Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2007, 14:57   #61
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973
I was going to say, there aren't (sadly) any new Gardners... But they're still around and "supported", so to speak. The parts and service was taken over by somebody (same family, I believe). I know someone who is repowering a 1929 Boeing yacht (Deerleap) with a pair of fully rebuilt ones. One came from Canada, and one from England, and they really didn't cost a heck of a lot. I'll ask him for the contact info and post it.

US emissions standards are according to the year of the boat, so no worries there.
Old 30-07-2007, 04:14   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Gardner Marine Diesels Ltd. ~ gardner-marine-diesels.co.uk/
Tel: +44(0)7714 752317
Fax: +44(0)1227 780846
Email: info@gardnermarinediesels.com
Web: Gardner Marine Diesels

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 09:07   #63
learningcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I don't need to hear all of these opinions about what you think is right or wrong. Frankly, I don't care. I live at sea and most of you don't. Your advice is theorectical at best.
Quite presumtive!

Quote:
I realize this is way WAY over your heads since many of you are land dwellers and haven't worked in a professional capacity at sea.
Programming Oracle databases? No, I havent done that. But I can do SQL Server with a high speed sat connection from sea. Does that count?

Quote:
Sorry to go off, but I'm tired of people chiming in about "I think your plans stinks."
Be careful, I am hearing some "holier than thou" echoing in your comments. (i.e. "This is WAY over your heads"). Maybe you were being sarcastic.

Sorry Sean, but I am going to call you on this one. You have so many posts on this forum announcing all sorts of projects some of us have to roll our eyes. You still have your Gulfstar, and a loan, which you tried to run as a B&B and now have for sale (which I dont understand, that is a NICE boat and should sell quickly at that price). You request a crew for delivery to Australia at the first sign of a possible sale. You are (still?) looking for a lobster boat to turn into a liveaboard. Last I heard, you were undecided between wood, glass, or steel. Now this Navy surplus thing? Moreover, your latest "plan" tends to be presented as almost as if a "done deal" (my interpretation). You tend to talk about final price (if I can get it for X it might be worth it). Now IMHO, to seriously consider price means most everything else is thought through and you are REALLY serious. And these are just the threads I have read. I dont visit here that much, if only to glance at the front page.

Nothing personal Sean, but go back and re-read a lot of these "possible project" threads you started and maybe you will see my point of view.

FWIW we have never met/exchanged messages, and I am not going to try and wow/justify/impress you or anyone by listing my computer techie, boat maintenance, construction, seamanship skills, or how much "captain" hours I have. But...

This is the internet and people can post just about anything. Some people feel they have to post continually (for whatever reason, insecurity? gives them reason for being?, dunno, I suppose psychologists might know). But, in turn, people are going to post back, possibly in a manner you might not care for (maybe this post). Best to ignore it and refrain from eating up (even) more bandwith. Perhaps begin by ignoring this post . If it is information you want in these threads you start, prehaps refrain from responding emotionally in the same thread?

Seems there are just as many, if not more, "Interesting project Sean!"-like reponses as there are "I think your plans stinks." Why not accept that and chill?

How about posting some pics of all these projects you got going on?

-lc
Old 30-07-2007, 13:13   #64
cruiser

To update...I'm in VA right now and will be inspecting the vessel in the AM.

To respond to learning curve (I'm not one to back away from a challenge) - it's odd that someone with such a screen name does not apprecaite the very process he adopted as a screen name.

I didn't know you followed my little posts so intently as to be listing each off... very impressive. I don't even know what they all were, but it seems you have been keeping track.

Did it not occur to you that each thread was related? Asking fibergass over wood (fishing boats) vs steel (surplus boats and other fishing boats)? Looking at fishing boats (which are fiberglass over wood)?
This thread about repowering a large steel boat (govt boat and others on my short list that are without power)? Did you think each of these was unrelated?

Anyway, if you're following my life so well, you'd see I was doing Oracle DBs for a bit in Jersey over the winter on a contract basis. The reason? I needed some winter work and I have a pretty extensive background in software development. I had a small sofware company in Manhattan that was put to rest by 9/11. It was at that point I took my 20+ years of sailing experience and turned it into a bit of a career. I was Mate on megayacht as a professional job at sea, not to mention charter captain. I hold a 100 Ton Masters with Sailing Endorsement and STCW-95 (required to work on the big boats in the megayacht industry).

If you must know all the details of my life (since you can't seem to piece it together by following the threads): We had violent drunks and cokeheads aboard our home while chartering last summer. The police had to take them off. For that reason, my wife and I decided chartering is not for us. Chartering was how we were to pay off the Gulfstar. Since there is no more chartering, there is no more Gulfstar for us. Make sense? Should we have a conference call so I can really bring you up to speed on my life? Why the HELL do you even care enough to write all that crap in the previous post? More importantly, why the HELL do I find the need to defend myself?

What a whiney, fluffy forum this can be sometimes. Ugh. It's nice that we have some real info on here from real (and experienced people) to even it out a bit.

So what I'm saying in my previous rant is: When people hijack a thread that asks a pretty straight forward question, when they clearly have no professional background or information to add to the answer... that is just wrong. It's all fluff and has little to no value. Attacking the project isn't productive or helpful.

PS: So what pictures would you like to see? Here are the ones of the Gulfstar I redid for our B&B On The Water:

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

How about the news story that sold us out for the season, shown to all 5 boros in NYC as well as upstate NY (more than 3 million viewers)?

http://real.ny1.com:8080/ramgen/real4/0017EA9A_060705_145059hi.rm

Travel With Val : Travel Videos

Need me to include photos of my megayacht service? My business in Manhattan? Me sitting down doing some Oracle dev? Photos of the wife? ha ha ha

What other evidence would you like?

Maybe I can scan my Masters License and put that up here for you too?

The books from the charter business? Some notes from the people that enjoyed their stay?

Just let me know... I'll post up whatever you need. ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 14:22   #65
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"We had violent drunks and cokeheads aboard our home while chartering last summer. The police had to take them off. "
And you didn't tell us anything about it?

See now, if you'd called your friends online instead of the locals, we could have told you how to stun them, tie them up, rob their assets and then dispose of their bodies all legally and safely at sea, and you'd have that boat all paid off by now.

I'm still curious to know, what and how does it cost to get a 56' barge transported up from VA to ME? Or would you really try to move down, repower it, and then make the trip under your own power? Or better yet...there's got to be a way to get PAID for moving it north, no? Get a beer company as a sponsor, fancy paint job and dock it in hot spots every weekend on the way up giving out free samples?<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 20:11   #66

Quote:
We had violent drunks and cokeheads aboard our home while chartering last summer.
They were probably just pissed at their bill from the American Hotel.

Aquatic B&B. Neat idea. I've got a place in North Haven that you could probably see from where you anchored. I don't rent it out short term for the very reason you stopped chartering.

I must say, you are giving up a lot to go live on an eyesore while you try to make it presentable. Beautiful boat.

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 23:42   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
OK Kids, ya all play nice now ya hear. Sorry Sean, but this is what a Forum is all about. You have a right to pose a question, but everyone else has a right to give their point of view. Not all points of view are going to be what the poster wants to hear, but you just glaze over those and read what you want to take away with you.
You have to remember that it's a two way street. The poster doesn't tell the entire story, so the reader doesn't get to hear the entire story. There has to be a lot of give and take by both parties.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 02:39   #68

Shaun, I thought you wanted to go cruising, not fixing up a hulk? Put that 30k into a small boat and get out of the States before you come even more bitter. Tone it down brother and chill out. Cruising people are not impressed by captain's licenses or qualifications.
Old 31-07-2007, 06:14   #69

Can't you be more selctive in chartering and do some side gigs and keep the Gulfstar? You have so much work in there... will you be able to recover it?

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 14:10   #70
cruiser

Outbid

I was outbid on the vessel in question.

So... I guess LearningCurve will have a little more ammo for his "you always change you plans, Sean" schtick.
Old 01-08-2007, 14:53   #71

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Bummer, Sean. I hate it when you get your hopes up for something cool ("cool" is, obviously, different things to different people, heh) and then the rugs get pulled out from under you. It happens to me a lot, on eBay, invariably with less than 60 seconds to go.

I am sure the right vessel is out there for ya Sean. Keep rolling with the punches and sooner or later a good one will land in your lap.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 15:47   #72
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973
Want a fresh copy of Boats and Harbors?
Old 01-08-2007, 18:28   #73
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngNate
Want a fresh copy of Boats and Harbors?

Nate, is the paper edition different from what I see in the online edition?

I ask because I saw a few possibilities online, but not a huge number of boats for sale at the website.
Old 01-08-2007, 18:32   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef
Can't you be more selctive in chartering and do some side gigs and keep the Gulfstar? You have so much work in there... will you be able to recover it?

jef
sv shiva
Hey Jef,

I appreciate your input. Unfortunately, keeping the Gulfstar means losing $60K. You'd have to work a lot of hours (years) to make $60K after taxes...

The faster route to making $60K (or at least not losing it) is to part with the Gulfstar and get the commercial vessel with no loan. We need to put finances and intended use before luxury.

Doing a commercial vessel should net us $60K, no monthy expenses AND a boat to live and work from, which makes life a whole lot nicer.
Old 14-01-2011, 20:11   #75

Go for it!!! Half the fun of living is doing something when everyone says you are crazy. But you would be crazy without a very good 'commercial' rated surveyor. But if the hull and other systems are sound ....

I would repower the boat with the original setup if possible. I did not see that you said it was a single screw or a twin. A single Cat 3208NA w/ 210 hp would last forever w/ the fuel burn below 5 gal/hr (probably 130 hp at 1800rpm if propped correctly). That is what I have in my 36 grand banks. I would put in 2 if it was a twin setup w/ about 5 knots cruise. Best bang for your buck is deisel and mechanical drive. I would get a 12kw Generator and a deisel fired hydronic heat system ... but I would put an oversize alternator on one main to use as a backup for your battery bank. Make sure to keep the fuel clean ... I would not use the original tanks without extensive cleaning .. and new fuel distribution.
fogleew is offline   Reply With Quote