Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-12-2013, 10:40   #16

Re: Power Cat vs Motor Yacht vs Trawler Questions

Over the weekend, the decision was made to go with a powercat. Now begins the fun of deciding which one :-)

I realize I have just scratched the surface of all things nautical but between what I have read and perhaps my age, I can genuinely understand the message behind each reply.

Thank you for the thoughtful replies---they weren't lost on me.

Best wishes all!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:54   #17

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
There is not much different between a motor yacht vs a trawler looking boat Trawler has become the in vogue name for motor boat. You can not tell by the looks above the water line as some brand use the same hull on both their yacht and trawler looking boats. The important factors are the type of hull, planing 15+ knots, semi displacement, up to 15 knots, and full displacement at hull speed 7 to 10 knots. The house power is some what related to the type of hull.

So beside looking at boat above the water line is important to look what is below the water line.
This statement points out the major confusion many green boating people have regarding what type of boat questions. This is one of the crucial first questions to be answered when deciding on what type of boat you want. its the hull type that will be a major influence on what a given boats character will be. Advertising hype has muddied the waters regarding the term trawler to the point the word is of little use other than to sell boats. That was a good post.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:25   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by plympton View Post
Over the weekend, the decision was made to go with a powercat. Now begins the fun of deciding which one :-)
Are you going to buy a new one? If not, are there many used powercats available to choose from?
Old 10-12-2013, 12:11   #19

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Also each type of hull will influence the comfort of the ride and stability. In general! A Plannng hull, which I would include the CATS are fast but usually have a snappy some what un comfortable ride, good initial stability, but poor ultra stability more of a protect water coastal boat. A semi displacement is the best of both a planning and full displacement as they can go faster than hull speed, the ride is not as jerky/more comfortable, reasonable initial and resonable max stability still protect waters and/or coastal cruising. The full displacement, sail boat hull most of you know about.

The feature most are impressed with a CAT is the wide/big living space using the full beam. However a mono hull wide body can have about the same living space as it also uses the entire beam, and will give more over all living space than a CAT. So if space is a big factors also look at wide bodies.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:10   #20
Marine Service Provider

Congrats on your choice in going multihull Plympton. You won't regret it. Just make sure you go with the right design. Too many cats out there don't offer the fuel efficiency and performance that cats really ought to offer. Hull Shape and Weight don't lie. Keep an eye on the HP figures as well. No reason a 10-12 knot boat should need more than 75hp - 120hp to move along sipping fuel. Of course if you want higher cruise you might need more HP and different hull design but look at average speed of most cruising yachts that actually cruise and you will find it closer to 9-10 knot range. My choice for a boat for spring time would be depending on budget... Mainecat P47 889K, Journey LRC 47 889K, Maltese MP52-Trawler 450K, Fountaine Pajot Trawer Cats 750K, Indikon P4 ?,
Old 11-12-2013, 14:53   #21

My wife, who doesn't yet share my enthusiasm for cruising, has reluctantly agreed to give me 3-4 months per year on the water. I want out of New England in the winter. My hope was to give her a condo that we could relocate at whim as opposed to spending the winters at some over 55 community near Orlando.

She definitely prefers the open space of the cats and I'm happy with the range at fast cruise---should we need/want it. Her needs would be a large berth. She definitely gets claustrophobic with the berths crammed into narrow hulls---I think it goes back to the cave incident when we were younger :-)

Though I am not intending to use this as a passagemaker, my needs would be for redundancy, sound engineering practices and accessibility for service.

Many of the cats we've seen really look set up for chartering or entertaining. Though she is more social than I, we are not really the party type. The boat would need to be comfortable as a home away from home for down days and bad weather days. Being stable at anchor or dock is important.

I was becoming familiar with the manufacturers of well built trawlers prior to the decision to go with the cat but have no idea who the manufacturers of choice are for catamarans. Something in the 44-47' range looks like it should be more than adequate.

Horizon is introducing a new 52 cat but that is really larger than I would like and probably more expensive.

The Maine cat 47, I love the lines of it with flybridge but it lacks the space for day to day life. They said they could do a galley down but it's still a small saloon.

I think the Journey had the engines under the bunks---I don't know if I can get past that.

The PDQ 41 is OK if you can find one but also lacks a place for the Lazy Boy

The Lagoon 44 has a great master suite and cockpit but the galley and saloon are lacking.

When I was advised that unless you build it, the boat would be a compromise, I underestimated that a bit.

Thanks again for helping point me in the right direction!
Old 11-12-2013, 15:38   #22

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

Did you look at any Leopard 47PC's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leopard 47PC.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	71917  
Old 11-12-2013, 16:10   #23

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It definitely will require a closer look.

I do remember having looked it over on-line while still deciding on a trawler or not. Originally, I wrote it off due to the small master berth compared to some of the trawlers I was looking at.

At that time, I still thought I could find the perfect boat :-) I was looking for a roomy, bright master for the Mrs. She liked the PDQ 41 but didn't like the Endeavour 48.

However, with the cat decision firmly behind us, next year will be time to actually go out on a few of these boats and feel them out in person.

Any info on build quality of the charter cats?

Any chance there is a Catamaran-Fest?
Old 11-12-2013, 23:05   #24

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ

Just interested to know how a MP52 is different or better than the Journey Cat 47? It seems to me that multiple players are jumping on the idea of a express-cat configuration with a relatively low air height for private use rather than the previous development of the cat as a charter platform.
Old 12-12-2013, 00:09   #25
Marine Service Provider

Schulman,
Would never venture to say any boat is better than the other. J
ust sharing info about the MP52-Trawler as a new design available in the power catamaran category. I have spoken with designer of Journey Catamaran and we have spoken about the Maltese Catamaran project in detail and the different niche it hopes to fill. The Journey is different in the sense it is a much higher powered and faster boat with different hull design. The Maltese was designed more as a trawler for a 10-12 knot cruise with top speed projected at 15-18 knots depending on power configuration. Pricing is different as well with the Journey selling for 889K and Maltese 52 is selling for 450K. Plenty of other differences in the boats as can be seen through the websites. I encourage you to review them both as well as some of the other market offerings like the Mainecat P47 (which I really love) and the new Indikon P4, as well as some Fountain Pajot offerings. I think the Express Catamaran concept is a growing trend that will do well in the future and as result I think we will see a lot more offerings in this range.

Tags
motor, trawler, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: