Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 19:48   #16

Thats a little less desirable. LOL

I'm certainly continuing to look for a trawler much like this one, or a tug style cruiser. I only plan to cruise my river system and not much more than a 2 night trip.
Fiveflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 20:08   #17

! have a Mason boat its a cabin cruiser,,,it has a 3.8 v6 in it,,how would i find the year of this boat,,,its all made of mahogany,,,24 ft long
jpault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 20:53   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpault View Post
! have a Mason boat its a cabin cruiser,,,it has a 3.8 v6 in it,,how would i find the year of this boat,,,its all made of mahogany,,,24 ft long
It's on the registration/title. If you don't have a title then it's time to register it and fill out a lost title form.
Old 03-11-2010, 15:18   #19

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
If you can't afford much and are handy with remodeling, buy a rental unit and fix it up, or maybe an apartment building, wait ten years, sell it and buy a Nordhavn. It will be a lot less work, and you may have enough left over to go cruising for the rest of your life.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 18:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
If you can't afford much and are handy with remodeling, buy a rental unit and fix it up, or maybe an apartment building, wait ten years, sell it and buy a Nordhavn. It will be a lot less work, and you may have enough left over to go cruising for the rest of your life.
A Nordhavn is not at all what I'm looking for though. I live inland and only want something small and as a "workboat" because I'm only cruising the California Delta. I might consider a short cruise out to McCovey Cove in San Francisco, but that would be the lengthiest of any trip I take.
Old 03-11-2010, 18:46   #21

If your just going to stay in the delta you will do fine with just about anything that floats, a beautiful area with no seas or dangers, and great places to hang out. My favorite is Suisun City.
If you go out the gate, you're talking a whole other boat.
Good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:02   #22

Well, I'm certainly not eager to buy the first thing and pops up and get overwhelmed with a ton of work, but something that needs work and has a little salty character is what I want.

Here's another I found that has a well running Perkins, glass hull and needs just a little cleaning up in the cabin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	28 ft c.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	20787
Old 04-11-2010, 10:07   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Lovely

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:14   #24

Less work is better, but they both look great.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:08   #25

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
The lines look a little like an old Monterey troller that used to run out of Moss Landing.... beautiful little boats and very seaworthy for their size... good luck!
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 14:59   #26

The second one is a double ended 28' monterey clipper. It not quite as clean as that photo makes it out to be, but that's just cleaning.
Structurally, the hull is glass and sound. So is the motor. The cabin and forward deck are plywood and has soft spots but doesn't leak...
Old 04-11-2010, 15:31   #27

it was regitered as a home made,,,,the guy did it to save a lot of problem when registering it,,,,its just that i want to tune it up and don't know the year of the engine,,,,must be in the 70s or 80s it looks original,,,,it looks like the boat on Gilligan Island and in top shape,,,,anybody have any clues,,,,,,,ty
jpault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 17:06   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
I could be wrong but the original Monterey Clippers (trollers) were made from wood. Many from Port Orford cedar with oak ribs. They are difficult to find in good condition if at all. Looks like some one used the lines and reproduced the hull in fiberglass... more durable, easier to maintain. If you can buy it right you'll have a fun project and eye catching little vessel. The only 'oldie but goodie' I've seen had an old Easthope engine, a one banger' that you decompressed and swung the big flywheel on the front of the engine, then hit the compression lever to kick her over. Very popular back in the 40's and 50's, would run forever on a teacup of fuel.
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 20:42   #29

Capt Phil,
There are many original Monterey Clippers still running at Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco. Likely not in tip top shape as they are used still commercially, but they are around and used. Yes, this is a newer fiberglass replica - of course that is just fine with me.

jpault -
You would be best suited if you created your own thread to avoid any confusion in this one.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:50   #30

Boat: Downeast Flybridge - 45 Grace
Go with a boat that is running. You can find boats that are under 15K and running. If engine and hull is in good shape, everything else you can take care of it. Little at the time. We bought our girl for 12.5, turn key. Needs bottom job and updating inside and outside. Bottom job will be done first, and everything else we'll work on it as we live on her.

Tags
trawler