Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 02:22   #106

Re: Powerboat Circumnavigation Possible ?

[QUOTE=Myc;2098709]I'm looking at a Sea Ray L650 and wondering if it's suitable. It's CE-A rated but my concern is having enough fuel.
Any thoughts? Can it be as safe as a trawler?[/QUOTE

1030 or if get then upgrade to 1150 not enough. What I am looking for in a Boat, is 4000 to 5000 Gal tanks size. I would want enough fuel to make it to s point where I can refuel, plus some extra. In looking my target range is min 3000 mile range or more. That will get me from Calif to Hawaii 2580KM with a little to spare. Prefer more however.

Also need to look at how much food you can store. Can you carry least a months worth? Running out of food at sea would not be the makings of a good time. I have came close to this experience while I was in the USCG. I had more meals for my self in personal stock, then the Ship did for the crew.

Also you will need a Boat with a Water Maker. If not you will learn the true meaning of the saying Water every where yet not a drop to drink. Been there before. Pulled out of NYC, and into Iceland 4 weeks later were we could get water and a shower at last. Water tanks was reserved for Cooking Drinking and toilet flushing. NO SHOWERS.
Semper Paratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 03:50   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Myc.

No ➥ Sea Ray L650 Fly (2016-) 2015 Reviews,performance,compare,price,warranty, specs,Reports,Specifications Layout, video | BoatTEST.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 04:41   #108

Sea Ray L650 Fly Engine room to small or to low of a clearance. 4.5feet? If doing a lot travel in open Ocean, you need to be able to go in and have room to manuver around to do repairs and checks.
Semper Paratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 05:17   #109

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

How much glass does the Sea Ray have? I have a typical trawler with aft cabin. Small port holes aft and no holes through the hull forward. Glass on the center cabin. This is great for coastal cruising, cruising the Caribbean, crossing the Gulf of Mexico to Cancun with a CAREFUL eye on the weather. If I had to cross the Atlantic in the summer with it I would rig some sort of storm covers for the windows in the main cabin and would not consider crossing the Pacific with this boat even if it had the range. It is just too long a trip to be confident that I would not encounter at least one storm that may overwhelm the boat. And I wouldn't even consider any real voyaging without roll dampening. I would want hyd. stabilizers and paravanes for back up and flopper stoppers while at anchor.
See this article by Kasten. Roll Attenuation and Bilge Keels

Well maybe..... If the storm shutters were really "bullet proof" but I would not take my grandchildren with me.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 05:33   #110

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Here is a picture of a good coastal cruiser that I feel would be very marginal for real offshore in any weather type work. On any passage of more that a couple of days the outboard motor gets tied down on the aft deck, the dinghy get tied down inverted (and deflated) over the hatch on the front deck and the aft canvas is removed. This hull is better than a lot of powerboats when it comes to keeping green water off the deck. On lake Michigan a few years ago we were in some 6-10 swells that were very short period. Another trawler of about our size and a 48ft sail boat said they were getting a lot of solid water on deck and we only had some spray.

Oops picture didn't work. Gotta work now I'll try later...
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 18:30   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

To extend range with a power boat, commercial fishermen put plastic 55 gallon drums on deck or in fish holds and pump fuel into the main tanks as fuel is used.
Also take the time to determine your most economic speed. Do the math or buy the fuel usage gauges.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 19:46   #112

Hi Eric. I think I spotted your boat when I went out for a walk. Coronado? If so, how did you get that slip????!!!! Might be one of the best slips in the country!
SDChristian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation