Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2014, 16:44   #1

Powercatamaran Models

Hi,
what power-catamaran boats can you recommend me (manufacturer/model) for cruising of 80% and doing cross-atlantic trips (blue water) only 20% of the time (like once every 2 years)?
My budget is 150k, looking for used boat in good conditions.

Thanks in advance
nulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 17:05   #2

Re: powercatamaran models

What's the punch line?...because you can't really be serious.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 17:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I don't think there is a cruising cat with Trans-Atlantic range. It there is I would be shocked if it was available for anything less than $500,000.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 17:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I don't think there is a cruising cat with Trans-Atlantic range. It there is I would be shocked if it was available for anything less than $500,000.
well, if there is a Catana for 500k of year 2006
2006 Catana Power Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
then a 1996 year older boat may be worth much less

p.s.
no punch lines
Old 18-10-2014, 18:03   #5

here a 400k boat of year 2008
2008 Flash Cat 43 Fisher Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
but how can I say can it hold a cross atlantic move ?
the fuel tanks are 2 of 700 liters, the same capacity as Catana, so ... is it blue water ready ?
I am sure there are older boats for much lower price than these ones.

How do I identify if a boat is good for blue water ? what does it has to have ?
Old 18-10-2014, 18:15   #6

and here a Fountain Pajot for 115k (2007) , afaik Fountain Pajots are blue water ready cats:

2007 Fountaine Pajot Highland 35 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

just have to fill the boat with lots of extra fuel

so...., any expert opinion on my case ?
thanks in advance!
Old 18-10-2014, 18:53   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Powercatamaran Models

You have to have a bigger boat and a bigger budget for a 2000 mile range. That little FP would struggle with the weight of the extra fuel. 100 gallons extra of diesel is 720 pounds on top of the already full regular tanks. Also the little ones are coastal cruisers so don't have to be built to the higher standards. These are the rating classes.
A) Open Ocean, waves > 4m, Wind strength > Beaufort 8
B) Offshore, waves <=4m,Wind strength Beaufort <= 8
C) Inshore, waves <=2m, Wind strength Beaufort <= 6
D) Sheltered waters, waves <=.3 with temporary ability to withstand <=.5m, Wind strength Beaufort <= 4

Here's a million dollar cat that is super efficient and has a 2000 mile range. Most boats would use more fuel than this one.
Maine Cat P-47 - Maine Cat Catamarans

However $100K will get you a nice capable monohull sailboat that can do it.
Old 18-10-2014, 20:15   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The Catana 44 is specced at 1000nm range with 1600L of fuel. At a distance of about 3000nm, and requiring a 15% reserve you need to figure out how to fit an additional 3,680L of fuel. So you just need to figure out where to store an additional 7,000lbs of diesel fuel. They are nice boats, but doesn't have near the range to make a Trans-Atlantic crossing safely.

The FP again is built with a specced 1000nm range.

I don't know the range of the Flashcat, but with twin 300+hp engines and less fuel than the other boats it also will lack the range.

Guys I don't have a problem with power cats, (I own two) or cruising cats (love them), but none of these boats are even close to what the OP asked for.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 20:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The Catana 44 is specced at 1000nm range with 1600L of fuel. At a distance of about 3000nm,
You don't have to cross the Atlantic as everybody does from Miami to Spain. You can do it from Brazil to Sierra Leone and that is only 1500nm . And then you cross back from Alaska to Russia. So, you don't need to store so much fuel, the Catana 44 will do it fine with fuel storage.
Old 18-10-2014, 20:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulik View Post
You can do it from Brazil to Sierra Leone and that is only 1500nm
and if you go from Natal (Brasil) to Praia (Cabo Verde islands) thats only 1400 nm
Old 18-10-2014, 21:00   #11

Even at 1500miles, you are going to want more like a 2000mile range in case weather or currents are against you and there aren't any production cats in your price range set up for that kind of range.

Of course if you are going to divert all the way to brazil, just pay the money to have it shipped. It will probably be cheaper.

Then again since you seem to have it all figured out, why did you ask?

I'm still waiting for the punch line.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 05:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Of course if you are going to divert all the way to brazil, just pay the money to have it shipped. It will probably be cheaper.
o man! you are a genius. how couldn't I think about it. Of course, I can buy a low end cruiser boat and ship it to Africa's closest point so I could cruise in the other side of the globe. I have no real need in doing trans-atlantic trip but only to get to the other continent.
Problem solved
Old 19-10-2014, 07:00   #13

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

A lot of the South African built cats, both power and sail are delivered on their own bottom. I read an article in Power multihulls magazine a few years ago about a smaller Moorings model about 37ft that made the trip, the story indicated that that's how they were all delivered. I believe they carried extra fuel over and above the tankage. A lot of boats when making a longer trip carry extra fuel, even sailboats. I doubt you will find anything for 150k though unless you can find an older custom or homebuilt boat, nothing wrong with that if you can find one.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 07:16   #14

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Those SA cats go by way of St. Helena which is still 1950 miles from Capetown and then on to the east coast of Brazil which is around 1250 miles. They might go up the African coast for another refuel before making the hop to St. Helena. They do carry lots of extra fuel. If done at the right time of the year it's known as a downhill run because the trades help push you along most of the way.
Old 19-10-2014, 07:50   #15

Nulik
I'm confused when you first started posting you were looking for a 30k sail boat to sail the world but you have no experience, you said you chartered a sailboat but that was to boring.
So now you are looking at power cats to make trans Atlantic crossing but you still have no experience, when you are informed that it would be hard to find a catamaran in your price range you got all defensive and started naming routes with shorter distances to justify your budget, again no experience. Do you understand what is classified as a bluewater power boat?
I have to question your sanity, if you are serious than listen to what other boaters are telling you , buy a coastal boat do north and south America, then ship it to Europe and boat there . If you think this is not suitable then buy your 150,000 boat grab 10 jerry cans and point east. I get the impression that until you get the answer that you want to hear you are not going to be happy. The way I figure it you will either make it or not.
rob67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, model