Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-01-2015, 12:58   #16

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Power or sail?

1978 solaris 42 1978 sailboat for sale in Outside United States

42ft Catamaran, $45k from CF member. It looks well worn, but it IS only $45k.

Old 27-01-2015, 20:50   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

$40k, however, is not enough capital to start with except for the extremely economical. With this amount of money, you can buy and equip only one of the cheapest and oldest boats around. Keep in mind that the acquisition cost of the boat is only the start -- depending on what kind of cruising you intend to do, you will usually spend at least $20k -- $30k and up to unlimited getting the boat up to condition and properly equipped. So if you're really serious about cruising, you might want to consider ditching your land life altogether and selling your house in order to have decent starting capital. $100k gets you a fairly modest monohull sailboat (and probably not a decent catamaran or trawler), and you will want something on top of that for repairs, upgrades, and equipment, plus you will want to have a "cruising kitty" or decent fund of cash to fall back on. It can be done on a shoestring, but it is far more pleasant if you can scrape together at least a couple hundred k before you start out. Many people use house equity for this.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I am not sure where you live but 100K in Florida buys a luxury liner. 40K buy a good condition 35 foot sailboat here and I see multiple listings for Mainship 34s here for under 40K. That said I throw out the 40K number with the intention of keeping money aside for refurbishing. At retirement I will have 200K in cash without selling the houses.

Old 28-01-2015, 07:31   #18
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
I am not sure where you live but 100K in Florida buys a luxury liner. 40K buy a good condition 35 foot sailboat here and I see multiple listings for Mainship 34s here for under 40K. That said I throw out the 40K number with the intention of keeping money aside for refurbishing. At retirement I will have 200K in cash without selling the houses.
I'll just put this out there for what it's worth:

From what I've heard, Mainship is not the highest quality boat in it's class. Is this true or not, I cannot personally say. I'm not trying to discredit the brand, just suggesting that you compare them with other makes of trawlers.
Old 28-01-2015, 08:05   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Note that I wrote buy AND EQUIP.

Yes, you can buy an old but reasonable 35 foot sailboat for 40k, but you can spend another 20k on getting it ready and barely scratch the surface; another 40k is actually pretty common. I've spent over 100k fixing up and equipping my boat, which was only 8 years old when I bought her, with only 830 hours on the main engine, and I'm not nearly finished yet. I and others have pointed this out to you because new cruisers are always astonished at how much money this takes. I sure was!

200k is good A lot of people cruise successfully and without horrendous hardship on that kind of kitty. Good luck.
Old 28-01-2015, 08:43   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Note that I wrote buy AND EQUIP.

Yes, you can buy an old but reasonable 35 foot sailboat for 40k, but you can spend another 20k on getting it ready and barely scratch the surface; another 40k is actually pretty common. I've spent over 100k fixing up and equipping my boat, which was only 8 years old when I bought her, with only 830 hours on the main engine, and I'm not nearly finished yet. I and others have pointed this out to you because new cruisers are always astonished at how much money this takes. I sure was!

200k is good A lot of people cruise successfully and without horrendous hardship on that kind of kitty. Good luck.

We will have to just disagree on this. I was raised by a sailor. We did not need GPS or other guidance. We covered the globe on a compass, LORAN, and paper charts. The idea of needing 20k in electronics as others have suggested is ridiculous and frankly makes me doubt the skill of a sailor. I am not planning a med cruise, just Bahamas island hopping and have already done that on a Catalina 27 with only a chart and a compass. I grew up in a yacht club and the Dinner Key Marina and no one I know has ever needed to put 100k into a refit. Hell my father and I hand built a 60 foot Bruce Roberts Spray from a empty hull for less than 100k. You must have one hell of a boat.
Old 28-01-2015, 10:25   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Whatever it's worth I'm on almost the same plan, by the time I'm finished, I expect to have three times your planned expense in my boat, and she was not nearly a new boat.
I hope to cruise on less than your 4K budget though, but from what I gather you can cruise very nicely, often staying in nice Marinas with your budget

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-01-2015, 10:53   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The trawler will have more lighted open space. If you have an engine problem you are "dead in the water". A sailboat will go as fast as a trawler generally.
Maybe a raised salon/motorsailor sailboat is a good choice?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 11:12   #23

Boat: 2005 Catalina 350

Quote:
We will have to just disagree on this. I was raised by a sailor. We did not need GPS or other guidance. We covered the globe on a compass, LORAN, and paper charts. The idea of needing 20k in electronics as others have suggested is ridiculous and frankly makes me doubt the skill of a sailor. I am not planning a med cruise, just Bahamas island hopping and have already done that on a Catalina 27 with only a chart and a compass. I grew up in a yacht club and the Dinner Key Marina and no one I know has ever needed to put 100k into a refit. Hell my father and I hand built a 60 foot Bruce Roberts Spray from a empty hull for less than 100k. You must have one hell of a boat.
Hum I think your term of a good condition 35 ft sail boat for under 40 in fl is quite different then most. I also know of a person who sailed to the Bahamas with out gps or electronic he ended up on a reef before he got there. Probably not the best suggestion. I don't think electronics are what makes a sailor. From reading your first post also sounds like is been a long time since you were sailing or boating. Lots changed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-01-2015, 11:33   #24

You can spend a 100k refitting a boat, you can add 10k to 20 k in electronics but...... You really do not need to. It is really more of a " I want to". Plus it kills time and makes folks feel as they are working toward the goal of " heading out" after retirement. A worthy goal. There are tons of solid boats in Florida for less than 30 k . For 8 years I kicked around in the keys,Bahamas,Belize,Roatan Bought a junk boat, put a new engine in. Over all that time I spent less than 60k total on boat / equip/ upgrades. Of course I never hired anybody to do the work.
I sold my IF 36 and made the all to common mistake of thinking I needed a bigger boat. Doing all the work myself the new / old Schucker will have a all up ready to cruise budget of 70 k. No need to double or triple the number, I did it once before and know how to stretch the $ bucks.
I would take a look at the Schucker 436 Motor sailor. I have yet to sail mine so I have no idea how well that will go but will see. During my 8 years sailing the Islander 36 the motor was running 80% of the time , which is not unusual for those out a cruising a sailboat. I burned less than 1/2 gal hour at 5 knots on the IF 36.
I have only run the Schucker 60 miles up the Okeechobee river with the new beta 50. I was using a portable 6 gallon tank and was monitoring fuel consumption closely . At 5.5 knots I was using less than 3/4 gal hour. This was very smooth water and little wind. I'm pretty happy with that. The Schucker Motor-sailor is worth taking a look at. IMO

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-01-2015, 15:04   #25

Boat: Chris-Craft Carribean 35'

Get a motor sailer. I just purchased a 35' 11" foot 18,000 lb. sail boat that will go 8 mph with ease using a fraction of the engine power. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a shower for a fraction of the prices mentioned above. My old boat went 40 mph but I could rarely go that fast on rough seas. I used to get 2 mpg pushing a 1400 lb hull now I get 8 mpg pushing an 18,000 lb hull.
Old 28-01-2015, 15:07   #26

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Dockhead mentioned "seaworthy" in the context of a sailboat being more seaworthy than a power yacht the same size. I think what he means is that unless wave action is minimal (wait for a weather window days or weeks) or right on the nose, a power yacht will roll. A lot.
if you bought a really big one, with stabilizers, it will not be so bad. Just spend 20 to 1000 times more than your budget. But I have seen 150-footers get shaken up in the Gulf Stream.
That is why here where I live in the Eastern caribbean, there is one motor yacht at the marina and 30 sailboats.
If you have to have room, you need a catamaran.
I would buy that 42' catamaran in Panama and have fun down there, and make your way back to the north.
Old 28-01-2015, 16:47   #27

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I'll just put this out there for what it's worth:

From what I've heard, Mainship is not the highest quality boat in it's class. Is this true or not, I cannot personally say. I'm not trying to discredit the brand, just suggesting that you compare them with other makes of trawlers.

I think it's a fair comment; a Mainship is not a Hinckley, or Nordhavn, or Viking, or Hatteras, etc.

OTOH, most I've seen are solid Chevies or Fords, and the one we owned was a great boat. Period. But especially also for the cost, given it's not a (see above).

It happens our current boat is built by a sister company, ditto solid Chevy or Ford.

Wouldn't shy away from the brand. Would pay attention to survey input. Just as I would from a (see above).

-Chris
Old 28-01-2015, 16:56   #28

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:

Hope you didn't take my previous comment as a recommendation or that I think you'd need new electronics. I only mentioned it because I know some folks like to have every navaid known to modern man, maybe even redundant systems... and meant that if you happen to be one of those, the price tag might be a bit higher than you'd imagine.

I've navigated in fog with nothing but compass, chart, and depth sounder. Yep, it can be done. And luckily we didn't get run over

-Chris
Old 28-01-2015, 17:56   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I am 66 with a military disability income and social security giving me $3000/month net income. I have no bills and pay my insurance and other taxes and fees when received. I have a 83' former USCG cutter professionally converted to a yacht. The boat was run down and hadn't run in 5 years when I bought it. My experiences have given me the knowledge to do almost everything on ships and boats, but my biggest expense is labor. There are things I just can't do anymore, so am mostly limited to supervising. I only rarely use a shipyard. Aside from initial repairs and rebuilds, my income allows me to live aboard, maintain the boat, and have about a third of my income left over. When fuel was $4/gallon, I figured I could cruise about 500 miles a month in the summer. (10 gallons/hr @ 10 knots) I don't stay at yacht harbors so don't have those excessive daily rates, but anchor and use a small I/O to go in for supplies. In the winter I stay at a private dock that costs about a third of yacht harbor rates. I not interested in tourist places, so can live inexpensively. Unless I'm doing some major changes, my bank account seems to gain about $1-2000 a month in winter and break even in the summer.
From my experience and viewing the experiences of others during many years on the water... Most older women really don't like living on boats. Some happily put up with it for their husbands and the others either get their way or a divorce. With a spouse with only cruise ship experience, I would suggest something with a high comfort rating with some labor saving devices like a washer, dryer and dishwasher. I would also avoid any rough water for awhile. Better yet rent something for a month.

Tags
sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: