Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-06-2013, 06:21   #16

Boat: Catalina 34
Re: Powerboat Cuisers with Kids?

Paying for fuel AND kids makes the two mutually exclusive on our cruising budget.

In all seriousness, I always love to hear about parents who are taking their kids cruising (whether on a powerboat, sailboat or other) and think it's a great choice.

Old 19-06-2013, 06:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave0549jv View Post
Greetings from another powerboater. My family used to spend weeks at a time on our beamy 28 foot aft cabin cruiser with no problems at all, but then there were only 4 of us.

Are you going to be living aboard? What sort of cruising do you plan on doing? Are you thinking of something with a bit of speed, or more of a slow and steady trawler?
Hey Dave,
Thanks for responding. We would like to travel internationally. Definitely a trawler. Size has been a tough choice. We are brand new to boating. I have never owned a boat at all. Normally folks start small to learn, but with 5 kids and 2 adults, sometimes 3 adults, it won't be possible for us to get a small boat. Small would be fine for vacations, but we will liveaboard. Also, my kids are soon to be teens, so we really need the space. Problem is, how much space?

Old 26-06-2013, 17:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I tried posting this somewhere else with no luck.

Wondering if there are motor cruisers out there with kids? It seems that everyone is on a sailboat. Can you please share the ages of your kids, family and boat size.

We are currently trying to choose a motorboat for our family including 5 kids. trying to see what size others are comfortable in. Thanks.
GG,

We are currently living aboard and planning a three year trip on our custom steel trawler. We're a 55 foot boat, two staterooms with one kid at home (11 years old) and the other at college, visiting during breaks.

We've been planning our trip from San Diego to Maine and back for the past couple of years and are heading south with the FUBAR group out of So Cal in November.

I do agree, few posts on this site and others about kids, maybe they are too busy having fun to read forums?
Old 28-06-2013, 19:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsysol View Post
GG,

We are currently living aboard and planning a three year trip on our custom steel trawler. We're a 55 foot boat, two staterooms with one kid at home (11 years old) and the other at college, visiting during breaks.

We've been planning our trip from San Diego to Maine and back for the past couple of years and are heading south with the FUBAR group out of So Cal in November.

I do agree, few posts on this site and others about kids, maybe they are too busy having fun to read forums?
That's awesome! Maybe your right, that they are having to much fun (hope so). Have a great time on your trip. Maybe we will bump into you someplace Thanks for responding. I love hearing that there are cruisers out there with kids.
Old 28-06-2013, 19:47   #20
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
With 5 kids, nothing less than 80 feet.

There is an 80 foot Hatteras on yacht world for $389000. Three staterooms plus crew quarters. Unless you get something oddball like a converted shrimp boat, best to look for an older Hatteras, Burger or Stephens that needs a remodel. You will get a lot of room for your money and the old boats are built solid. Just avoid ones with major issues

i stopped reading after this one.
i have come across powerboats that are in the 40-45' range that will fit 5 kids, two adults, and friends too.
Old 29-06-2013, 07:50   #21

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i stopped reading after this one.
i have come across powerboats that are in the 40-45' range that will fit 5 kids, two adults, and friends too.

We might be able to handle 4 guests (6 total on-board) on our 42... for about one night. Under duress. After that, visitors are invited to take a hike.

-Chris
Old 29-06-2013, 08:46   #22

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

The key is what is ment by cruise. We had our daughter and three grandchildren live aboard with us for two plus years. We took long weekend and some week cruises but we always tied to a dock so they could burn rub off some energy. We usually left early, six, in the morning and tried to be at our next destination around noon. While cruising we kept them occupied with video games, game boys, vcr what ever but usually they slept most of the way. Cruising can be boring even adults, Are we there yet, how much longer.

We also found bring their friends along helped but now with their phones they are calling textexting them most of the time. Anyway keep it interesting and short periods of time. Most summer we have grandchildren stay with us week months at a time.
Old 29-06-2013, 11:20   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I don't let my children play with power boat kids.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 11:24   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm surprised...... who else would allow their kids to associate with a Bene owner's kids..?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 20:57   #25

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 426

Hi GG, I have a 12 & 14 year old boy and girl with a 42' cruiser. We have not had it long enough to make any big trips yet. I have my kids part of the time and we will use it for long weekends in the area I live. I will tow my other boat, a bay boat for tubing and knee boarding and fishing. They really enjoy swimming from the swim platform and jumping off the top.
Know I foresee taking it to Orange Beach, AL or Destin, FL and putting in a slip for next summers vacation were we can enjoy the trip there and live off instead of a condo rental.
Old 15-08-2013, 11:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed O View Post
Hi GG, I have a 12 & 14 year old boy and girl with a 42' cruiser. We have not had it long enough to make any big trips yet. I have my kids part of the time and we will use it for long weekends in the area I live. I will tow my other boat, a bay boat for tubing and knee boarding and fishing. They really enjoy swimming from the swim platform and jumping off the top.
Know I foresee taking it to Orange Beach, AL or Destin, FL and putting in a slip for next summers vacation were we can enjoy the trip there and live off instead of a condo rental.
Ed,

Your kids are the same age as mine. Sounds like fun. I'm sure they will love it. Lucky kids!!!
Old 15-08-2013, 18:45   #27

Check out Three@Sea It's a little different situation with one kid and a 43' boat, but it's a power boat cruising a pretty wide range. There is a 45 min documentary coming out shortly too.
Old 15-08-2013, 18:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Check out Three@Sea It's a little different situation with one kid and a 43' boat, but it's a power boat cruising a pretty wide range. There is a 45 min documentary coming out shortly too.
I actually watched the documentary last night

Tags
kids

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: