Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 13:11   #1

prop protection

I'm overdue for a haul out and bottom paint. The last time I used Davis Slick Seam on my props and shafts. Even when heated it wasn't much fun applying. I'll learn how well it performed once I haul out I suppose. But I've been sending divers down every 10 months or so to replace my anodes and they say everything looks reasonably fine each time.
I'm moored right beside a boat yard that works on large boats to mega yachts. Some owners chose the paint method ( looks like grey primer). But the shiny gold stuff seems to be the popular choice. I believe it could be Propspeed. I suppose it depends on where these moster boats are headed and how often they are pulled out for recoating.
I'm a liveaboard in the Pacific Northwest. For the last 5 years I really haven't left my mooring much at all. That might change this year, but mostly I will be moored to the dock.
With that in mind does anyone have suggestions for suitable prop and shaft protector that will work for perhaps 3 years?
Thanks for any and all replies
Cheers
seatotaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 13:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
prop protection

In honesty if you stay in one place for long periods, nothing beats a black plastic garbage bag over the prop, nothing grows inside of the bag.

I’d also hang a “guppy zinc” connected to the engine itself, but if zincs are lasting 10 months, you don’t have a problem with that.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 13:47   #3

Re: prop protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In honesty if you stay in one place for long periods, nothing beats a black plastic garbage bag over the prop, nothing grows inside of the bag.

I’d also hang a “guppy zinc” connected to the engine itself, but if zincs are lasting 10 months, you don’t have a problem with that.
I have heard of the garbage bag trick. However I do go to the fuel dock to empty my black water tank and get a bit of fuel for running my engines from time to time. Problem with the garbage bags is that I'm not a diver so I can't remove or reinstall them easily.
The shaft anodes seem to be doing their job so I'm not so much concerned about protection from corrosion on the shafts and props as I am about build up of barnacles, if I chose to go cruising occasionally this summer.
I also have a huge overboard anode that is connected to one of my strut bolts in my lazarette. In theory I believe everything is bonded to each other but I'll be doing a continuity check when it's out to make sure I haven't lost that continuity somewhere.
Old 09-03-2019, 13:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use to dive but now use a hookah rig (small compressor, hose & mask or mouth piece) to change zincs, etc. In the PNW you'd need a wet suit or dry suit.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 14:53   #5

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Do some research into ultrasonic antifouling. Here is a discussion about it. Check the last few pages since it goes forever.

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/b....30066/page-12
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 19:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
Do some research into ultrasonic antifouling. Here is a discussion about it. Check the last few pages since it goes forever.

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/b....30066/page-12
I really don't have any knowledge of local people who have tried the ultrasonic antifouling. So I'm just going by what I can find on line. Interestingly, Practical Sailor did some tests on it in 2012 and found it very disappointing.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...e_10858-1.html
Old 24-03-2019, 05:16   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatotaler View Post
Some owners chose the paint method ( looks like grey primer).
The grey stuff could be Petit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrrier; at least that's kinda what it looks like. We've been using that on shafts and props for several years now, works pretty well.

There's also a Rust-O-Leum product that is said to be the same stuff according to the MSDS (which I haven't reviewed) for even less $$$.

-Chris
Old 24-03-2019, 08:19   #8

I've read about and watched videos on lanocote. I haven't read any reports of it not working. So I'm wondering what's the difference between lanocote and pure lanolin?
One advantage of lanocote or lanolin is that it can be applied while under water. So since divers are sent down every 10 months or so to replace all the anodes, it would make sense to recoat the shafts and props at the same time. Any other method of prop and shaft protection would have to wait 3 years before the next haul out. It would be interesting to know what it looked like after 10 months.
I'm wondering if the divers would use rags and scrapers perhaps to try and get off the old lanocote or lanolin that might have some growth on it by then.
My next thought is what would cause it to break down. Would the shaft and prop rotation cause it to fling off so to say? I may try coating one shaft and prop with lanocote and the other shaft and prop with pure lanolin.
Old 24-03-2019, 09:24   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lanacote and others like it, work sort of.
The growth still happens but it’s easier to scrape off, however motor just once and the coating is gone.
I used to use a product that was based on it and applied monthly when I cleaned the bottom, however I quit because dealing with a glop of grease underwater and then having to clean your hands off etc just wasn’t worth it.
My prop has been for five years coated with nothing, it’s just bare, and even in the Bahamas it’s just not that bad a job to scrape it clean, less than five minutes.

However if I lived in cold water, I’d be way more motivated and would try prop speed or something.
Old 24-03-2019, 09:47   #10

I have heard that propspeed is quite specific to exacting application without any variation to time frame and procedure.

So would there be any advantage or perhaps disadvantage of spraying Pettit prop coat barnacle barrier on the props and shafts. Then applying lanocote or lanolin over top of it?
Old 24-03-2019, 10:57   #11

Boat: Valiant 40
prop protection

Prop speed is great when it works. And whether it works or not is a matter of how expertly it’s applied and the age/contamination of the primer and coating.

I had it done four years ago and it worked miraculously. It was out of a brand new kit. Then last year I had it done by the same guy and watched him do it. He’d clearly done it 100 times and worked quickly and precisely, and was careful in cleaning and resealing the containers, which were already open. The coating failed within six months.

I had thought about buying a kit, which would probably do a dozen applications, and doing it myself in future but if it’s subject to contamination/oxidation or whatever it’s not worth it.
Old 24-03-2019, 14:22   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"My next thought is what would cause it [lanolin] to break down."

Well, since lanolin is a water-soluble grease from sheep, very roughly similar to the water-soluble wax in human ears, simply being IN THE WATER will cause it to be dissolved away.

Like bee's wax candles, they still work, they do the job, but there ARE reasons why folks have tried to find better ways to do it.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 14:37   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

At best, the lanolin or other similar coating will make it easier for you to scrape the prop. It’s not going to fling off growth just from a spinning prop.
Your still going to have to scrape the prop.

Apparently there are some coatings that you don’t have to, but lanolin isn’t one of those.

Tags
rot