equal small walkways.

I will say that the Halifax Marina in Daytona Beach Florida is the nicest marina I have ever been to. On the surface everything looked good.
Old 25-03-2017, 06:25   #8

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Rangers 25 and 27 have an 8.5' beam. 29 and 31 are wider.

Just about any 8.5 wide boat will rock if you stand on the side. Part of the deal if you want trailerable without a permit.

Also part of the deal is narrower side decks - wider ones would take up a significant percentage of interior space on an 8.5 beam boat. With good non-slip surfaces and handholds, as on our 26x8.5 Bounty, making your way to the bow is no big deal - but do keep one hand on the boat.
NewMoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 07:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
Rangers 25 and 27 have an 8.5' beam. 29 and 31 are wider.

Just about any 8.5 wide boat will rock if you stand on the side. Part of the deal if you want trailerable without a permit.

Also part of the deal is narrower side decks - wider ones would take up a significant percentage of interior space on an 8.5 beam boat. With good non-slip surfaces and handholds, as on our 26x8.5 Bounty, making your way to the bow is no big deal - but do keep one hand on the boat.
You would want to keep one hand on the boat even if the side decks were 3' wide. Our boat has relatively narrow side decks but a large, open saloon. For many of us boaters, it's a good tradeoff. For others, it may not be. That's why they make different styles of boats for different boaters.

Ranger Tug has its market and they are nice boats. There's a 29' next to me that's for sale.
Old 25-03-2017, 08:13   #10

NewMoon - you are correct, the 29' and 32' are on a 10' beam.

Thanks, I learned something!!! Again, thanks.

There are plenty of hand holds on the R25. But with a rolling boat I can see myself (the can do) mindset that I could fall off this boat. I need a new mindset to teather myself anytime I get outside on the boat...

I fall off the boat, the boat drifts away faster than I can swim and I am fish food. I will be by myself some of the time as I love boats more than other people that are not on this forum.
Old 25-03-2017, 08:29   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

This ranger 21 next to our 38' DIRT FREE makes our boat look huge.
Old 25-03-2017, 10:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
NewMoon - you are correct, the 29' and 32' are on a 10' beam.

Thanks, I learned something!!! Again, thanks.

There are plenty of hand holds on the R25. But with a rolling boat I can see myself (the can do) mindset that I could fall off this boat. I need a new mindset to teather myself anytime I get outside on the boat...

I fall off the boat, the boat drifts away faster than I can swim and I am fish food. I will be by myself some of the time as I love boats more than other people that are not on this forum.
My suggestion is to not get on the side deck if the boat is rolling that badly.

You're not going to be docking in seas like that and you probably won't be anchoring unless you have a mechanical problem.

If you simply must get to the foredeck, use the hatch from the V berth. Stop the boat, take it out of gear, wear a PFD and tie your self to the boat. If you have someone with you, leave the boat in gear and have them keep the bow into the waves.
Old 25-03-2017, 10:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
This ranger 21 next to our 38' DIRT FREE makes our boat look huge.

There's one of those in my marina and the guy that owns it weighs about 300 lb. It does rock when he climbs onboard.
Old 25-03-2017, 11:40   #14

Yikes, that sure does look like a tiny Ranger Tug.
Old 25-03-2017, 12:12   #15

There are "rockers" and there are "rollers", Here's the difference:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022616f-400x250.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	143910   Click image for larger version

Name:	stock-photo-stern-of-a-small-wooden-boat-544968868.jpg
Views:	234