Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2012, 18:44   #1

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
Question for Cruising Trawlers

I have a question for the trawlers/powerbooats that have been hopping to the Bahamas and/or Caribbean. How was the ratio of power to sail boats? Was it an issue? Were you singled out or were there special issues or restrictions you needed to make note of? What about anchorages? Could you stay in close quarters with the blow-boats or did you set outside their space?

We are looking forward to going in a couple of years Just looking forward.

Tom-
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 18:52   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Question for cruising trawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
What about anchorages? Could you stay in close quarters with the blow-boats
The question is why would you want to anchor close to anyone ?

Quote:
or did you set outside their space?

I didn't realise they had special privileges and areas
Old 26-03-2012, 19:02   #3

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I've noticed monhulss at least often have a different swing, and sometimes lay at a different angle to the wind and waves as my power boat. Not a problem just something to be aware of.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 19:27   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I have a sailboat, and have only singled out someone based on their generator usage, has nothing to do with the type of boat their on.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 19:34   #5

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I have a sailboat, and have only singled out someone based on their generator usage, has nothing to do with the type of boat their on.
This goes along with wind-gens, Honda-gens, load music, underwater lights, strobe anchor lights, etc. It's not the type of boat
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 19:46   #6

I don't get this blow boat, stink boat, mono, cat stuff. I have cruised extensively for the last few years and find the company of fellow cruisers no matter what they helm enjoyable. The only difference I have noticed is the local boaters tend to be a bit less congenial, but I put this down to them only having a day or two of R&R. The cruisers do tend to bump into each other at different locations and its nice to catch up, If everybody is thoughtful of each other and stop driving a wedge between differing styles of being on the water every one gets along......except f%$*ing jet skis.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 18:02   #7

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'

I guess I worded it poorly. I'm not trying to drive a wedge at all... I see a lot of pics of anchorages and there are VERY few, if any, powerboats on the shot. I'm curious about close quarters in popular anchor spots and what, if anything, we should expect in these places. There has to be some guidelines or best practices that powerboats and power boaters should follow.

I know that we'll be accepted by most all of the people (we aren't fooling ourselves that SOME broad-brushes are used by a few and there is still some healthy ribbing between the camps). We berth in a sailing area, so we know how we all get along. I am just making chit-chat about the future expectations. That'a all.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 18:14   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie and I have been to a lot of anchorages there !In both sail and Motor vessels, both with gennys ! I try to have as silent a genny as possible, But Ive never worried about others staying or going from around me ! as Ive had to leave places because of Loud Music and other reasons. It's just part of the cruiseing way!! most of us try to polite as we can ! but we have a genny for our own comfort and worked hard to be able to do this ! I think from what Ive seen most others feel the same way !! Just my 2 cents
Old 27-03-2012, 18:36   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
I guess I worded it poorly. I'm not trying to drive a wedge at all... I see a lot of pics of anchorages and there are VERY few, if any, powerboats on the shot. I'm curious about close quarters in popular anchor spots and what, if anything, we should expect in these places. There has to be some guidelines or best practices that powerboats and power boaters should follow.

I know that we'll be accepted by most all of the people (we aren't fooling ourselves that SOME broad-brushes are used by a few and there is still some healthy ribbing between the camps). We berth in a sailing area, so we know how we all get along. I am just making chit-chat about the future expectations. That'a all.
There are no "camps" among true cruisers. I, for one, will come aboard for cocktails on that fly-deck any time!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:11   #10

Boat: 1986 35' Senator Sundeck - Skinny Dippin'
Re: Question for Cruising Trawlers

What I want to know is where are all the trawlers/powerboats in all the beautiful pictures?

It's true, sailboats swing with current, and powerboats swing with wind, we already know that part. But the lack of photos make it look like there just aren't any non-sailing vessels out there! Where are they??
BessLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:33   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We have cruised the bahamas in the boat pictured in my avatar and never had a problem except with catamarans. ( not bashing cats, I like them) but they react very differently to mono power or sail so in a tight anchorage I stay a little further away from them than monos of either stripe.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:25   #12

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Well the lack of trawlers at cruising anchorages is more about the type of person who buys a trawler and doesn't have much to do with the boat itself. And of course the word trawler has a lot of meanings. Most "trawlers" wouldn't be considered passagemakers in the Bebe tradition.

People who buy trawlers (generally speaking- of course there are exceptions) are not full time cruisers. They are locals out for a weekend or a week's vacation on their boat. They often stay at marinas. That is why you don't see trawlers in Caribbean pictures or the Bahamas or even many in the coastal US waters.

That will change of course as more relatively afluent retirees buy real or close to real trawlers and venture to the Bahamas and the Caribbean. But I suspect the ratio of trawlers to sailboats in any anchorage will always be low.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:45   #13

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

The pictures with 1-2 trawlers per 50-100 sailboats are a pretty good representation of the total cross section of boats out there. In our travels over a 7 month period in the western caribbean, we ran into no more than 6-8 power vessels vs. hundreds of sailboats.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:45   #14

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

There are many more sails than trawlers in the Bahamas. We've been cruising the Bahamas for years on our 48' trawler. We anchor almost exclusively and have had no trouble with space at all. In fact, why would you want to be very close to other boats?
Old 04-04-2012, 20:12   #15

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I can explain why MY Mainship is not in the Bahamas right now GA$$. At 2-3$/gal no problem, 4-5$ a gal, I can't afford to take it more than 100 miles from my dock. Some Texas to Florida trips were in my short term plans when gas was a little cheaper, now a Carribean trip,...No way.

I'm still planning to go, but it will be in a sailboat.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising